Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 PM
varmitr

Default skidsteer consultations

maybe bobcatguy or anyone can help:
what winter oil do you run in yours? manual recommends 15/40, but it can barely turn over in the minus's, im thinking 0-30, suggestions??
also, looking for a auger drive for a (1996 with 1200hrs) 38hp bobcat 751, any suggestion as to make?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
61A

Katta69 can help with this, give him a PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
katts69

varmitr, we run 15-40 synthetic year round, both skid steers have kubota engines and soon as the temp drops below -5 or so they are always plugged in. one has a block heater the other a circulating heater. eveerything we own is diesel, the only thing i run lighter oil in is my f-350, change to 0-30 in the winter months. i dont think the 0-30 will hurt anything, with only a 38 hp machine i assume you are not working it to hard, so you should be fine.

do you have the universal plate on your machine?
we have the wheat land model auger. the thomas machines run 21 gpm flow rate, that is the only thing you will have to watch when you pick an auger up, ensure you match the flow rate of the auger to your machine. with ours we can run a 12 inch but in hard ground it will slow right down.

anyways hope this helps a little, take care, rob
Old 03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
varmitr

wow, synthetic 15 40 year round.$$$ i drove a 133 thomas for a while but didnt know enuf about one to actually operate it. i only do a couple of parking lots and acreage type work averaging 10-20 hours a month on weekends
the original block heater gave out on mine, (BTW it has a peugeut diesel) i put a 1500watt temro circulator block heater on it and it heats it in about 30 mins.
ive looked at the wheatland one that bolts to the bucket side... is yours it the chain or direct drive?
the bobcat one is $2500, so its cost prohibitive for a very small business
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
bobcatguy1

I always use polar plus 0W30 from UFA in the winter & 5W30 in the summer. I just looked in a manuel I have & they recommend 5W30 for temp ranges-40 to + 30 C Main thing is to make sure whatever you use is rated for use in diesels. Not all oils are. Manuel says synthetic is good from -40 to + 50 C
Can't help you on the auger end. Maybe call bobcat of RD 346-9011 & see if they have used one They are affiliated with Ed & Cal Drumheller is an independant & good to deal with. You can prolly find something cheaper than the bobcat model. Dial before you dig.