Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Default Crazy day yesterday

It started off with my alarm not going off. Super Dave arrives right on time and I'm still sleeping. Sorry again, buddy.

We head off to Lower Chain Lakes by Athabasca to check out the huge rainbows we were told are in there. I live in the west end of Edmonton but instead of heading through St. Alberta as I should have, for some crazy reason I head east on the Yellowhead and take 97 street north out of town before realizing I'm taking the wrong route. We coorect course.

We arrive at Lower Chain Lakes and I approach a man and his son on the ice. They have a 10" rainbow on the ice and have released the six 'small ones'. While we're chatting, the man's son catches a 9" and decides to keep it. Turns out the 2 guys are locals and they inform us of how the fish size in Lower Chain has shrunk over the last few years. Not interested in hooking trout where keepers are 9-10", we head off for Dolberg.

We arrive at Dolberg, the sky is clear, the sun is warm and the wind is light. The only other guy on the ice leaves 5 minutes after we arrive. For the third outing in a row, Super Dave doesn't get so much as a bite. I ice two 14", lose one plus have three hits. We both get sunburned, especially me.

We head for home at dark. Engrossed in a full on BS session, we miss the turn in the road and are now unknowingly heading west towards Sangudo instead of south towards Cherhill.

We arrive at highway 43 and I sense something isn't right. We head east towards Sangudo. We wonder what the Hell are we doing on the west side of Sangudo? My internal compass starts to spin. As evidenced by the highway signs, we know we're on #43 heading east but we can't understand how we arrived on the highway west of Sangudo. Nothing makes sense. I feel like a jet pilot whose instruments tell him one thing but his gut tells him another. After some discusion, we realize the turn we missed and I blame Dave as he's the acting navigator.

Ten minutes after passing through Sangudo, I suddenly become aware that the fuel gauge is showing less than a 1/4 of a tank. We plan to take on fuel at the Gunn service station, but it's is closed. shortly after, the fuel light blinks off and on depending on whether the truck is facing uphill or downhill. The service station on #43 south of the Alberta Beach turn off is also closed. The fuel light is now glowing strongly.

We fuel up at some service station on 16A west of Stony Plain and continue the drive home.

All in all, a great day but not without some hiccups.

Bobby B.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM

sounds like a good day except for all the driving . how is the ice on dolberg ? i havnt been out for about a month and would like to try one more time before ice out .
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Banned

sounds like you had a fun time. you probably got gas at beach corner. did you notice a mini van sitting in the parking lot with the flat tire? that was me after a beautifull day at lake eden. thank god for a.m.a. i never leave home without it.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM

Wow that is crazy day!!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Gas aint cheap these days ya know haha, reminds me of the day my buddy decided to leave Severn damn(east of Strathmore) ahead of me and head back to Calgary, when i see him the next day he explains how he ran out of gas just before the Sask border!! lol, i askred him if he knew where the mountains were? he was not impressed but these things always seem to happen to him, very entertaining to say the least, i fished till dark and still beat him home.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
sounds like a good day except for all the driving . how is the ice on dolberg ? i havnt been out for about a month and would like to try one more time before ice out .
Ice at the boat launch was solid there was ruts with freshly frozen ice in them. Close to the boat launch there was no water on the ice but at the south end there was.

Bobby B.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
sounds like you had a fun time. you probably got gas at beach corner. did you notice a mini van sitting in the parking lot with the flat tire? that was me after a beautifull day at lake eden. thank god for a.m.a. i never leave home without it.
We hit Beach Corner at around 10:30pm and all I can remember noticing is my sunburn talking to me louder and louder. How'd you make out at Lake Eden?

Bobby B.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
We hit Beach Corner at around 10:30pm
Bobby B.
What did the miss' say when you pulled in at 11pm? Must have thought you landed a monster at last light and was fighting it all night.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM

The most important thing was that we had good company and were not at work.

Was a beautiful day to to out fishing. Hoping we can go again on Friday.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
We hit Beach Corner at around 10:30pm and all I can remember noticing is my sunburn talking to me louder and louder. How'd you make out at Lake Eden?

Bobby B.
caught around 80 perch in 4 hours, all small. i think the lake has stunted. I really had high hopes of monster perch and rainbow as not many people can fish this lake.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
What did the miss' say when you pulled in at 11pm? Must have thought you landed a monster at last light and was fighting it all night.
My wife knows me better than I know myself. She doesn't seem to worry much when I'm out hunting, fishing, whatever. She's come to accept that I won't allow much to get in my way or stop me, and I always return home in one piece. Sometimes she'll wonder why I carry on with my plans regardless of the conditions but she never questions if I'll make it back home.

Wish we were catching monster fish but we were only out trying. Our day will come.

How did you and your buddy make out at Cross?

Bobby B.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Ice at the boat launch was solid there was ruts with freshly frozen ice in them. Close to the boat launch there was no water on the ice but at the south end there was.

Bobby B.
i think i will go check it out before it starts snowing again . i'll let you know how it goes !