Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Well if that is what you believe I'm not sure you understood the nature of the opposition to the inclusion of seperate ML and Xbow seasons. Also given that the numbers of people trying to access the resource v. the amount of resource seems to be the issue, coming up with some magical compromise would still put us where we are with this situation it would just be more confusing with four different seasons, not to mention the ongoing issue of landowner and outfitter tags.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Well if that is what you believe I'm not sure you understood the nature of the opposition to the inclusion of seperate ML and Xbow seasons. Also given that the numbers of people trying to access the resource v. the amount of resource seems to be the issue, coming up with some magical compromise would still put us where we are with this situation it would just be more confusing with four different seasons, not to mention the ongoing issue of landowner and outfitter tags.
It's not a "Magical Compromise". It's called working together.
At the end of the day, there are only so many tags available, who cares how you choose to hunt your tag.

All this BS from the bow guys about dedication and skill did nothing but confuse the issue. The ABA owns a large part of this.

Its simple. All the in fighting is tearing apart any credibility we as HUNTERS have. It allows our detractors to continue to win these fights.

Now the big fight is with outfitters.. Cripes what is the fall out from that going to be.

There is no rifle hunters or bow hunters or xbow hunters or outfitters or ML hunters or traditional ML hunters. There is just HUNTERS!

Bring all the splintered groups to the table and get some long term planning into
place.

Jamie
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This should allow for a good chunk of extra tags in the draw for those WMU's
It will mean a bunch of guys will get drawn a year or two earlier. (This year only)

Jamie

Not so Jamie. The archery harvest allocation (15%) will have to be issued using rifle success rates as the licence will be valid for both seasons.

Quote:
It's not a "Magical Compromise". It's called working together.
At the end of the day, there are only so many tags available, who cares how you choose to hunt your tag.

All this BS from the bow guys about dedication and skill did nothing but confuse the issue. The ABA owns a large part of this.

Its simple. All the in fighting is tearing apart any credibility we as HUNTERS have. It allows our detractors to continue to win these fights.

Now the big fight is with outfitters.. Cripes what is the fall out from that going to be.

There is no rifle hunters or bow hunters or xbow hunters or outfitters or ML hunters or traditional ML hunters. There is just HUNTERS!

Bring all the splintered groups to the table and get some long term planning into
place.

Jamie

Splinter groups are not an issue, there is more inuty at the AGMAG meeting than one would imagine.

The problem is F&W is splintering the management agreements. Why make the archery change before the Draw system contract is renewed? Why make sheep changes before finishing the new Sheep management plan? Why do a five year outfitter Allocation the year before doing a new outfitter Policy?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Not so Jamie. The archery harvest allocation (15%) will have to be issued using rifle success rates as the licence will be valid for both seasons.

Perhaps yes to a extent. But it will still allow for a extra 15% of available tags.
What that will do to the numbers, i have no idea.

I look at it this way. The Gov wants 100 md bucks taken out of wmu xxx

Fall 2012 had 15 going to anticipated bow harvest and 85 going to the draw guys (actual tags available)

Fall 2013 should still see 100 MD taken out of that zone. Now all will be available for any hunting group.

Splinter groups are not an issue, there is more inuty at the AGMAG meeting than one would imagine.

The problem is F&W is splintering the management agreements. Why make the archery change before the Draw system contract is renewed? Why make sheep changes before finishing the new Sheep management plan? Why do a five year outfitter Allocation the year before doing a new outfitter Policy?
I think splinter groups are part of the issue. Lets spend our time and limited power in the most effective manor. We need more power in Edmonton. Now how are we going to get it?

All of he above is just spit balling. But there has to be a better way of doing things.

Jamie
Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think splinter groups are part of the issue. Lets spend our time and limited power in the most effective manor. We need more power in Edmonton. Now how are we going to get it?

All of he above is just spit balling. But there has to be a better way of doing things.
Jamie

Down to the bone, you got it.

A start would be for the Public to learn what is going on and get involved. Join and participate in your local game club, take the time to write the gov. It done make a difference.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Bow draw zones

So now the zones that didn't go on draw will be overrun and over harvested by bow hunters not to smart should have put all zones on draw
Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
The debate is over.

While not finalized by legal, the following changes are pretty much written in stone, starting this fall.

For 2013, archers will need the draw to bowhunt mule deer in the archery season in the following WMUs –

100 WMU Series- 104, 108, 110, 130, 132, 134, 138, 140 and 156
200 WMU Series- 206, 208, 210, 214, 216, 220, 221, 222, 224 and 226
300 WMU series – 300, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 308 314, 318, 320, 322, 324, 332, 337, 357, 358, 359 and 360
400 WMU Series – 400 and 402
500 WMU Series - 502, 504, 506, 509, 510, 521, 522, 523, 526 and 527

Bowhunters will enter the general draw pool. The idea for a separate draw cannot happen for two years under the current draw system contract.

Additionally, the following Antlered Mule Deer General Season will now go on draw.
REQUIREMENT OF AN ANTLERED MULE DEER SPECIAL LICENCE FOR HUNTING ANTLERED MULE DEER IN WMUS 351, 354, 356, 520, 524, 525 and 544
Thx Walking Buffalo! So if i draw a tag next year i can hunt with a bow early season and a rifle in November if unsuccessful with a bow?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM

I've always thought a hunter should have one tag for a species and have several seasons opportunities to kill it in. What does it matter what you kill it with it. Manage the tag numbers by the amount that can be taken. But it is going to suck to be limited to one zone for archery mule deer. I do like the unlimited zone tag with a bow.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun+Rod View Post
I've always thought a hunter should have one tag for a species and have several seasons opportunities to kill it in. What does it matter what you kill it with it. Manage the tag numbers by the amount that can be taken. But it is going to suck to be limited to one zone for archery mule deer. I do like the unlimited zone tag with a bow.
Like 1 tag per 3 years and you have all 3 years to use that tag?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Yup it's on draw.

So they combined Muley Archery with the rifle draw. Bummer!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM

They had no choice but to go this way and put on draw the kill % was to high with bow !! I am a bow hunter and I like this it will take a lot of pressure off r wmu !!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned

Okay, so I'm late to the party but I decided to skip this thread this winter and I'm on page 7 of reading it now. There's a lot of info to process and I want to confirm that I'm on track so I decided to make this post while I'm reading the rest of the thread. Do I have this right so far:

- ESRD decided to put mule deer on draw for archery and the ABA agreed that it should happen but wants to have input.

- The mule draw would be a single draw where if you are drawn you could hunt with your bow or your rifle to fill your tag. Basically, no more general bow for mulies and bowhunters would compete with rifle hunters in the draw.

- There would be an increase in the number of tags for the draw (approx 15%?) to be shared amongst all hunters.

- No change to landowner or outfitter tag allocations.

- All the talk about everything going to draw if crossbows were included in archery only season was BS when ESRD already knew that the draw was coming anyway.

- Gotta check but........This is in place for this hunting season and the specific WMU's effected by the new draw have been identified?

Am I on track so far?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Okay, so I'm late to the party but I decided to skip this thread this winter and I'm on page 7 of reading it now. There's a lot of info to process and I want to confirm that I'm on track so I decided to make this post while I'm reading the rest of the thread. Do I have this right so far:

- ESRD decided to put mule deer on draw for archery and the ABA agreed that it should happen but wants to have input.

- The mule draw would be a single draw where if you are drawn you could hunt with your bow or your rifle to fill your tag. Basically, no more general bow for mulies and bowhunters would compete with rifle hunters in the draw.

- There would be an increase in the number of tags for the draw (approx 15%?) to be shared amongst all hunters.

- No change to landowner or outfitter tag allocations.

- All the talk about everything going to draw if crossbows were included in archery only season was BS when ESRD already knew that the draw was coming anyway.

- Gotta check but........This is in place for this hunting season and the specific WMU's effected by the new draw have been identified?

Am I on track so far?

A sincere suggestion.
Finish reading the thread and the 2013 Hunting Draw changes then ask your questions.

Much of this thread can be skimmed over....
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
A sincere suggestion.
Finish reading the thread and the 2013 Hunting Draw changes then ask your questions.

Much of this thread can be skimmed over....
Yeah, I read/skimmed the whole thread so I know the answers to what I was asking. At first there was so much info that I wasn't sure if I'd remember it all so I made that post to make sure that I was on track. By the end of the thread it's pretty clear in my mind what went down, how it went down and what is happening now.