Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Camp Wainwright 2017 Totals

The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

PW season

Deer total: 93 (65 MUDE bucks/9 WTDE bucks)
Moose total: 41 (15 bulls)
Elk total: 2 (2 bulls)

Max deer hunters on one day 109/150

Seems like population and age class are improving with the mild winters. Best WTDE was around 150 class, MUDE 160 class, Moose 50" and elk 300 class.

S
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks Shed! Was wondering how it went. Hopefully there's one cow moose left with our name on it. We hunt tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM

That’s more elk than usual in all seasons isn’t it? Looking forward to seeing what comes of this season!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Thanks to Shane / Delaney and their team at the desk. Great job. Also to Kim and his range patrol team.

I was in for cow moose - day 1 saw 23 deer (4 nice MD Bucks - 1 WT) and 5 bull moose, day 2 saw - 3 MD does, 4 bull moose and 3 cows - finished hunting at 9:30. Very noisy snow and animals were moving particularly MD Bucks. Every buck I saw was either following a doe or was nose to the ground
Old 12-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Wow, thats a lot of moose ! How does that compare to other years? Good luck everybody.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the update Shedcrazy. I am heading down for the first time ever hunting the base for the Dec 11 season. It sounds like there are some good deer numbers this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM

A few years ago I was drawn with zero priority.
I don't think 3 times in 4 years was out of the realm of possibility a few years ago, as long as you were putting in for the last seasons.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM

Thank you Shed for keeping us posted... Appreciate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

PW season

Deer total: 93 (65 MUDE bucks/9 WTDE bucks)
Moose total: 41 (15 bulls)
Elk total: 2 (2 bulls)

Max deer hunters on one day 109/150

Seems like population and age class are improving with the mild winters. Best WTDE was around 150 class, MUDE 160 class, Moose 50" and elk 300 class.

S
Old 12-04-2017, 10:37 AM

love the idea of military guys getting opportunities on the bases. my experience is they always bent over backwards to try to let the hunters feel welcome and be successful. Great job guys.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 AM

X2, it's a really well run hunt, from the CF folks, the bio's and the other hunter's.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM

I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Great photo Chet. That's what it's all about!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

What a cool old warrior ...... very unique rack. Photo says it all, thanks for sharing !!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Love your sons smile. And a wicked nice old buck. Congrats Chet. I will be in for the last rifle hunt with my 19 yr old. He has been joining me out hunting since he was 4 ish. Hoping he can tag a good buck to compliment the moose he got in Nov.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:

That is an awesome buck. I would rather have that then a 180" typical. Nice work.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Nice buck and so awesome you were able to bring your son. He will remember that forever. I have similar experiences and memories with my son there.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM

He's fine, the rules say scarlet or blaze orange
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Yea first of all you're wrong, red or orange is acceptable. If you read the rules you would know that. And second, why not just congratulate this guy who had an awesome hunt with his son? Instead of trying to take someone down a notch.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Good work Shed, I posted on the wrong forum yesterday wondering about amount of snow. The forecast is for warmer temps so the snow may not be so crunchy but how deep? My wife and I go down for Thursday.
And Chet, that's one fine deer and memory, well done.
Doug
Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Biggest mulie I’ve seen come out of camp wainwright this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C71A6E9-E0FA-4FBC-BCA5-4D0372A11813.jpg (27.6 KB, 823 views)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:07 PM

awesome picture and great your kid was there with you. that's an great deer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I was told that the base was opened up to other peoples who perhaps didn't hold the draw authorization (similar to what was allowed at Suffield several years ago and hundreds of elk were harvested there). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and if so, are the managers of the hunt tracking the number, species etc. of all animals harvested by this group that don't require the appropriate draw(s).
Also, if this is the case, are these groups subjected to the same rules as the holders of the draw authorizations (such as wearing red or scarlett, no off-road travel in the annex except to retrieve harvested animals etc.).
I believe this hunt has been going on for over 35 years and I commend our Fish and Wildlife for monitoring and managing this wonderful opportunity to produce the quality experience that we have enjoyed up to this point. I am concerned about the future of this hunt if we experience a large harvest of animals like what occurred in Suffield. Seems to me that our Provincial F&W Officials have limited authority on lands that are Federally owned and that decisions are often being made in Ottawa.
I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks
I can answer a few of the questions and some answers you should ask the powers that be. Plus this topic would be great in another thread. First Nations hunters are allowed on base and have been for several years. They must follow all the same rules (hunt days, hunt times, proper weapon, safety brief, wear orange, register kills, CWD, etc). Their harvest is limited by hunter as this is still a management hunt not a herd reduction hunt. Legally they are allowed both the access and the harvest due to our legal system.

FN hunters are no where near half the moose harvest but have taken animals (moose, elk and deer), all have been recorded and part of the running totals. They have also taken animals that were shot and left by licenced hunters instead of being wasted.

There has been charges and there has been lots of embarrassing behaviour already on this base hunt from all types of hunters. Like I said in another thread all hunters should work a day at a check station and I think a lot of opinions would change.

Again I would like to just keep this to a running total thread. Maybe start another one on this topic as I see this going sideways and being locked.

I won't start a new one on either topic

S
Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Hey Shed,any idea on how many moose were taken during the primitive weapons season with a bow?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Default PW wainright

Hey Chet nice to see you and the boy connected on a muley . I'm the lucky sob that got the long shot on the muley in the annex side. Saw lots of deer, had nine shots at different bucks. 3 at the one I got (out of shape to much houghing and puffing lol).
the crunchy snow did make it tough trying to sneek up on them but that's the way it goes. thanx to the troops and the staff at the check in stations.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Default What?

Your roughly 12% on your shooting? Or, you missed almost 90% on this hunt alone? Come on, that can't be for real right?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Your roughly 12% on your shooting? Or, you missed almost 90% on this hunt alone? Come on, that can't be for real right?
^^^ see?..this is whats wrong with AO these days (sound familiar?)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Nope

No Hal it doesn't, what's your correlation? 9 rounds at deer over a 3 day period, seem safe or fair to the critters to you?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=shedcrazy;3681194]The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

Wow now I see what Shane was talking about in his original post. Surprised he hasn't deleted it yet!!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=Buckwheat;3685969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post

Wow now I see what Shane was talking about in his original post. Surprised he hasn't deleted it yet!!
X2 Its ridiculous
Old 12-10-2017, 02:08 AM

Well OK, things seem a little testy, but let's stick to the topic at hand.

I'll be heading up on the last hunt thurs to sat. Anyone have a report on the weather and snow there?

Also, as a side note, does anyone happen to know if there are butchers who can do a quick process on the deer and freeze it overnight for me? I'm heading up from Calgary and would like to bring at least something back.

Alternatively, is there an area to personally process the deer at the camp?

Thanks!