Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Default NSR sturgean

i want to target sturgeon this year. never caught one. on the forum i only here of them being caught in or around edmonton / ft sask. i would presume the closer you get to the mountians that they would start to thin out...so is it safe to say the farther east one goes from edmonton the fish might be more plentiful? anyone ever fish them aroun smoky lake or up to the sask border? i hate the thought of fishing anywhere near edmonton. i hate citys and dont want to be anywhere within 2 hours from the city. thx.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Try the RDR theres a number of em just outside of town(make sure your alowed bait in your area) and use a weight(triangle) line 3 way swival to you main line and your bait line. use single hooks on a chunk of squid. sometimes you wont get any at all but sometimes youll get em. if you see/hear a big splash cast it over there but upstreem of it.theres 25lbers in there but in the RSR there alot more plenitful same tactics
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM

RDR? red deer river? didnt realize sturgeon were in there.... just outside of red deer you say?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM

yup down where the bait ban is lifted i also snaged some on jigs in black color. and yes red deer river.

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd..._96644989.html
Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM

i would really like to know about the stretch of river between smoky lake and the sask border... anyone fish it?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

I did see one jump two years ago while playing golf at River Ridge in SE Edmonton.

I have also heard of a big one being lost in the NSR in the bend under the ESSO refinery, a number of years ago.

River runs pretty straight after fort sask, and I am guessing cools off, this might be a deterrent for the elusive Sturgeon??
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

theres a realy good chance that the fish u saw i still there. go back and fsh it
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
I did see one jump two years ago while playing golf at River Ridge in SE Edmonton.

I have also heard of a big one being lost in the NSR in the bend under the ESSO refinery, a number of years ago.

River runs pretty straight after fort sask, and I am guessing cools off, this might be a deterrent for the elusive Sturgeon??
Interesting. I've seen a few barely surface (not fully though) and that's been quite rare. Seen plenty jump (fully outta the water) when they're being brought in but never on their own.
What a rush seeing a chubby sturg come flying outta the water straight vertical 10 ft from the boat! Good times.com!
Sorry OP can't help you on that neck of the woods.
As for bait, med-large minnows on single hook or the much debated pick rig with any weights work best for me. Location is key. Deep water and sandy bottom is great imo. I don't use super heavy line at all nor any leaders or such when sturg fishing, I find if I tire the big girls out a bit but not overly as to not stress them to much, they eventually come in quite easily. Don't get me wrong, you can expect a good 20min battle or longer with some larger aggressive ones for sure, regardless of gear. That's me though, I've just been lucky not to lose any bigguns thus far. Many others will tell you to buy super heavy line, I like lighter as the fight is funner and it allows me to catch other species at the same time. There's a few different styles out there that all work, pick what works best for you, could be different up north as for what works compared to the SSR but I doubt it. Toughest part is finding them...but once you do... My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Interesting. I've seen a few barely surface (not fully though) and that's been quite rare. Seen plenty jump (fully outta the water) when they're being brought in but never on their own.
What a rush seeing a chubby sturg come flying outta the water straight vertical 10 ft from the boat! Good times.com!
Sorry OP can't help you on that neck of the woods.
As for bait, med-large minnows on single hook or the much debated pick rig with any weights work best for me. Location is key. Deep water and sandy bottom is great imo. I don't use super heavy line at all nor any leaders or such when sturg fishing, I find if I tire the big girls out a bit but not overly as to not stress them to much, they eventually come in quite easily. Don't get me wrong, you can expect a good 20min battle or longer with some larger aggressive ones for sure, regardless of gear. That's me though, I've just been lucky not to lose any bigguns thus far. Many others will tell you to buy super heavy line, I like lighter as the fight is funner and it allows me to catch other species at the same time. There's a few different styles out there that all work, pick what works best for you, could be different up north as for what works compared to the SSR but I doubt it. Toughest part is finding them...but once you do... My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!
While targeting surgeon I regularly see them jump out of the water all the wayseveral times for that matter Its a pretty common and debated behaviour that sturg display there have been days when you wonder why am I not catching any they're all over the place using light tackle is greatly frowned upon among the many who have great respect for these giants have some respect for the endangered species and use proper tackle while targeting them losing one large female is more than a minor setback for the species do some research on them and you will know why they are slow maturing and they don't spawn every year risking the well being of the species for a more fun fight is very very.........never mind useless to finish that sentence. I use heavy tackle and counter act it with fluorocarbon leaders and I have no Issue catching hundreds of gold eye, walleye suckers pike and The occasional burbot wherever I fish for sturg in the nsr
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
While targeting surgeon I regularly see them jump out of the water all the wayseveral times for that matter Its a pretty common and debated behaviour that sturg display there have been days when you wonder why am I not catching any they're all over the place using light tackle is greatly frowned upon among the many who have great respect for these giants have some respect for the endangered species and use proper tackle while targeting them losing one large female is more than a minor setback for the species do some research on them and you will know why they are slow maturing and they don't spawn every year risking the well being of the species for a more fun fight is very very.........never mind useless to finish that sentence. I use heavy tackle and counter act it with fluorocarbon leaders and I have no Issue catching hundreds of gold eye, walleye suckers pike and The occasional burbot wherever I fish for sturg in the nsr
Hmm, odd we rarely see them surface round here, good to know. Anyway,Yes I am aware of the debates at hand and have done ample research in the past. I can appreciate ur take on "things" as I do have great respect for these giant beauties as well despite what u may think. I and those I fish with take great care in dealing with sturgeon which compared to many many other sturg hunters out there, I cannot say the same about. Don't feel I have to justify my ways to you though, your entitled to your opinion for sure. I have never seen a dead sturgeon, don't ever want to either, and of the hundreds my crew and I have caught, I can honestly say not 1 has swam away with struggle nor has 1 been found floating around or dead on shore. But thanks for the personal attack of character especially as you have never fished with me nor seen me fish Mr. ........... nevermind, useless to finish that sentence too.
"None preaches better than the ant, and it says nothing".
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM

Furthermore Alodar,
many anglers would easily argue that muscling in these fish can be much worse on them but I don't really want to get into a big debate here on it. To each their own though imo. I'll gladly agree to disagree.
I personally believe they are extremely tough, never see them swallow a hook either, ever, AND realize they are a sensitive species but they are recovering nicely and if they are truly endangered, then where they reside, should just simply be illegal to fish. I honestly don't wanna sound insincere but these are my beliefs and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
Cheers.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Don't worry about it you do what you want. I however would like to hear the theory that bringing them in fast and releasing them quickly harms them perhaps you could enlighten me I'd like to hear your take on It or The take you've heard or anyone else who believes this as I've never heard it. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate it brings a lot of info to the table
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about it you do what you want. I however would like to hear the theory that bringing them in fast and releasing them quickly harms them perhaps you could enlighten me I'd like to hear your take on It or The take you've heard or anyone else who believes this as I've never heard it. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate it brings a lot of info to the table
Something is wrong here cody.Is your sweetie typing this for you? Your spelling has improved dramatically over 1 day! LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Thanx, glad I have your permission to do what I want. Never did I say "releasing them quickly harms them" nor did I say 'I' "believe bringing them in fast harms them". Please don't put your words in my mouth. Only makes u look well ....
Honestly, I don't know the answer to the latter(sp?) quote. I've just seen what I've seen and personally find our ways work well and like stated, see no fish harmed in the process. So
Tough to even wanna debate with someone like you, as you've posted too many derogatory misinformed comments in the past to lotsa folk on here.
P.S. - How long do those little sturg hang on your line before you even notice a bite on your monster fish friendly line, half hour?
P.P.S. - We are talking about sturgeon right?... not "surgeon"s
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Something is wrong here cody.Is your sweetie typing this for you? Your spelling has improved dramatically over 1 day! LOL
Lol ur such a clown sum times leno good one Haha my typing is terrible yeah....... lucky today I guess
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Furthermore Alodar,
many anglers would easily argue that muscling in these fish can be much worse on them .......
so what ur saying is.......
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Most sturgeon Guru's wont say a whole lot about fishing for them. It takes decades to figure them out. Sturgeon fishing is very personal to most guys who have thousands of hours invested on the NSR ...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Thanx, glad I have your permission to do what I want. Never did I say "releasing them quickly harms them" nor did I say 'I' "believe bringing them in fast harms them". Please don't put your words in my mouth. Only makes u look well ....
Honestly, I don't know the answer to the latter(sp?) quote. I've just seen what I've seen and personally find our ways work well and like stated, see no fish harmed in the process. So
Tough to even wanna debate with someone like you, as you've posted too many derogatory misinformed comments in the past to lotsa folk on here.
P.S. - How long do those little sturg hang on your line before you even notice a bite on your monster fish friendly line, half hour?
P.P.S. - We are talking about sturgeon right?... not "surgeon"s
why would you need MY permission to do anything. I didn't put any words in your mouth I simply elaborated on what bringing them in fast or as u said exactly muscling them In which in turn allows them to be released sooner after hooking up. That baby sturgeon was on the line for less than 2 minutes Including the picture and release....... funny how the person accusing of a character attack Is the one doing the attacking I simply believe its ignorant to use light line to hunt for sturgeon " for more fun" also I know several f&w officers in my area who agree with me while its not illegal I can still disagree with you . Now about that opinion of muscling them in harms them more than prolonging the fight
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Most sturgeon Guru's wont say a whole lot about fishing for them. It takes decades to figure them out. Sturgeon fishing is very personal to most guys who have thousands of hours invested on the NSR ...
yep. they will and do porpoise out of the water, and there is a lot of good holding water on the NSR in the edmonton area.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
I agree but I'm simply asking for the take on the muscling them in vs fighting them for a long time I simply wish to be enlightened as I never heard that theory before
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
yep. they will and do porpoise out of the water, and there is a lot of good holding water on the NSR in the edmonton area.
There are a lot of holes that's for sure
Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
why would you need MY permission to do anything. I didn't put any words in your mouth I simply elaborated on what bringing them in fast or as u said exactly muscling them In which in turn allows them to be released sooner after hooking up. That baby sturgeon was on the line for less than 2 minutes Including the picture and release....... funny how the person accusing of a character attack Is the one doing the attacking I simply believe its ignorant to use light line to hunt for sturgeon " for more fun" also I know several f&w officers in my area who agree with me while its not illegal I can still disagree with you . Now about that opinion of muscling them in harms them more than prolonging the fight
Between the PMs sent to me, telling me to ignore u, and the fact that u don't seem to be reading posts clearly and just jumping to that "post reply" button in front of you, I don't think u really care. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm defending my right to fish within the means of the law, and if u wanna call it ignorant go ahead. Sell BS somewhere else bud, we're all stocked up here
Sorry OP, thread turned on ya and I was part of it I guess, my bad.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
It was outta the water for less than 2 min, not on the line for less than 2 min. Now I will reply to your p.m. which I hope is relative.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
It was outta the water for less than 2 min, not on the line for less than 2 min. Now I will reply to your p.m. which I hope is relative.
Maybe I should clarify it hit I set the hook and reeled it in in aprox 45 seconds took photo and released it all in what I recall as less then 2 minutes total from hookset to release. It was so small it didn't fight at all really
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Fishfinder,

I noticed your comment about using lighter line and enjoying the fight more. I'm just wondering what you consider to be light. What do you use for the sturgeon? I do realize that the larger fish will give a long fight no matter what you use. I don't know about others, but I would personally have an issue with someone using a medium action rod with 10 or 15 lb line, but if you're stepping up to a heavier rod with 20-25 lb line then that would be alright in my opinion. This is just my opinion though.

I'm not trying to attack you by any means, but rather I'd like to discuss what is good to use. Personally I would be using at least 30 lb braid, but that's just me. I find that a heavy rod can still be quite sensitive to light bites. I've only fished for the lake sturgeon a couple times, but have fished the white sturgeon in BC as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM

Thumbs up

I have never caught a sturgeon before, but really hope I can get it done this coming summer. I have had a couple of invites from a few of AOs sturgeon masters and hoping it all works out.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 03-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should clarify it hit I set the hook and reeled it in in aprox 45 seconds took photo and released it all in what I recall as less then 2 minutes total from hookset to release. It was so small it didn't fight at all really
LOL, thought u were referring to a different pic of mine hehe. My bad. Anyway sent u a p.m. replying to ur questions. Hopefully I cleared a few things up. Will continue on this matter at another time, 530 a.m. is approaching way too fast.
Cheers, sorry if I offended u, your right about one thing for sure...I am ignorant, Aquarious nature, plan to rule the world some day....haha, JK.
Cheers.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Fishfinder,

I noticed your comment about using lighter line and enjoying the fight more. I'm just wondering what you consider to be light. What do you use for the sturgeon? I do realize that the larger fish will give a long fight no matter what you use. I don't know about others, but I would personally have an issue with someone using a medium action rod with 10 or 15 lb line, but if you're stepping up to a heavier rod with 20-25 lb line then that would be alright in my opinion. This is just my opinion though.

I'm not trying to attack you by any means, but rather I'd like to discuss what is good to use. Personally I would be using at least 30 lb braid, but that's just me. I find that a heavy rod can still be quite sensitive to light bites. I've only fished for the lake sturgeon a couple times, but have fished the white sturgeon in BC as well.
Ok, I gotta go to bed lol but I'll answer this one too, quick. (But u may not like the reply...)
I use nothing heavier than 14lb Mono line when fishing the SSR on med-hev rod.
And for the record, I do not let these wonderful fish just hang on my line, it's always tight, and if they aint running...I'm reeling
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I have never caught a sturgeon before, but really hope I can get it done this coming summer. I have had a couple of invites from a few of AOs sturgeon masters and hoping it all works out.
I'm sure it will! I am no master by any means but if your ever in these necks of the praries....drop me a line

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 03-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.