Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Default 1 of those days

2005 dura max .Filled up last night at Ufa.Plus 3 didn't put fuel conditioner in the tank.Started up this morning no issues. Did not let it fully warm up.Made it 500 yards from the yard then quit.Thanks to a neighbor got a tow back to the yard.Began the process of trying to warm it up enough to get it running.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM

Sounds like you might have got summer fuel
Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 PM

How cold did it get last night ?? Can't see the fuel gelling overnight, even if it was summer diesel.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM

I doubt it was summer fuel. I have about 4000 litres of summer fuel on hand that I plan on using in my tractors and pick up this winter. Never had an issue as long as I’m running Howes Conditioner
Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 PM

Throw some stanadyne in it.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Check the fuel filter.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM

I thought I was having fuel system issues in my Cummins 5.9. Changed the filter twice in the last 3 weeks and for the hell of it let the tank run low and refuelled elsewhere. Filled up at Co Op instead of Petro Can and it’s running like a stud now. Not sure if anyone else had issues with Petro Cans diesel as of late but my truck would sputter or hesitate off the line and idle very rough. It even stalled a couple times. Now like I say with the Co Op fuel it’s perfect...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I thought I was having fuel system issues in my Cummins 5.9. Changed the filter twice in the last 3 weeks and for the hell of it let the tank run low and refuelled elsewhere. Filled up at Co Op instead of Petro Can and it’s running like a stud now. Not sure if anyone else had issues with Petro Cans diesel as of late but my truck would sputter or hesitate off the line and idle very rough. It even stalled a couple times. Now like I say with the Co Op fuel it’s perfect...
Not necessarily CO-OP or Petro Cans or whoevers fuel that is bad, its the particular station you fuel up at that has crap in its underground tanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhills View Post
2005 dura max .Filled up last night at Ufa.Plus 3 didn't put fuel conditioner in the tank.Started up this morning no issues. Did not let it fully warm up.Made it 500 yards from the yard then quit.Thanks to a neighbor got a tow back to the yard.Began the process of trying to warm it up enough to get it running.

running the old ford, the only place i have ever had trouble with fuel has been at ufa, they like to make money by selling us water in there diesel. i have only had it happen a handful of times and always on a fill up at colder than -25, poured in lots of conditioner, and after a short rough idle it clears up,

looks like they are back to there old ways early this year!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Not necessarily CO-OP or Petro Cans or whoevers fuel that is bad, its the particular station you fuel up at that has crap in its underground tanks.
That could be I guess...
Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Most stations have switched over to winter fuel a couple weeks ago, normally by the end of October its all winter fuel, sounds more like you got water or crap when you filled up.

I have an 06 duramax and it has never had a drop of fuel through it without fuel conditioner, 100 ml per tank in the summer and about 200 ml per tank in the winter at about 1/2 cent a liter treated its cheep insurance, plus the additives help keep the injectors clean.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth, just for the record I use kleen-flo

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 AM

Your truck is horded in pretty good, but it wont warm up that well with electric heat.

Get a Tiger Torch and a 20 pound tank, get a piece of stove pipe and put it under the vehicle.

Next start the tiger torch and adjust it so you are blowing HEAT AND NOT FLAME under the vehicle. keep an eye on it in case the flame length changes for some reason

Tarped and boarded in like that it should be good to go in 1/2 an hour at these temps.

Drain the water from the fuel filter and add a bottle of sea foam or like conditioner to the fuel.

Drewski
Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 AM

This is why keeping a spare fuel filter and fuel conditioner is crutial.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Sounds like water in the fuel, got a bad batch at the Esso by me once back when I had a 7.3L Ford, never fueled up there again.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Round 2.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 PM

I have an 05 as well. -8 and she is hard hard starting. Everyone online says the glow plugs are weak in these trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 PM

First time the old girl has been towed. Headed for a shop in Manning.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM

OP did you replace the fuel filter after it gelled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I have an 05 as well. -8 and she is hard hard starting. Everyone online says the glow plugs are weak in these trucks.

Buddy has an 04 (but the same LLY engine as the 05) and his started like crap below 0 until he got a new glowplug control module.

I had two 06 Duramax trucks, both would start with no issue at -20 if need be, not plugged in. One even had bad injectors and would start fine (albeit it’d run like crap).
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
OP did you replace the fuel filter after it gelled?

Buddy has an 04 (but the same LLY engine as the 05) and his started like crap below 0 until he got a new glowplug control module.

I had two 06 Duramax trucks, both would start with no issue at -20 if need be, not plugged in. One even had bad injectors and would start fine (albeit it’d run like crap).

Anyway to test the module before I test every plug?

Old 11-18-2018, 11:41 AM

How cold is it up there anyway?

My 2011 Duramax has started at -30 without being plugged in.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Anyway to test the module before I test every plug?

Iirc if the module pooched, none will work and it'll be fairly obvious. A good scan tool should tell you which glow plugs are shot if that's the issue.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Iirc if the module pooched, none will work and it'll be fairly obvious. A good scan tool should tell you which glow plugs are shot if that's the issue.

I have a scan tool but I believe it requires codes to tell me anything, which I do not have.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I have a scan tool but I believe it requires codes to tell me anything, which I do not have.

How hard does it start in the -8? I remember one day it was -10 overnight and my buddy's truck with the bad glowplug module took about 60 seconds of cranking before it came to life. His didn't pop up a CEL, but he did have an underlying code for it though (which I believe glowplug codes also do). Have you tried scanning or haven't bothered because of no CEL?

If you have no codes, not sure what to tell you as I'm not a Duramax mechanic. I do know that glowplug modules on the 04.5 and 05 Duramax trucks were notorious for going out and yours sounds typical of that issue.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM

Sounds like a glow plug module. Mine went out and my Duramax wouldn’t start when it was below zero. I’ve always ran UFA fuel and never had an issue with it
Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
How hard does it start in the -8? I remember one day it was -10 overnight and my buddy's truck with the bad glowplug module took about 60 seconds of cranking before it came to life. His didn't pop up a CEL, but he did have an underlying code for it though (which I believe glowplug codes also do). Have you tried scanning or haven't bothered because of no CEL?

If you have no codes, not sure what to tell you as I'm not a Duramax mechanic. I do know that glowplug modules on the 04.5 and 05 Duramax trucks were notorious for going out and yours sounds typical of that issue.

It barely starts in -8. I have to cycle the glow plugs 3-4 times cranking for 20 seconds or more each time. I have tried plugging my reader in with no visible CEL so not sure if it’s just my reader that can’t bring up the underlying code.

Everything I’ve been reading seems true with what everybody has said on here. Time for a replacement I think.