Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Trapline Title

Guys a few years back if you owned your line for a significant number of years you could have it surveyed a get title to 1/4 section around your cabin. Do you know if that is still available or was it discontinued. Anyone know the latest on this option.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM

You used to be able top get a lease site for your cabin, approx 1 area in size.
Think it depends on on area and location of desired lease.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 PM

When I took my course, 8 years ago, I thought they said you could get a 3 acre lease around your cabin to protect it from industry. I don't know where you would apply for that though.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM

My understanding is 1 acre. You apply to the MD your cabin is in and you will be assessed and pay taxes on your cabin. The up side is you can fence and post the acre as private property.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Taxes

Thanks guys, not crazy about paying more taxes so will leave well enough alone.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Thanks guys, not crazy about paying more taxes so will leave well enough alone.
I'm looking in to it. Being able to fence and post as private property has a value to me.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I'm looking in to it. Being able to fence and post as private property has a value to me.
Please let me know what u find out.Thanks (:
Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

209 is right about being able to register with an MD, which gives them the location and possible fire bombing protection in the event. Some MD's are reasonably priced [ 50$] and others see it as another source of income and that being said, the rest will soon follow suit and others are not aware that this can be done, if they have not been asked before.
It might allow one to get insurance on contents, buildings but that is the only advantage I see in taking out a lease.. A fence will certainly not deter anyone from doing what they intended to do before it was put up and in some cases, it only angers them more by rubbing their nose in the fact that you are there and they are not. Do what you figure you gotta do....
Old 08-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
209 is right about being able to register with an MD, which gives them the location and possible fire bombing protection in the event. Some MD's are reasonably priced [ 50$] and others see it as another source of income and that being said, the rest will soon follow suit and others are not aware that this can be done, if they have not been asked before.
It might allow one to get insurance on contents, buildings but that is the only advantage I see in taking out a lease.. A fence will certainly not deter anyone from doing what they intended to do before it was put up and in some cases, it only angers them more by rubbing their nose in the fact that you are there and they are not. Do what you figure you gotta do....
You are correct Doug. I don't want to incur anyone's anger. I'd just like to let people know that trapline cabins are not public property placed there for their use.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
You are correct Doug. I don't want to incur anyone's anger. I'd just like to let people know that trapline cabins are not public property placed there for their use.
X2

I leave a note pad on the outside of my cabin so if somebody stops by they can leave me a note. I had a guy write me a strongly worded note this summer about how it was against the law for me to lock my cabin and it was there for everybody to use. He said I was greedy and abusing the system because he couldn't use my cabin.

I myself will also be applying for the lease option. Even if it cost me 100 bucks a year.

How far north of GP is your trapline Rich ? Mines on the south side of the Saddle Hills.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM

I'm south of the peace river. My youngest was out quading in the Saddle Hills this summer and they came upon a trappers cabin. It was locked and a couple of the guys figured it was their "right" to bust the cabin open as it was "illegal" for a cabin to be locked. My son convinced the two otherwise by threatening to video the action on his phone and hand it over to the authorities. I wonder if it was your cabin?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM

I am not feeling well about the ignorance of those who think that a trapper's cabin is there for their access or that such behaviour is acceptable. There are notes in all known (to me) outdoor activity guidelines from Hunters to hikers stating that these cabins are not to be disturbed. Messing with the cabins at all is reprehensible. 209x50, your Son is a good man Sir! Very nice work.

Personally, I give them a wide berth and just go around cabins and about my business. The most I do is look at them to see if anyone's home in case I feel like saying hello.

Now as per the point of this thread, the leases/rights- I definitely reccomend doing so to anyone who can. It is certainly in your best interest to claim any and all rights that you can associated with your line (especially for cabins and property present). If I am to get a line one of these days I shall most certainly claim it to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

As far as the "lease" goes it is an agreement with ASRD NOT the County or MD. In the old days cabins were registered with first a quick write to construct then a MLP. Don't get me wrong the Counties/MD's jumped on the bandwagon to tax the cabin and it's site. Our MD gave up as alot of the cabins are very remote such as ours and require a helicopter trip or a three day quad trip to acess. We have a seven Township line and three cabins. We have an MLP agreement with ASRD on two of them but the last one they would not give an MLP to until the "new cabin policy" is in place. The "new cabin policy" is the same as the old requirements only supposedly enforced. To date they will not give out an MLP but actually to trappers benefit they are going to issue MLL's which give a residency to the lease. (supposedly in the works) The acreage you quote is correct. So now we are waiting for the new cabin policy to come into effect to get MLL's on all three cabins. Posting signs such as 209 says will only stir the pot and get people offside to our cabins. Signs such as he posts will only get his cabin vandalized. We keep a guest book outside each one and have nothing but good comments from hunters anglers and hikers. Our sign only states the trapline number and please respect the cabin. We have firewood chopped and in our guest book encourages anyone to go ahead and use it and the firepit. Good luck with your private property signs 209..LOL
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

That martrin is the beauty of this wonderful place we live, we have the freedom to choose. I'm free to decide what is best for me and mine and you are free to do the same for yourself. Have a great season!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

My cabin door is locked, however there is written in large felt pen letters, a note and an arrow showing where the key is hanging. I did have someone enter one time and not put the key back and another time, someone hung a Calgary Flame flag from the ceiling. That was the worst, being as how the cabin is in Oil country.....I may have to check with the fire nonfighters to see what their policy is now......
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 AM

I also lock the cabin, but leave the key hanging right next to the door. Some of the locals like to quad or sled to the site and use the firepit for lunch etc. To me it is piece of mind because they are out there keeping an eye on it. No one stays in the cabin, and they all seem to use respect. It would be a welcome sight to see a Flames flag hangin from the ceiling especially up in the North country!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
That martrin is the beauty of this wonderful place we live, we have the freedom to choose. I'm free to decide what is best for me and mine and you are free to do the same for yourself. Have a great season!

You are absolutely correct! I would think some trapping shows are in the works for your upcoming season. Look forward to seeing some good stuff on trappping via Wild TV. Have a nice Summer day and have a great season as well!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
My cabin door is locked, however there is written in large felt pen letters, a note and an arrow showing where the key is hanging. I did have someone enter one time and not put the key back and another time, someone hung a Calgary Flame flag from the ceiling. That was the worst, being as how the cabin is in Oil country.....I may have to check with the fire nonfighters to see what their policy is now......
I can tolerate almost anything at my cabin but a Flames flag is crossing the line...........time to do battle.........
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
X2

I leave a note pad on the outside of my cabin so if somebody stops by they can leave me a note. I had a guy write me a strongly worded note this summer about how it was against the law for me to lock my cabin and it was there for everybody to use. He said I was greedy and abusing the system because he couldn't use my cabin.

I myself will also be applying for the lease option. Even if it cost me 100 bucks a year.

How far north of GP is your trapline Rich ? Mines on the south side of the Saddle Hills.
I live in the saddle hills and spend a lot of time running around the bush. I do stop off at cabins for food breaks usually, but i always be sure to clean up my mess, and i also pick up garbage left by others. I always respect the cabins and land, but there is so much pressure in the area, its hard to keep up sometimes. Most of the guys i run with are good about respecting the area, and the ones that aren't are quickly asked to do so. Sorry about the off topic, its just that its my home and back yard so to speak and wanted to voice myself.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Cabin Land Update

Guys,

What's the update on this? I have read a lot of threads about owning/leasing a small parcel of land your trapline cabin sits on. Where did this all fall out? Has anyone gotten anywhere in the last year or 2 with acquiring cabin land? MLL or whatever they are called? Actual experiences with acquiring land would be appreciated. Has anybody actually got an MLL for their trapline cabin?

Update would be appreciated.

Last edited by uke hunter; 04-11-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Default trapline

Uke, the new process is no longer a MLP or MLL. They are now using the DML which is same process oil company follows to request a gas plant with forestry. It is very onerous, high cost and complicated. It needs civil engineer to prepare survey plan etc.