Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Default Medicine Hat Fishermen and women

Here's what I wrote to Medicine Hat Fish and Game today. It's just a thought, but I think it would be great!!

Quote:
"Hello,I am writing to you about Cavan Lake. I've been a resident and a fisherman here in Medicine hat my entire life, a little better than 40 years. I was wondering if the possibility of making Cavan Lake a "Quality Fishery" such as Bullshead Reservoir has ever been discussed? I have just got off the phone with Terry Clayton from the Lethbridge office of Fish and Wildlife. Terry had suggested I contact you as they would be more willing to look at the change to Cavan if the issue was brought forth by a committee such as Medicine Hat Fish and Game. I know in the past the lake has almost dried up, but I think a large part of that was due to irrigation drainage. Terry had also said that at some point, someone was trying to organize a fund raiser to purchase the irrigation rights to Cavan, in which case, the lake would be much more sustainable even in years of drought. I would be more than willing to donate to the cause if the irrigation rights could be purchased by your club. I truly believe another quality fishery around Medicine Hat would be fantastic, and at the same time, take the immense pressure off of Bullshead.
I look forward to hearing from you, and thank you for your time."

What do you guys think?? Yes...no???
Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks Shaun,

If the water volumes can be stabilized within reason, I am with you on that. I too live in Medicine Hat and trying to find decent areas to fish in the prairies can be a challenge. I appreciate your efforts in putting this forward.

Chris
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM

The thought has crossed my mind as well, however, seeing as it is so close to the highway....well you think Bullshead has fishing pressure, I'd imagine Cavan would have triple the pressure IMOP. It is a fair size lake though and could do well if properly managed, I like your ambition bud, good luck on your quest. U have my vote for sure! I have heard of some decent bows being caught out there this year as it is, could be heresay as my sources were all strangers. I'm gonna find out for myself in a couple weeks and will keep y'all posted.
Cheers!