Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I'm not going to lie.... I had to check the definition of benevolent before replying..... and I disagree!
Word of the day on the toilet paper roll
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Word of the day on the toilet paper roll
Imagine how limited your vocabulary would be without metamucil!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Maybe similar to WCB for admin-ing it?
I don't know....never been on WCB but is that similar? Maybe too tough like the old rules?
just a thought...
Too late to pull this one back.... Probably not a good idea after putting some thought to it.
Speaking of thoughts
As I'm aging i'm finding it tougher and tougher getting my body up into sheep territory. All my ailments are catching up to me.
Maybe with this new legislation / relaxing of existing reg's because of disabilities and all..... perhaps we should look into lobbying so that I can use my quad to get me most of the way in...like up into the Fiddle Pass.
Ya..... I like the garden path were on here
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Too late to pull this one back.... Probably not a good idea after putting some thought to it.
Speaking of thoughts
As I'm aging i'm finding it tougher and tougher getting my body up into sheep territory. All my ailments are catching up to me.
Maybe with this new legislation / relaxing of existing reg's because of disabilities and all..... perhaps we should look into lobbying so that I can use my quad to get me most of the way in...like up into the Fiddle Pass.
Ya..... I like the garden path were on here
If you can't walk 100 yards you might qualify. Be great to see more old timers in the mountains
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you can't walk 100 yards you might qualify. Be great to see more old timers in the mountains
I'm not old though... my body just feels that way !!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM

the old saying ...If i knew it would hurt this much ,I would have been more careful when i was younger....

Lol I remember my mom telling me " stop cracking your knuckles ,you'll get arthritis when your old" I used to think ooo cool arthritis!! now i have it everywhere and nope , not so good..
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
i really can't believe how paranoid some of the bow hunting community is about this cross bow thing .are they that afraid that someone will get an unfair leg up or is it just that they really feel there are too many hunters and we need to start disallowing those we don't think measure up to the high standard.

Sheesh !! I would hate to be around some of you people at christmas dinner ---

mom!!! Jimmy got more pie than me and he didn't deserve it cuz i'm older !!!

Personally if they relax the rules on the crossbow thing i would like to give it a whirl in the bow season , but i am not gonna lose a wink of sleep over it if they don't . I can not draw a bow as is due to injuries so no i will not be bow hunting in any other form .that's nothing to do with being lazy ,it's just the way it is .
After all the b#$%chin and moaning i've read on here from the so called real bow hunters , i have little use for em and to be quite honest ,if they put the whole bow season and zones on a draw well boo hoo too bad for you.

Some of them are fine people i'm sure but as always, there are a few intolerant little weenies that are so greedy and worried about letting others into the game that they just cant see past their own nose.
thanks !!!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:39 PM

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the hunters dream.

I have a dream that one day , hunters will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the hills of the NSR the sons of former crossbow hunters and the sons of former stick bow hunters will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even Southern Alberta, a place sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my children will one day live in a Province where they will not be judged by the shape of their bow but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alberta, with its many hunters fishers that all men regardless of the way they choose to hunt and fish ,will be able to sit down together and hunt together and discuss the merits of their chosen sport in harmony another.

I have a dream today.

\BUT I WONT HOLD MY BREATH

Apologies to M.L.King
Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the hunters dream.

I have a dream that one day , hunters will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the hills of the NSR the sons of former crossbow hunters and the sons of former stick bow hunters will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even Southern Alberta, a place sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my children will one day live in a Province where they will not be judged by the shape of their bow but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alberta, with its many hunters fishers that all men regardless of the way they choose to hunt and fish ,will be able to sit down together and hunt together and discuss the merits of their chosen sport in harmony another.

I have a dream today.

\BUT I WONT HOLD MY BREATH

Apologies to M.L.King
Sounds like you need a hug.

P.S. ABA rules!!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

your dream will come true one day jungleboy. there was a lot of rage when compounds first appeared, but today modern bowmen get along fine with traditional archers. it will happen with the crossbow crowd as well.....eventually.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Default bow VS crossbow debate

first time to respond to a forum, this issue is a passion with me
I am a diehard bowhunter and I have also played, not hunted, with crossbows, so I have seen the difference first hand.
Th biggest difference, noted by others on this thread, is the fact that muscular power is needed to draw and hold the bow. That is the largest factor compared to the crossbow or arrow-gun as I call them. Archery fundamentals - proper form and practice to execute the shot or to draw the bow at the right time, are NOT needed with a crossbow. The time spent tuning and setting up a bow is not required for an arrow-gun. The arrow-gun has a stock and trigger exactly the same as all guns / firearms. The way you hold the arrow-gun to fire it, is the same as every gun / rifle. It has a way to load it and to keep it loaded at all times. You can still-hunt or sit on stand and it is loaded at all times. The limbs and strings that make it a "bow" are only the mechanism to fire the arrow or bullet/gunpowder. The arrow-gun should have its own season, but it does not belong in archery, except for those with permanent handicaps that do not allow them to use archery equipment (even broken arms don't qualify for a permit). With an arrow-gun, my effective shooting range is 75 yards, no practice needed. My bow range max, shooting year round, is 50 yards. In my years of hunting, I would have gotten off a lot more shots and harvested a lot more animals with an arrow gun than my bow: geting busted during the draw, holding for 2 minutes and not being able to shoot, 40 below and too cold to draw.
I hope new SRD proposals will allow for people who wish to hunt with arrow guns, a season that suits this hunting tool, just like other primitive weapons.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM

sounds vaguely familiar
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Default Rant from an seasoned bow hunter

Good for Democracy.
However!

Ya know I see the posts against cross bows (probably from guys who were still in diapers when I shot my first deer with a recurve).
(1975)

Some were probably still sucking teat when I moved to a compound.

I bet many were shooting one of these 98% let downs while I was still shooting the 'PSE Beast' that didn't come down much from 70lbs.

When I couldn't shoot accurately because of my shoulder a couple of years ago I bought an Excaliber cross bow.

I could have bought something with so many wheels and cables, and flouresant sights, wiggle-free arrow rests, that lets-down so much you could draw shortly after you got out of the truck and then stalk and shoot. (Is that really considered a bow?)

I practise as much as ever with my cross bow(lots) before and during the season. The longest shot I've made is 30yrds (or was that 28.3 on somebody's range finder). I have to stalk the same as ever, camo out, watch the wind; watch movement and shoot only when I'm sure. Most shots 20yrds.

I suppose there's still guys out there that hail-mary shots out to 70-80 yards.

You shoot a long bow beyond your 60th. birthday, fine you're a traditional bowhunter. Otherwise take it from me, you don't get a great advantage over every other kinda bow using a cross-bow.

I think all bowhunters are equal, and I fought for early and late bow season/areas in B.C to.

B.C. allows cross bows during archery season.

I haven't hunted Alberta for a lot of years, I'd like to again so I'm applying for a cross-bow licence, and I will hunt during archery season when I get it.
Maybe I'll see you out there.

With my cross bow I hunt just as hard as any other bowhunter and I think I will continue to do so until I drop over.(with my cross-bow in hand)

There's my rant.

Last edited by Huntinnut; 04-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.

This is in my opinion what is wrong with the crossbow. Too many folks are too lazy to be proficient with a compound and figure they can roll in with a crossbow and get critters that hang up out of range.

I think that if we implement a season for them, there should be some sort of training required. Educate folks on the effective range and how an arrow kills. By the way, I feel this way about any bowhunting. I know I could have used more education in the first couple of seasons I was bowhunting. It would have helped me in so many ways.
I agree 100%. I'll openly admitt I voted against xbows being allowed during archery season, but I believe that it IS going to become the reallity in the very near future. I lived/hunted in ON for 15yrs where xbows were allowed. I also worked in an archery shop and got to see all sides of people that used them.
When I filled out the questionair last year and voted "no" to xbows, my comments suggested that AB implement the Bowhunter Education course. I'm not sure if it still exists but I'm looking into it. I took it when I was 15 just because it was believed that it could be mandatory if hunting in other places outside of On or Canada. the course was great and it could open the eyes of anyone who believes the xbow is like a gun.
I would suggest that when xbows are allowed during archery season, that anyone who buys an archery license/tag for the first time must have the Bowhunter Ed. card. IMO
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair ptr. View Post
I agree 100%. I'll openly admitt I voted against xbows being allowed during archery season, but I believe that it IS going to become the reallity in the very near future. I lived/hunted in ON for 15yrs where xbows were allowed. I also worked in an archery shop and got to see all sides of people that used them.
When I filled out the questionair last year and voted "no" to xbows, my comments suggested that AB implement the Bowhunter Education course. I'm not sure if it still exists but I'm looking into it. I took it when I was 15 just because it was believed that it could be mandatory if hunting in other places outside of On or Canada. the course was great and it could open the eyes of anyone who believes the xbow is like a gun.
I would suggest that when xbows are allowed during archery season, that anyone who buys an archery license/tag for the first time must have the Bowhunter Ed. card. IMO
Well if they do that they could have a separate permit for X-Bows (like they do for regular archery now). So before you purchase that permit for the first time you could have to show proof you took a Bowhunter Ed card (if it exists in Alberta?) That way if you are only bow hunting without a cross-bow you don't have to jump through the extra hoop, especially if you have hunted for years with the bow.

Lefty
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Well if they do that they could have a separate permit for X-Bows (like they do for regular archery now). So before you purchase that permit for the first time you could have to show proof you took a Bowhunter Ed card (if it exists in Alberta?) That way if you are only bow hunting without a cross-bow you don't have to jump through the extra hoop, especially if you have hunted for years with the bow.

Lefty
So if you have bow hunted before you are grandfathered? If you are new you have to do the course for bow or x-bow?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
So if you have bow hunted before you are grandfathered? If you are new you have to do the course for bow or x-bow?
Of course this is all speculation and hypothetical.....

I was just expanding on what shorthair ptr. said with my own twist.....

Usually the way things work is a grandfathering system. For instance, if you had a hunting licence prior to such and such date, you didn't have to take hunter training to get "hunting licence eligible" designation on your WIN card.

Also if you owned prohib. weapons before such and such date you were able to maintain and purchase new ones after, but no one else was able to get that designation, etc.

I just figure if you were allowed to before why would they give you another hoop to jump through to continue doing what you were doing prior?

Just my take on it....

Lefty
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair ptr. View Post

But then again when $ permits, I plan on going VERTICAL again.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.
These people need a KICK in the NUTS and open there eyes abit.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Exactly. That's how I would suggest it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Why not just add it into existing hunter Ed courses. The less hoops the better. Courses are getting out of hand in all aspects of our lives.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Default hunters against hunter

One thing I hate to see are hunters pitted against hunters. I was a die hard bow hunter but due to shoulder pain & loss of strength I have not been able to practice with my bow enough to become comfortable in the field. I haven't bow hunted for several years now. I miss the excitement & the unique outdoor experience of bowhunting. All of you know what I'm talking about. It takes more than a just a bow to make a bowhunter. It takes a patient, skilled individual to be a bow hunter. Crossbow do not make you a stone cold killer. It allows individauls to enjoy the sport even if thay are not totally able bodied. I was looking forward to a possible crossbow season so I too could enjoy that feeling again. Someone said thank goodness we will be safe in our bow season. What are you expecting arrow flying from miles away? I guess you expect people to be dropping like flies just like in the rifle season (last years kill count, oh yeah ZERO). Think about others not just yourselves.
Hunter try to stick together for a change!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 AM

you wanna to bow hunt go buy a bow. it dont have to be expensive lots of cheep stuff out there
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
you wanna to bow hunt go buy a bow. it dont have to be expensive lots of cheep stuff out there
Hey acey:

Please don't drag up this thread again. Lots of bad blood involved.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Great post huntinnut! I still cant believe the majority of guys feel that our compounds in way are similiar to what archery season was actually based around.....recurves. I stated in a previous thread that my paps is now physically unable to utilize his compound. A xbow would be a great alternative that would allow him to enjoy the season with me. Thats all the reason i nee to vote yes. I also stated that many compound bow hunters have a pretty sad sense of entitlement to a certain time of year. This should not be the case. A seperate season for xbows is valid if you feel they are advantagous, but if you feel this way you need to look in the mirror and realize that compounds are advatagous compared to recurves. So do we then create a compound season that is delayed and only let recurve shooters hunt during the current archery season? I have a sneaking suspision that many traditional recure hunters would argue that compound hunting isnt "real" bowhunting either. Get off your high horse boys.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Great post huntinnut! I still cant believe the majority of guys feel that our compounds in way are similiar to what archery season was actually based around.....recurves. I stated in a previous thread that my paps is now physically unable to utilize his compound. A xbow would be a great alternative that would allow him to enjoy the season with me. Thats all the reason i nee to vote yes. I also stated that many compound bow hunters have a pretty sad sense of entitlement to a certain time of year. This should not be the case. A seperate season for xbows is valid if you feel they are advantagous, but if you feel this way you need to look in the mirror and realize that compounds are advatagous compared to recurves. So do we then create a compound season that is delayed and only let recurve shooters hunt during the current archery season? I have a sneaking suspision that many traditional recure hunters would argue that compound hunting isnt "real" bowhunting either. Get off your high horse boys.
Well if that happened I would have go out and get a recurve, I mean it would be there for everyone to enjoy, I know I wouldn't sit on the computer and cry that they have a season, I'd just GO HUNT ............if can't beat them join them!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM

I see youre point. But 1. Some folks cant physically do either....they should not not be able to enjoy the season beacause of a disability. 2. I can gauruntee you that hundreds of compound hunters would be up in arms if it went to a strictly recurve season.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Hey acey:

Please don't drag up this thread again. Lots of bad blood involved.
free country bud sorry. and last time i checked this is a public form
Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM

now if someone has a didability i have no problem with them hunting with a xbow.