Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Too bad this went sideways it was an awesome thread. Now the pictures of big Ab mules have stopped rolling in, should have the last 4 odd pages deleted.
I agree 100%
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 AM

Let's get it back on track

Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Some live ones.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't have any deer that most would consider trophies but these to are trophies to me.

The first was my first mule buck. Well first buck of any sort actually. Does not score well but is 30" wide and fairly heavy.

My second is quite similar to the first, little better tine length but not quite as wide and not as much mass. This hunt was memorable because it was with a good friend and he also got a decent 4x4 on the same day.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Dads biggest.

Some little guys from back in the day.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM

I love looking at big muleys. Some real beauties on here. Here are my mulies from the last few years.

all gross scores

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM

wow clb now that is awsome, you mr have them muleys down to a science, Great bucks, would love to see your trophy room
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
well these shy guys can do what they please with their trophies, and i don't think anyone here is worried about having their own records broken, we are here because we are alberta hunters who love big alberta mule deer, we like to see them and pat the guys on the back who kill them, i don't see jealousy or greed here of any sort....all of us on this thread!, nice to know we apparently have a couple new world records.....if true then it just boggles the mind why alberta doesn't get the recognition for such incredible animals and the hunting community can't enjoy them either...and if you shot one Justin don't kid us...we'd all know about it in nano seconds
X2

Oh I'm not worried about being dethroned. I just hate rumors! and like everyone else on this site, I want the truth to come out. That's why we have
7 pages discussions on new sheep proposals, or hunt farms or you pick the topic...........

I also get non stop phone calls, texts and pm's about one source, and the conversations and concerns are all the same.

If that deer does indeed exist and it is what your saying, I would be the first to shake the guys hand. I would want nothing more than to give the deer the
Recognition it deserves. I also would love Alberta to get the recognition it deserves about the potential Muleys this province can grow. I would love to and another WR to Alberta list!

I also find strange that one source has been derailing threads about this province having a terrible mule deer herd, and Saskatchewan being amazing.
meanwhile potentially knowing that something like a WR may have existed. Kinda playing both sides!

I think I speak for everyone, we just want the truth!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
same guy who started it ruined it, i bet the shy owners of these apparently two new world records are thrilled about the chatter, holy crap, end of day i think most here realize they are still just deer lol...just animals we like to hunt not the air we breath

I guess you need to go back about 4 pages, refresh yourself and tell me how I was a contributing factor in the dismantleing of this thread. I will assist by telling you, leaning on a guy to repost a picture of a mega mule that some have seen, so I and others could see, was not the broken track that led to this. Guess what, NOW I am helping wreck a good picture sharing by responding to this. Congrats on your mule, lets see some pics of the others!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
wow clb now that is awsome, you mr have them muleys down to a science, Great bucks, would love to see your trophy room
Cam is sure dialed in on the Mules, amazing accomplishment for anyone, but I have come to expect it from him

Thanks everyone for sharing, making the off months a little easier to get through !
Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Awesome CLB - you have it figured out. Are these AB deer or SK deer?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM

As always, incredible Muleys Cam, huge congrats!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Man CLB you have got quite the colletion of trophies there. I especially love the 2010 monster, I'm jealous, the trophy of my dreams right there. Nice very nice.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Here is my biggest to date... not the biggest buck out there but has some character...

Mule Deer.jpg

Mule Deer-1.jpg
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
I love looking at big muleys. Some real beauties on here. Here are my mulies from the last few years.

all gross scores

I hate when you come on these threads, makes me feel like ive accomplished nothing lol
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Awesome CLB - you have it figured out. Are these AB deer or SK deer?
These are Sask deer.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Here are some live bucks I photographed.

I watched this buck grow old over the years. This is likely the best rack I saw on him.

This is him again a couple years later

This guy looked pretty good. If he would have had G4's he would have took a bullet from my dad

These are not great photos but show the size of this deer

this guy had great potential. Was a little bigger the next year then never saw him again.

Look at the bases on this guy.

just some other nice bucks

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Wow CLB those are amazing pics!!! Do you have one picked out for next year??
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

^^^ to anyone who thinks that a properly managed mule deer herd is a bad thing.....the defense rests. advantage saskatchewan!

its frustrating as hell to know that alberta was once like that, but today we have the situation we do.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Great pics CLB,your live pics are just as good as your kill pics.

I love the buck with the massive bases,that deer must be pretty old.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
^^^ to anyone who thinks that a properly managed mule deer herd is a bad thing.....the defense rests. advantage saskatchewan!

its frustrating as hell to know that alberta was once like that, but today we have the situation we do.
in bc we dont have a trophy mule deer herd but we have some nice deer and we can hunt from sept. 1 to the 10th of december. i like the system we have and there are still nice deer. what are the regulations on hunting in saskatchewan that produce such nice deer.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

The sad thing is that the areas where these photos were taken have now been totally decimated by CWD culls. You still find the odd one in these areas but they are few and far between. These areas are just starting to get back onto the draw the last year or so, hopefully we will one day see these kind of deer in those areas in decent numbers again. A couple of these zones had 3-4 thousand deer shot out of them in a single year of the CWD slaughter. I saw 2 guys who took 33 deer between the two of them one year. Made me sick.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
in bc we dont have a trophy mule deer herd but we have some nice deer and we can hunt from sept. 1 to the 10th of december. i like the system we have and there are still nice deer. what are the regulations on hunting in saskatchewan that produce such nice deer.
in bc, there are lots of places where access prevents a lot of hunting pressure, thereofre some nice deer will exist. i lived there for a while and can assure you that bc is nothing like saskatchewan when it comes to numbers of big mule deer.

mules arent very bright and without protection in some form or another, they just wont grow big. they need to live to maturity and in most places, hunting pressure assures that they dont. saskatchewan gives them the protection they need in the form of limited hunting. mules are on a draw with tag numbers set so that not all the bucks get killed at a young age.

that doesnt mean that all bucks grow up....lots do die young, but there are less tags issued than there are bucks ensuring that there is a percentage that survive to maturity. in alberta, that was the case from about 188 to the early 2000s. lately though....there have been far too many tags issued resulting in the death of the vast majority of bucks at a very young age.

whitetails however are different. their survival tactics are much better, and they dont need to be protected from hunters. they are smart enough to have a good percentage of bucks make it to maturity without help. the kicker for them is habitat. thats why the southern parts of alberta have so few mature bucks around....the bald prairie gives them no escape cover. the odd one that lives down here does it by using a sanctuary. no hunting land, parks, and even cities will produce some good bucks...but never in the numbers that are in the central to northern regions.

back to mules.....in all fairness, saskatchewans lower human popualtion is helping too. archers there are killing mature bucks, but here in alberta, archers are killing a lot of immature bucks as well. archery tags are over the counter, but it may be time to get archers on a draw to reduce harvest. im a bowhunter too, and id rather hunt quality bucks every couple years than baby bucks every year. either way....the way mules are managed today in alberta, this province has no hope of rivalling saskatchewan in the production of trophy mules.

Quote:
The sad thing is that the areas where these photos were taken have now been totally decimated by CWD culls. You still find the odd one in these areas but they are few and far between. These areas are just starting to get back onto the draw the last year or so, hopefully we will one day see these kind of deer in those areas in decent numbers again. A couple of these zones had 3-4 thousand deer shot out of them in a single year of the CWD slaughter. I saw 2 guys who took 33 deer between the two of them one year. Made me sick.
ive met a few that did that too cam. the most ridiculous thing i ever heard was the guy who had a truckload of them beetching and moaning that were no big bucks around. that arsehole has been whining for 5 years now that its all the governments fault for killing all the deer, but cant see the fact that he contribuuted....and still does to this day pounding does left and right.

the game departments made some very stoooopid decisions, but the fact remains that hunters are the ones carrying it out. we have seen countless examples on this board over the last few weeks. so many guys willing to go to the east side of the province to smack the few deer left there.....but beetching the whole time about the low deer numbers. makes me wanna slap some sense into some of them.....but i doubt thats even possible.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I guess you need to go back about 4 pages, refresh yourself and tell me how I was a contributing factor in the dismantleing of this thread. I will assist by telling you, leaning on a guy to repost a picture of a mega mule that some have seen, so I and others could see, was not the broken track that led to this. Guess what, NOW I am helping wreck a good picture sharing by responding to this. Congrats on your mule, lets see some pics of the others!
did you start this thread? were you the one posting about the new world records starting page 3 about post #72? no offense pack, u picked up a vibe i wasn't puttin down, we are good my mule deer killin brotha from anotha motha
Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dont kid yourself, while Sask hasnt damaged their Trophy Mule deer to the extent Alberta has, as CLB has said, Sask has done some mega CWD culls in the great sandhills region and up along the border in the lloydminster region. Then they went to the earn a buck system where you shoot two does and take the heads in and they give you a buck tag. Some of the areas they give out a high number of tags just like Alberta. Like I mentioned, sask hasnt taken it to the extent Alberta has but they havent got off free and easy either.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish farmer View Post
Dont kid yourself, while Sask hasnt damaged their Trophy Mule deer to the extent Alberta has, as CLB has said, Sask has done some mega CWD culls in the great sandhills region and up along the border in the lloydminster region. Then they went to the earn a buck system where you shoot two does and take the heads in and they give you a buck tag. Some of the areas they give out a high number of tags just like Alberta. Like I mentioned, sask hasnt taken it to the extent Alberta has but they havent got off free and easy either.
im aware of what has been going on. it seems that serm had an initial knee jerk reaction there too, but at least they SEEM to be learning and taking notes on what has been discovered elsewhere. they are backing off the kill em all attitude and on the surface appear to be using the available science to guide their decisions.

alberta though is steadfastly refusing to accept what is already known is places like colorado and wyoming about the disease. culling is completely useless and it has been proven over and over. in fact, srd here has even resorted to flat out lying and deceiving to further someones agenda. the full page cwd report in this falls hunting regulations are loaded with absolute outright bullschit stories about what is going on in the world. nobody in government seems to care that those making decisons in srd are completely incompetent. i see no hope of righting things here in the near future.

at least you guys in saksatchewan have a hope. serm at least seems to want to do whats right based on science and not by gosh and by golly.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
im aware of what has been going on. it seems that serm had an initial knee jerk reaction there too, but at least they SEEM to be learning and taking notes on what has been discovered elsewhere. they are backing off the kill em all attitude and on the surface appear to be using the available science to guide their decisions.

alberta though is steadfastly refusing to accept what is already known is places like colorado and wyoming about the disease. culling is completely useless and it has been proven over and over. in fact, srd here has even resorted to flat out lying and deceiving to further someones agenda. the full page cwd report in this falls hunting regulations are loaded with absolute outright bullschit stories about what is going on in the world. nobody in government seems to care that those making decisons in srd are completely incompetent. i see no hope of righting things here in the near future.

at least you guys in saksatchewan have a hope. serm at least seems to want to do whats right based on science and not by gosh and by golly.
Absolutely I agree with you 100%. Im sitting at a priority 6 right now for muley bucks because I just cant make my mind up on where to take it seeing as my home zone has been decimated by the whole CWD thing and I cant bring myself to using a P6 when a P1 gets a tag there and they give out 250+ tags/year. Back to Mule Deer pics though.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
did you start this thread? were you the one posting about the new world records starting page 3 about post #72? no offense pack, u picked up a vibe i wasn't puttin down, we are good my mule deer killin brotha from anotha motha
Yes. Started this thread. No I did not derail it. You and Pete jumped all over me. And then the crap show began. So if you have something that is productive to post or say in this thread do it. If not shut up. You ain't the man. I am sick of you spouting off all the time.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Cam. Thanks for posting all those great bucks. I wish my wife would move out there.
Quote:
Here are some live bucks I photographed.

I watched this buck grow old over the years. This is likely the best rack I saw on him.

This is him again a couple years later

This guy looked pretty good. If he would have had G4's he would have took a bullet from my dad

These are not great photos but show the size of this deer

this guy had great potential. Was a little bigger the next year then never saw him again.

Look at the bases on this guy.

just some other nice bucks