Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Wolf lake (Bonnyville) access

Need some help with a Wolf Lake, never being there before.

Does anybody know if there an access to the Wolf lake campground?
I know it is closed for a season by now, but can I still camp there or launch a boat?
Is the lake crowded this time of a year?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:01 PM

Take a look on google earth. Its easy as pie to get there. Once you hit gravel you drive north another 15 minutes and you're there. Launch is good. You could drive there in a car. I think you can use the day sites, but there frequently are hunters a quaders parked there in the fall. The lake is not crowded as it is quiet large and only has about 20 parking spots at the boat launch. Walleye fishing is typically fair to excellent but you cannot keep any unless you have tags. I would also make sure you keep the correct sizes. There is a Fire Tower on the hill that F & W commonly stay at and were busy catching poachers this summer. Last time i was there my sister saw them with three tagged walleye that were too big for the size slot on the tag. You will have to work hard to find big pike. The walleye focussed fisheries management has resulted in a decline in pike numbers and especially large pike. I believe SRD netting has also shown a decline in pike numbers and size.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
Take a look on google earth. Its easy as pie to get there. Once you hit gravel you drive north another 15 minutes and you're there. Launch is good. You could drive there in a car. I think you can use the day sites, but there frequently are hunters a quaders parked there in the fall. The lake is not crowded as it is quiet large and only has about 20 parking spots at the boat launch. Walleye fishing is typically fair to excellent but you cannot keep any unless you have tags. I would also make sure you keep the correct sizes. There is a Fire Tower on the hill that F & W commonly stay at and were busy catching poachers this summer. Last time i was there my sister saw them with three tagged walleye that were too big for the size slot on the tag. You will have to work hard to find big pike. The walleye focussed fisheries management has resulted in a decline in pike numbers and especially large pike. I believe SRD netting has also shown a decline in pike numbers and size.
I think the decline in big pike is due to overharvesting. Once a big pike is removed from the lake she's gone for good. I heard there has possibly been some poaching going on in the spring while large pike are spawning in the rivers. Pretty sad if this is true. Taking the big vulnerable hens.

Good luck out there on Wolf Lake, a beautiful lake with all kinds of interesting structure to fish.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
\ The walleye focussed fisheries management has resulted in a decline in pike numbers and especially large pike. I believe SRD netting has also shown a decline in pike numbers and size.
Yup
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I think the decline in big pike is due to overharvesting. Once a big pike is removed from the lake she's gone for good. I heard there has possibly been some poaching going on in the spring while large pike are spawning in the rivers. Pretty sad if this is true. Taking the big vulnerable hens.

Good luck out there on Wolf Lake, a beautiful lake with all kinds of interesting structure to fish.
Most of the river poaching/netting is for walleye. I have heard people say they have pulled up on huge gut piles of them in the spring. Never seen it for walleye myself. Just for pike in the small lakes around wolf lake. I know poaching is a big issue up there but they're starting to get better at catching people. I know a guy who got a busted poaching walleye on Wolf and they had photos of him doing it. From what his brother told me they caught him with trail cameras.