Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 PM

hey guys I need to fire form some brass I have some handloads that are 154 grn bullet and 52 grains of IMR4350 COL is 3.325

is this a safe load to fireform them?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM

i am not familiar with that load, but i can say the best way to fireform brass is with full power normal loads. there is no need to use a reduced load, in some instances a reduced load may not produce a fully fireformed case.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
Great, thanks for all the feedback guys! I had a look at the jarrett rifles info suggested by bullrambler and that pretty much closed the deal for me. If I can push a 140gr bullet out at 3150fps accurately then really what else do I need.
I really appreciate the versatility of this rifle, if there ever was one cartridge to do it all, but thats an entirely different can of worms.
Rocky Mountain Rifles in Dawson Creek, BC will be building the rifle for me using the Thinhorn model (defiance action) and I will be sure to post some pics when she's done....in 8 months

Good choice on caliber and gunsmith. They built my 338-06AI for me in the summer of 2008 and picked it up October 30 that fall.

Good article in the new AO magazine out. A 260AI...might give you some insight on your new custom 280AI.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Default .280 AI loads

Gentleman
I have created a sheet based on the information Barns bullets has given me off the telephone. They seem to be very helpful when asked. The information is not published in a manual, however it comes right from Barns. I hope this attachment shows...

280 Ackley Improved 140gr Barns TTSX.pdf
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM

I recently decided to build myself another 280. I have reamer and dies for both but, when it came time to cut the chamber, settled on the standard 280 for now. Here's the thing; if you can get 3220 with a 280AI, you can get 3170 with a standard 280. That is, providing you are loading to the same pressure with the same components. Reality bites. Having said that, the 280AI IS a good cartridge and is enjoying increased popularity, thanks to Nosler. There was some considerable confusion created when Nosler chose a different headspace measurement than was standard for the 280 Ackley Improved for the past fifty years or so. A classic example of what happens when engineers get involved; they take a simple concept, make it complicated, and screw it up! Leeper