Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Default Moving Truck Rentals

Absolutely blown away that Uhaul wants almost $100 +0.69 cents per mile for renting a 10 ft cube van for 8 hours on a Saturday.

Going to call Driving Force and Budget to see what rates they offer. My friend moved 400km with Budget in a day and it cost him about $400. I'm moving less than 40km!

For a $100, I'll take the extra time and just do it in more trips with the pickup....
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM

If you've got the pickup to tow with - uhaul has some large cargo trailers for $40ish/day - no mileage restrictions.

Just sayin'
Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Unless things have changed, I rented from U-Haul a few times and their trailers always had milage restrictions unless you were (in-town) plus their trailers are small and usually not very efficient. I have been renting trailers from a local flaman dealer, 6x12 enclosed, 65 a day, no milage, no hassels, like really no money down or nothing. Have also rented from trailers unlimited in edmonton with good success as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM

I've even seen Shaw GMC advertising rental trailers, which I thought interesting. I've got my own tandem 16x7 so haven't had to rent. Competitive rental places such as Budget, Driving Force and others should not be overlooked, frankly for something with an engine and brakes I'd prefer anywhere besides UHaul (mechanic competency wise, I read many horrors of UHaul mishaps previously)

I think last weekend with the August to September hump is traditionally the busiest time to find anything rental for moving, mostly due to students moving for the new post-secondary school year adding to the regular month-end rental traffic.