Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich View Post
You can buy used junk and pay $$$$ to keep them running or buy new and make payments, costs the same IMO. The difference in insurance is 4 a year... that is a minor repair nowadays. more if you buy a newer POS diesel, never mind the down time

Your insurance will go down at 21, 25, and if you buy a house, get married etc.

My opinion is drive what you want..... within your budget
Don`t agree,I have an `89 Chev truck that hauls my firewood and dead deer and elk,I paid 1400$ for it with 152,000 K ,runs beauty.I just bought an ex cop wagon,120,000 in mint shape for 4500$ with new winters and summers on rims,wicked fast and quite scary to see in your rear view mirror.Big black wrap around push bumper and blue and yellow stripes on a white truck.Always had regular oil changes,passed the Alta. to B.C. inspection 100%.
If you shop around you can get some crazy good deals.I will never EVER buy new.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Smile this is awesome!

Hi this is awesome

Lots of Been there Done that....

vehicle insurance is a necessity

remember For every one person thats working, they are feeding Seven others

Car dealer. Car salesman . insurance Broker.
Police tow truck oil filter salesmen ETC. ETC.

$8500 will keep the lights on at the brokers office', so their there to take my $2200.00 a year
Old 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Don`t agree,I have an `89 Chev truck that hauls my firewood and dead deer and elk,I paid 1400$ for it with 152,000 K ,runs beauty.I just bought an ex cop wagon,120,000 in mint shape for 4500$ with new winters and summers on rims,wicked fast and quite scary to see in your rear view mirror.Big black wrap around push bumper and blue and yellow stripes on a white truck.Always had regular oil changes,passed the Alta. to B.C. inspection 100%.
If you shop around you can get some crazy good deals.I will never EVER buy new.
What he says ^^^^^^
Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Default hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
60 001KMs
I just blew snot onto the screen. that is seriously funny
Old 11-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
So now im left wondering how many KM's is still good to buy a used truck? I have only owned cars up to this point so I could afford gas and insurance on my own.

At what year and KM's (generally) do trucks usually start having problems with them?
Just after your warranty run out
Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
60 001KMs
"Sam Ting" Sorry didn't see your reply
Old 11-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
And it still won`t get you laid.
For what you pay in increased payments for the vehicle that will get you noticed, and insurance per year, you don't need a fancy vehicle to get laid. You can buy a good solid vehicle, pay the much cheaper insurance, and use the rest to get a high class hooker for an hour every 2 weeks. That way you get a professional job on the $ex, and no hanger oners, or others trying to get preggers to hook you into a ring after a night of cheap thrills... lol Also, no need to buy drinks... hehe
Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 PM

This has turned into my favorite thread of the year
Old 11-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Take a bus! Invest the $ in a Us Equity fund. don't **** your cash away on insurance. Better yet if you have to get a ride. Take a taxi, or bum a ride off a friend. $6000.00 out of your disposable income. Crazy. $6000.00 x tax rate 1.35 = $8100.00 of your gross income. That is only for the liscence. What about the cost of truck, fuel, maintenance, etc. Not even including depreciation. .
Don't drive, unless someone pays you to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
So I finally decided to buy myself a brand new F-150.

Im 18, male, licensed in 2011, I have been in one $6000 accident, no other offences.

I went to the local dealership, looked at trucks, worked out all my financing, and took it for a test drive to the insurance place(s). $8500 a year.... (Thats with a $2000 deductible on collision, $2,000,000) That works out to more than the truck payment. Both insurances companies (A local broker and the co-operators) seemed very surprised it was so high. This is for full coverage as is required to finance a vehicle.

This is damn robbery, theft, BULLS**T.

How do they expect somebody who is 18 & living alone to afford this? Mommy & Daddy? Not me. Its not like I could not afford it, but I wouldn't be living very comfortably. AND this is me having a very good job. I cant even imagine how somebody going to school could afford this.

Im just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience,
and if anybody would know a sneaky way to get this price WAY down?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I don't think you need a brand new F-150 at 18. I purchased a 6 year old truck at 18 with cash. At 24 and no accidents my rates have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY and from what I understand drop quite a bit more at 25. My advice is buy an older truck and don't purchase coverage on your truck(get the minimum). Why would you want debt at 18 years old anyways???
Bingo, x2

Bobby
Old 11-16-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
For what you pay in increased payments for the vehicle that will get you noticed, and insurance per year, you don't need a fancy vehicle to get laid. You can buy a good solid vehicle, pay the much cheaper insurance, and use the rest to get a high class hooker for an hour every 2 weeks. That way you get a professional job on the $ex, and no hanger oners, or others trying to get preggers to hook you into a ring after a night of cheap thrills... lol Also, no need to buy drinks... hehe
Now what would that little GEICO lizard say if you were saving all that money on insurance and spending it on hookers??
Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Now what would that little GEICO lizard say if you were saving all that money on insurance and spending it on hookers??
If they could make it sell that way without backlash, I think that they would use it...
That being said, I think that insurance companies want people to get married as married people are more likely to create another generation of customers...
Old 11-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Looks like everyone scared the OP off!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 AM

If you,re buying a new truck you should be able to afford insurance, if not don't buy truck, every one under 25 has been there, buck up and pay it or buy used....
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM

I financed a four year old truck when I was 19.... I didn't drive it much as I had a company vehicle. I had PLPD on the truck as I felt the small risk of an accident was negligible. Also had the dealership sign off on it. Basically it was a chunk of paper saying. I know what I'm doing and I realise it's risky. Had the truck 7 years now. First five years I put 80000km on it. Minus insurance at the time it cost me .35c a km to drive.
Long story short. I wish I had of bought an older truck.
These guys are right. Don't get sucked in by being a magpie. Put your money to good use now. You'll appreciate it later.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM

To put this into perspective. I turned 25 in December 2014, purchased a home in 2014 and just bought a brand new 2015 Lexus SUV. My insurance is $1000.00 a year for full coverage. Age and owning a house played a huge part. Before the Lexus I was driving an 03' BMW coupe and my payments were around $200 a month, those payments have now dropped to sub $100 as well. Overall for two vehicles I pay under $200/month, which is awesome.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

I bought my last new vehicle when I was 21, and haven't had a car payment since I was 23.

I will never but new, even for cash. The 30% depreciating the first year kills it... there are many other things I can spend my money on. If I wanted a money pit, I'd buy a sailboat.

Oopps, guess I did buy a sailboat. Fact is, I could not have if I bought new vehicles.

Take the advice of many, but used, buy for cash, bank the savings.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Default Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
keep a clean record and don't buy new before you're 25
to suffer the horrible indignity of owning used vehicles for a few years. Kind of a "first world problem"? My 24 year old son, one fault accident on record, pays about $1400 per year for full load coverage on a $7000 used 4x4 with no vehicle payment at all - he paid cash.
Closed Thread