Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Default On Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
What is your comment about uneducated supposed to mean?
There seems to be some belief that if one becomes "educated", acceptance soon follows. I believe that among the "educated" that some voted no and some voted yes lol. There is no tipping-point whereby after being educated, that resistance becomes futile. I own a crossbow, I would be one of the "educated"................However, I do not believe that xbows should be included in the archery season or meet the definition of archery equipment. There is uneducated and then there is ignorant. I believe that hunters who hunt with a bow, yet have never used a crossbow, are somewhat educated..........because they understand the concept of archery. Then there is the crowd who have never hunted with any type of bow. I believe that most of the votes in favor of including crossbows in the archery season.....come from this crowd. What level of education are we talking here? No, I do not have data to back that up....it just smells right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
^^^^ lol. ya know dave, i would like to see a thread about this where only those with some experience hunting with a crossbow are allowed to chime in. the discussion would be much different without the fearmongers.
No it wouldn't.....and words like uneducated, elitist, fearmonger, selfish, greedy.....are almost always exclusively used by those in denial.

Last edited by CNP; 02-26-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Default crossguns

Why start disputing something that never got passed. This thread is going to take off with people saying bowhunters are selfish and crossbow hunters are lazy. Sorry it never got passed get over it and keep lobbying it if you wish. Or you could take that energy buy a compound bow and hold one of many pope and young trophies alberta has to offer. Just my two cents.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
^^^^ lol. ya know dave, i would like to see a thread about this where only those with some experience hunting with a crossbow are allowed to chime in. the discussion would be much different without the fearmongers.
I would like to see a thread about this where only those with some experience hunting with a conventional bow are allowed to chime in. The discussion would be much different.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

I would love to see a crossbow thread where ISB doesnt chime in. If only people who hunted with a crossbow were allowed to voice their opinon the pro-crossbow movement would lose at least 90% of its supporters.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I get most of my advice/information about crossbows from the CGN archery forum from guys in provinces where it's legal to hunt with them. It's not a big issue with people in those provinces.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.

This is in my opinion what is wrong with the crossbow. Too many folks are too lazy to be proficient with a compound and figure they can roll in with a crossbow and get critters that hang up out of range.

I think that if we implement a season for them, there should be some sort of training required. Educate folks on the effective range and how an arrow kills. By the way, I feel this way about any bowhunting. I know I could have used more education in the first couple of seasons I was bowhunting. It would have helped me in so many ways.
Herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Did they die hard bow hunters get their way? Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?

This afternoon at the AFGA conference SRD announced that there will be no special crossbow season in 2011.

At the end of hunting season there was a hunter survey sent out to Alberta RELM users. The last question had to do with if you were in favor of having a special crossbow season before the regular rifle season.
The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral
I have been a long proponent of a separate season for x-bows, I really wish that such a resolution would have been more widely accepted. I think that there may have been some animosity in regard to the rifle season starting later, or the archery season ending sooner to accommodate such a season, at least IMO. No one wants to lose any ground.

The term uneducated has been thrown around, heres my take. In this sense, uneducated means that 1) people are unaware about the true limitations about x-bows (really only one shot, awkward, heavy, loud, etc...) and mis represent them as 100m silent death bringers (which they kind of could be in the right hands). x-bows really are a 50m'ish tool (in practical hunting scenarios), they are subject to the same velocity and energy loses as regular archery tackle. However the ability of learning to shoot them accurately is by no means mis represented... its not that hard.
2) People are unaware that the 'general season' may end because of it, this is not a guarantee, however the number of archers would increase and even if the success rate remained equal the higher number results in un-doubltably more harvests and certain species will be given priorities and draws would more than likely be implemented (Bull moose and antlered mule deer as an ex. as these are two species that are already on draw).

X-bows do deserve a spot at the table, however there seems to be much animosity about them in the Alberta archery community, instead of forcing them into this community, why not create a new one? That is why i have always been a proponent of this separate season, a spot at the table. Would I ever buy a crossbow? maybe, probably, wouldn't say no. Is that x-bow ever going to replace my bows? Hell NO!

A x-bow has many similarities to a bow, but that doesn't make it a bow, just like how its stock and trigger don't make it a rifle.

Everybody needs to grow up, x-bows are here and they won't be going away any time soon. There definitely needs to be more education about them.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would like to see a thread about this where only those with some experience hunting with a conventional bow are allowed to chime in. The discussion would be much different.
And I thought that I was a chit disturber. Now you're gonna try to pit the conventional bowhunters against the compound bowhunters. Too funny!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
so what are we calling conventional there elk? my bow is a mathews reezen. is that conventional enough? the question was about crossbows was it not? the big issue is......well its been said a thousand times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I would love to see a crossbow thread where ISB doesnt chime in. If only people who hunted with a crossbow were allowed to voice their opinon the pro-crossbow movement would lose at least 90% of its supporters.

and 99% of its opponents.

cal, after reading a few of your posts on your bowhunting endeavours and commitment to archery, i have actually lost a fair bit of the credit i was giving you in this entire discussion. after telling me what a dedicated archer you are to find out different was surprising. and once again this thread was not started by me, but you can give me credit for it if you like. funny thing is, i have told you from day 1 that i dont really even care if they are accepted or not....i wont go back to one....they kinda suck as a hunting tool in my opinion. that said, they do have the same capabilities as any other bow and the archery season is where i feel they belong.

being how facts are irrelevant in this whole topic and emotion is the only thing that seems to matter i have no interest in beating this dead pony. the info is already here for those that care....those that dont wont accept fact anyway.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 02-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
And I thought that I was a chit disturber. Now you're gonna try to pit the conventional bowhunters against the compound bowhunters. Too funny!
I guess that you weren't paying enough attention to notice that I was just quoting someone else's post, only I substituted " conventional bow" where he had "crossbow". And by the way, I consider a compound bow, a conventional bow, because it is drawn and held by the archers muscles. Had I posted " traditional bow", that would have referred to a recurve bow, or a longbow.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM

I wished that crossbows would be permitted in Archery season....
Hopefully next year...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

^^ would you use one to hunt the archery season arn?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
^^ would you use one to hunt the archery season arn?
is there any reason why I shouldn't?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

well for now the law is a good reason, lol. i you are wanting to do it then i hope for the best for you. it makes sense to me, but i dont make decisions.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
well for now the law is a good reason, lol. i you are wanting to do it then i hope for the best for you. it makes sense to me, but i dont make decisions.
I want to hunt in whatever season I can, ...
If I can use a crossbow in archery season, yeehaw! More hunting!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess that you weren't paying enough attention to notice that I was just quoting someone else's post, only I substituted " conventional bow" where he had "crossbow". And by the way, I consider a compound bow, a conventional bow, because it is drawn and held by the archers muscles. Had I posted " traditional bow", that would have referred to a recurve bow, or a longbow.
Yeah, I was paying attention and noticed what ya did there. Some people might not consider a bow with a 80% let off conventional though.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM

here we are again with this stupid argument save yourselves the trouble and use the search engine ..... you know what I hate about compound bows? they are too easy to learn to shoot ,once the sights are set you just hook up your mechanical trigger pull it back and let it fly....oddly enough ,just like a crossbow.lol
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I wished that crossbows would be permitted in Archery season....
Hopefully next year...
What......hold a referundum every year? Even Quebec knows better.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
here we are again with this stupid argument save yourselves the trouble and use the search engine ..... you know what I hate about compound bows? they are too easy to learn to shoot ,once the sights are set you just hook up your mechanical trigger pull it back and let it fly....oddly enough ,just like a crossbow.lol
You're right Jungleboy, recurve and longbow archers are the only REAL bowhunters! Everyone else are just wannabees! No one will agree on anything until everyone accepts the pecking order. Me, I have no problem being the lowest on the food chain as long as it puts food on the table.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
What......hold a referundum every year? Even Quebec knows better.
You're only saying that because the route was easier and traditional bowhunters welcomed compound bow hunters into the fold. We all know who the REAL bowhunters are.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Would someone mind explaining to me exactly how ABA could have possibly effected the outcome of the SRD poll
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
you know what I hate about compound bows? they are too easy to learn to shoot ,once the sights are set you just hook up your mechanical trigger pull it back and let it fly....oddly enough ,just like a crossbow.lol
HunterDave do you understand the democratic process? If not let me explain how ABA effected the outcome. In a democratic society the majority of votes wins. ABA encouraged all of its members to vote a certain way (to not allow crossbows in archery season). They being the progressive group they are sent out emails to its members encouraging this. Too bad AFGA hasn't moved into the 1990's so they could have done this. This is no different than any other democratic process.

I am not sure why you have such a hate on for ABA but it is getting old. The results are in live with them and learn how to be a gracious loser.

Jungleboy. I agree, and once they include in the law that that you have to draw and "hold" your crossbow with muscular power until you fire I will fully support crossbows in the archery season.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
What is your comment about uneducated supposed to mean?
I think it means if you disagreed, you must be an uneducated dummy.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I think it means if you disagreed, you must be an uneducated dummy.
C'mon, it doesn't mean that.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
C'mon, it doesn't mean that.
lol
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
so what are we calling conventional there elk? my bow is a mathews reezen. is that conventional enough? the question was about crossbows was it not? the big issue is......well its been said a thousand times already.

and 99% of its opponents.

cal, after reading a few of your posts on your bowhunting endeavours and commitment to archery, i have actually lost a fair bit of the credit i was giving you in this entire discussion. after telling me what a dedicated archer you are to find out different was surprising. and once again this thread was not started by me, but you can give me credit for it if you like. funny thing is, i have told you from day 1 that i dont really even care if they are accepted or not....i wont go back to one....they kinda suck as a hunting tool in my opinion. that said, they do have the same capabilities as any other bow and the archery season is where i feel they belong.

being how facts are irrelevant in this whole topic and emotion is the only thing that seems to matter i have no interest in beating this dead pony. the info is already here for those that care....those that dont wont accept fact anyway.

I dont recall ever calling myself a dedicated archer. I remember in another crossbow thread saying somthing like "I dont practice enough to take shots longer than 30 yards and I dont have the patience to get that close so I rarely connect."

However the opportunity is there, if I spent more time at it I could probably get better... or I could cry about how unfair the rules are and try and get crossbows legalized. Not my style.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Here's to the smug ABA members and the victory they have won.

There will be NO bowhunting permission granted on my property. I will be talking with the adjacent landowners about the perils of unethical bow hunters.

You guys paint crossbow hunters with a certain brush, I will paint you with the same.

We all hunt. Some seem to need special privileges, guess they are not as good as they think.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Cant seem to think why we might need another crossbow bickering post, why not start and "Unsafe Remington 700" post or "Grizzlies Are Not Endangered " post. This is going nowhere. These post are basically the same as another crossbow post. Must be slow for the Mods, one started this post. Oh shoot wheres the delete button.

Last edited by KBF; 02-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Here's to the smug ABA members and the victory they have won.

There will be NO bowhunting permission granted on my property. I will be talking with the adjacent landowners about the perils of unethical bow hunters.

You guys paint crossbow hunters with a certain brush, I will paint you with the same.

We all hunt. Some seem to need special privileges, guess they are not as good as they think.
This has to be one of the most childish posts in a while. You suck and I am going to tell all my friends you suck cause your not nice to me. My 10 year old things you need to grow up a bit...he even things your post is silly....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Special privileges as in a special crossbow season?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerncoachman View Post
HunterDave do you understand the democratic process? If not let me explain how ABA effected the outcome. In a democratic society the majority of votes wins. ABA encouraged all of its members to vote a certain way (to not allow crossbows in archery season). They being the progressive group they are sent out emails to its members encouraging this. Too bad AFGA hasn't moved into the 1990's so they could have done this. This is no different than any other democratic process.

I am not sure why you have such a hate on for ABA but it is getting old. The results are in live with them and learn how to be a gracious loser.

Jungleboy. I agree, and once they include in the law that that you have to draw and "hold" your crossbow with muscular power until you fire I will fully support crossbows in the archery season.
Okay, I get it now. ABA is smarter than AFGA. Or, is this just a little frustration showing through?

I don't have a hate on for ABA specifically but I do find anyone that has an arrogant or condescending attitude particularly irritating. Just ask anyone that knows me, I'll go out of my way to knock people like that down a few notches, and love every minute of it. I'm the same way in real life as I am on the internet when it comes to that.

If someone wants to thump their chest when I'm around then they'd better have a thick skin. Otherwise, they're gonna have their feelings hurt.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Special privileges as in a special crossbow season?
Not really, just an all inclusive archery season.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw