Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Seriously, if anyone believes that limiting or cutting out landowners tags, is going to get severe back lash from landowners, is crazy. Realistically, if you have good relations with your landowners, you need not worry. Family, friends and long standing hunters will still be able to hunt. I'm certain of that.

Yes there will be a few, that will close hunting to everyone. But like anything, give it a couple of years, and they will get over it.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Seriously, if anyone believes that limiting or cutting out landowners tags, is going to get severe back lash from landowners, is crazy. Realistically, if you have good relations with your landowners, you need not worry. Family, friends and long standing hunters will still be able to hunt. I'm certain of that.

Yes there will be a few, that will close hunting to everyone. But like anything, give it a couple of years, and they will get over it.
abso-phukking-lutely
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
But like anything, give it a couple of years, and they will get over it.
This is EXACTLEY what SRD thinks about bow hunters.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=Alta_Redneck;1753159]Sorry but that's a horrible idea, there's an awful lot of hunters that just look to fill the freezer. If these guys go around shooting the first 4 point buck they see, these deer won't have time to mature taking out any deer with potential in its future. Right now there's plenty of people that are happy getting spikers, 2 points and 3 points, take all of these hunters and have them bagging 4 pointers quality is sure to suffer. I have no problem with meat hunters but the way it is now is the best for trophy potential and who wouldn't want to bagthat deer of a life time.[/QUO

I know what what your saying but if some guys just want meat then apply for doe tags and buy supplemental tags ,Trophy hnters usually know what their looking for and they usually pass on alot of the immature bucks, I remember 3 pt general season and there was still some huge bucks out there so hard to say what to do.But I agree they should keep it to residents only

Last edited by ASAT1; 12-16-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
Sorry but that's a horrible idea, there's an awful lot of hunters that just look to fill the freezer. If these guys go around shooting the first 4 point buck they see, these deer won't have time to mature taking out any deer with potential in its future. Right now there's plenty of people that are happy getting spikers, 2 points and 3 points, take all of these hunters and have them bagging 4 pointers quality is sure to suffer. I have no problem with meat hunters but the way it is now is the best for trophy potential and who wouldn't want to bag that deer of a life time.

I know what what your saying but if some guys just want meat then apply for doe tags and buy supplemental tags ,Trophy hnters usually know what their looking for and they usually pass on alot of the immature bucks, I remember 3 pt general season and there was still some huge bucks out there so hard to say what to do.But I agree they should keep it to residents only
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Exactly. All that will be left is giant 2 and 3 pointers.
Guys in bc were crying the same argument 10+ years ago when they put elk on a 6 pts minimum. NOW the population has double, hunting elk is great with alot of sightings and actions..... and NO the place doesn't crawl with many giant 5 pts.

On an other note, I hate to count so I'm not really in favor for a 4 pts rule, especially that too many guys shooting and count after.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM

I fixed it for you! You know it's no secret, why hide the fact about it? Why not tell people your one of the leading voices advocating the mule deer draw? Are you not the SCI representative at the agmag meeting?

Last edited by Kanonfodder; 12-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Guys in bc were crying the same argument 10+ years ago when they put elk on a 6 pts minimum. NOW the population has double, hunting elk is great with alot of sightings and actions..... and NO the place doesn't crawl with many giant 5 pts.

On an other note, I hate to count so I'm not really in favor for a 4 pts rule, especially that too many guys shooting and count after.
And it was tried with a 3 point or more mule deer season in Alberta once already. Proven to not work.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Unfortunately it seems many people cannot field judge or count as it is....I have come upon several dead spiker mule deer that have been shot, mistaken for does. Also several mule does shot mistaken for white-tails where mule does are not in season. Identification is not some peoples strong suit....

LC
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I fixed it for you! You know it's no secret, why hide the fact about it? Why not tell people your one of the leading voices advocating the mule deer draw? Are you not the SCI representative at the agmag meeting?
Is this true?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No I'm not, never have been.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Is this true?
Potty has his tinfoil hat on a bit tight today...SCI is not part of AGMAG....look it up for yourself.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Potty has his tinfoil hat on a bit tight today...SCI is not part of AGMAG....look it up for yourself.
Just what I heard! Hence, why I asked the question .
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM

IBTL on this one.. Post count, plus 1
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Just what I heard! Hence, why I asked the question .
LOL....you need more reliable sources.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is probably not far from the truth though, according to his posts. I'm assuming you mean the archery draw.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL....you need more reliable sources.
That is the problem. So many details regarding everything to do with resident success, landowner tags and outfitter allocations is not being properly released to joe public.
SRD's changes affect everyone, yet details are being hoarded and analyzed by some group called AGMAG.
Who in this group looks after resident hunters exclusively and entirely? AFGA?? Not very well imo.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
That is the problem. So many details regarding everything to do with resident success, landowner tags and outfitter allocations is not being properly released to joe public.
SRD's changes affect everyone, yet details are being hoarded and analyzed by some group called AGMAG.
Who in this group looks after resident hunters exclusively and entirely? AFGA?? Not very well imo.
I agree with most everything you said other than the AFGA is one hell of a voice for residents at the table. They may not always get their way but they are well entrenched in the fight. Doug Butler should be on every resident's Christmas card list for the time and dedication he shows.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM

I sure hope it all goes to draw. I'm tired of finding dead, ate up deer with arrows in em, picking broad heads out of our cows feet, tired of guys parking in front of our gates to glass, tired of guys pounding the road allowances. And most of all I'm tired of seeing every joe blow take 130 class bucks cause they can't find a good one. Pretty soon there's not gonna be a lot of good ones left.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
I sure hope it all goes to draw. I'm tired of finding dead, ate up deer with arrows in em, picking broad heads out of our cows feet, tired of guys parking in front of our gates to glass, tired of guys pounding the road allowances. And most of all I'm tired of seeing every joe blow take 130 class bucks cause they can't find a good one. Pretty soon there's not gonna be a lot of good ones left.
you need a rest.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum and stellar first post. LOL!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with most everything you said other than the AFGA is one hell of a voice for residents at the table. They may not always get their way but they are well entrenched in the fight. Doug Butler should be on every resident's Christmas card list for the time and dedication he shows.
Im unaware of the time that is put in, by who and for what projects.

Unfortunately i am aware of the AFGA's results with respect to putting resident hunters first.

Sheephunter: Arent you staff on the AFGA's payroll?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM

No missingtwo, you need to pick a few broad heads out of a cows foot a couple times and then lose however many dollars a head when it comes time to sell due to crippled cattle. The draw will help cut the number of guys out there flinging arrows around.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
No missingtwo, you need to pick a few broad heads out of a cows foot a couple times and then lose however many dollars a head when it comes time to sell due to crippled cattle. The draw will help cut the number of guys out there flinging arrows around.
Pics or it didn't happen!

Nice first post. Why not post with your original handle?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You run your cattle on public land or private?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM

@longdraw- both, so I'm sure you can understand the frustration, it just sucks to have to bring a cow out of the forestry who can barely walk cause she's got someone's broad head lodged between her toes. And then have guys see a deer on our place driving by and just step out and fling one at him, jump back in and drive off. Then there's another arrow laying on the ground that I might find in a truck tire or another cows foot later on.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Default What??????

Quote:
@longdraw- both, so I'm sure you can understand the frustration, it just sucks to have to bring a cow out of the forestry who can barely walk cause she's got someone's broad head lodged between her toes. And then have guys see a deer on our place driving by and just step out and fling one at him, jump back in and drive off. Then there's another arrow laying on the ground that I might find in a truck tire or another cows foot later on.
Truck hunting with a bow? Now that would be something to see. LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
So picking broadheads out of cows feet is a regular occurence?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Are you a hunter jwilson?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Im unaware of the time that is put in, by who and for what projects.

Unfortunately i am aware of the AFGA's results with respect to putting resident hunters first.

Sheephunter: Arent you staff on the AFGA's payroll?
I am confused by your view of the AFGA... I definitely do not agree with every position the AFGA takes, nor do I think they are the 'end all, be all' when it comes to advocating for Alberta outdoorsmen, however, having been to the annual conference a number of times I have no doubt that the AFGA has ONLY the best interest of Alberta's hunting and fishing community behind every decision they make.

What is you think the AFGA has done (or failed to have done) with regards to resident hunter's interests?