Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Post Lac Ste Anne Ice fishing

Anyone have any tips? Went out last week and caught 2 pike under the bridge, we were there for almost 6 hours. If possibble we would love to get on some perch. We unfortunately do not have any electronics so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for catching perch (or any species) so we don’t have that bad of a day again. As well as lures/techniques we have been running jig heads with minnows on tip ups and jigging, also have tried a few smaller trout spoons.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM

when fishing with no electronics i always end up using small micro tungsten jigs, nothing to large. You will also need an ultralight rod or a spring bobber to detect the bites. 4 pound test line for the finesse.

if you dont have any of those to help you then i recommend buying it. I hate going out perch fishing and seeing my friend use some Medium heavy rods on 20 pound power pro cuz they were to cheap. In the end i can go home catching many and they wonder why they didnt get any.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Bathometric maps for structure

See if Atlas of Alberta Lakes lists Lac Ste. Anne.

There are "humps" off shore from Mission point. These are 35FOW to 15ish FOW humps. They are far off shore, but if the mops show the humps maybe you can get a GPS bearing off of the maps to narrow the search.

These humps have always been pretty good spots.

Fishing under the bridge is risky as there IS current there.

Drewski
Old 02-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
when fishing with no electronics i always end up using small micro tungsten jigs, nothing to large. You will also need an ultralight rod or a spring bobber to detect the bites. 4 pound test line for the finesse.

if you dont have any of those to help you then i recommend buying it. I hate going out perch fishing and seeing my friend use some Medium heavy rods on 20 pound power pro cuz they were to cheap. In the end i can go home catching many and they wonder why they didnt get any.

I like to use a spool of 4 pound line for perch no reel no rod. Just a deadly dick covered in maggots. You can feel every little nibble and they are easy to pull up by hand. I have also just added 30 feet of 4 pound line to my 20 pound line then just took it off after. It’s a easy alternative for the guy that only fishes perch once a year or years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngulateMeatEater View Post
I like to use a spool of 4 pound line for perch no reel no rod. Just a deadly dick covered in maggots. You can feel every little nibble and they are easy to pull up by hand. I have also just added 30 feet of 4 pound line to my 20 pound line then just took it off after. It’s a easy alternative for the guy that only fishes perch once a year or years.

Interesting technique you use for perch. I think I’ll stick with keeping my pants done up though......
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Interesting technique you use for perch. I think I’ll stick with keeping my pants done up though......

Old 02-05-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
See if Atlas of Alberta Lakes lists Lac Ste. Anne.

There are "humps" off shore from Mission point. These are 35FOW to 15ish FOW humps. They are far off shore, but if the mops show the humps maybe you can get a GPS bearing off of the maps to narrow the search.

These humps have always been pretty good spots.

Fishing under the bridge is risky as there IS current there.

Drewski
Yeah we were very careful around the bridge as there was open water, we made sure there was at least 5 inches of ice. For the humps do you recommend fishing more in the 15 FOW range or closer to 35 or a happy medium? Thanks!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Default Fish

Iv never had great luck here....Few hammer handle pike..Bout it
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM

when fishing the humps, you want to be OFF THE BREAK in the deeper water mid day, and on the humps morning and evening.

Active fish will go up the break up top to feed, and then hold in the deeper water during the day.

You can catch fish on the tops during the day, and sometimes you get steady action. More often you get fish that will respond to your bait / lure, though not actively feeding, at the base of the break during the day.

Cut a bunch of holes from deep to shallow and work them back and forth until you figure out how active the fish are up top during the day.

But you do want to be on top early and late.

This pattern holds true for most lakes that I have fished with mid lake structure. The far East end of Cutbank on Slave is a prime example. Nothing on the "ramp" until the sun starts to dip, then steady action to dark.

Drewski
Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Perch are pretty tough to come by in this lake. Better chance of catching pike, walleye, or whitefish. At least I've never caught any perch here.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Anyone have any tips? Went out last week and caught 2 pike under the bridge, we were there for almost 6 hours. If possibble we would love to get on some perch. We unfortunately do not have any electronics so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for catching perch (or any species) so we don’t have that bad of a day again. As well as lures/techniques we have been running jig heads with minnows on tip ups and jigging, also have tried a few smaller trout spoons.
I would be super careful by that bridge, or even better avoid it all together. Not a great plan to ice fish water with any sort of a current. 5” shows how shallow it is comparatively to everywhere else. I love fishing but its not worth going under man.

Lac ste anne isnt the place for perch.

Good luck, stay safe.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 PM

I don’t think I ever seen a perch in this lake. Burbots should be spawning now, find them and you will have a good chance at whites... all ways had good luck around the island or right in front of the main pier...

Tags
ice fishing, lac ste anne, no electronics