Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Interesting to see the success stories. Congrats. But it makes me wonder... makes me think that at some point, a person needs to be very highly skilled to make a clean kill with certain types of weapons... I don't have a perfectly formed opinion on this so don't jump on me, but shooting a deer with a center fire is reaonable easy... harder with a bow, probably harder still with an atlatl. Is there a point a which we draw a line and say the odds are that most people won't make a clean kill with a certain weapon? Just throwing it out there, troll-like
Ha, I'll bite. I'm just wondering why you think that an atlatl would be harder to use than a long bow. If you were in a treestand with an atlatl I'm thinking that you'd be able to hold it into a position to launch for awhile, no drawing back like with a bow. Even compound bow hunters have to put in a certain amount of practice to become proficient, that's always the argument when crossbows come up and they say that little practice is required for them. If someone was to put in the time to be proficient with an atlatl, then why not?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 AM

Great accomplishment AA.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 AM

Kind of curious but what is the FOC on those arrows? Comparable to a "traditional" arrow?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:06 AM

awesome!! i want one!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 AM

I think it might do some folks some good to see this thread and look at the encouragement another hunter using a different method is getting....it is clear this hunter knows his weapon and his limitations, why wouldn't we encourage him to keep doing what he is doing?

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think it might do some folks some good to see this thread and look at the encouragement another hunter using a different method is getting....it is clear this hunter knows his weapon and his limitations, why wouldn't we encourage him to keep doing what he is doing?

LC
Well said...id like more info for sure

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Banned

I skipped over this thread quite a few times because I had no idea what an atlatl was. In fact I was under the impression that it may have been a typo. OUt of curiosity this AM, I decided "what the heck". I sure am glad that I opened it. Absolutlely impressive. I'm not one to condemn a man who has more talent that I do. I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce it. Although I have no desire to try it myself, I would welcome the opportunity to watch this primitive weapon in action. Again, most awesome.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Atlatl

Atlatl Accuracy Tips

via McTube for YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrJ6kaojwM
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Ha, I'll bite. I'm just wondering why you think that an atlatl would be harder to use than a long bow. If you were in a treestand with an atlatl I'm thinking that you'd be able to hold it into a position to launch for awhile, no drawing back like with a bow.
This is a good point but would you be able to use it in a treestand? I don't know that is why I bring it up. When I imagine the guy throwing it I see a Major League pitcher in my mind; or a shot-put thrower who takes a few steps in the proper technique of throwing. Don't know if that could be achieved from a trestand. Again though I have no idea what proper form is. Enlighten us AA, aka The Man.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Banned

This is quite an accomplishment. Congrats!

I find it funny how the regs prohibit me from using a 22-250 on deer, but leave the door open to use home made weapons such as these. Maybe I'll try throwing stars next year lol
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

I find it funny how the regs prohibit me from using a 22-250 on deer, but leave the door open to use home made weapons such as these. Maybe I'll try throwing stars next year lol
I guess if your throwing stars had as much energy as the Atlatl.
The Atlatl has more energy then some legal bows.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

Define homemade?
A trad bow, trapper snares, and even a rifle can be homemade. Also can include fishing rods or crab cages.
Are you against homemade hunting devices?
I don't see a section in the hunting/fishing regs about them.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots270 View Post
Define homemade?
A trad bow, trapper snares, and even a rifle can be homemade.
Are you against homemade hunting devices?
I don't see a section in the hunting regs about it.
Im not against killing things with home made devices.
I think its a great accomplishment.
Thanks for lesson on what else is home made.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Im not against killing things with home made devices.
I think its a great accomplishment.
Thanks for lesson on what else is home made.
Then why did you make it a main point to mention homemade things and compare it to not being allowed to hunt with a .22?
It's almost offensive.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Then why did you make it a main point to mention homemade things and compare it to not being allowed to hunt with a .22?
My main point is that it is a great accomplishment. Said it three times. You are the one looking to teach people about homemade.

Obviously the hunting regulations guide/restrict hunters in this province. It is just a matter of time before certain other weapons may need to become regulated, as seen with draw weights and calibre restrictions.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

hos are your aba dues??? all paid up I presume

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM

I have been very fortunate to get permission to hunt on some of the best whitetail land in my area. It took years to convince a couple old timers that bowhunting was an effective way to kill a deer. The two separate land owners had found dead deer on their land with arrows in them. They both were convinced by seeing this that bowhuinters just wounded game and did not allow bowhunters to hunt on their land. And so it took me a long time to convince them to let me hunt and over the years they saw a lot of deer I harvested with an arrow. They now can see that arrows do kill deer. I can see where their thinking was based on what they saw, when they found dead deer on their property. Which were probably arrowed on the neighbors property and died on theirs. I wonder what they will think if they ever find a dead deer on their land with a spear(dart) in it? We have to keep in mind the perceptions landowners and non-hunters have out there on with the different hunting methods. Thats why I mentioned this, as I see it wasn't touched on.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

After another look at your comment I still hold that it's a derogatory aim at homemade device's.
And you reinforce my belief by stating that you'll possibly use stars to hunt.

Do you follow my point?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Perception should never be used as a judgement to allow or disallow anything. Facts, research and standards of use should be the basis for such decisions.

In the case of atlatl and spears perhaps there should be some standards in place much like there is for archery (minimum draw weights) and rifles (minimum legal hunting caliber).

Standard do change over time and are not written in stone, look at when the WSSM came out... They didn't meet the minimum cartridge length standard, thus it was reviewed and that part of the standards was removed to allow .243WSSM and the like to be legal.

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
I have been very fortunate to get permission to hunt on some of the best whitetail land in my area. It took years to convince a couple old timers that bowhunting was an effective way to kill a deer. The two separate land owners had found dead deer on their land with arrows in them. They both were convinced by seeing this that bowhuinters just wounded game and did not allow bowhunters to hunt on their land. And so it took me a long time to convince them to let me hunt and over the years they saw a lot of deer I harvested with an arrow. They now can see that arrows do kill deer. I can see where their thinking was based on what they saw, when they found dead deer on their property. Which were probably arrowed on the neighbors property and died on theirs. I wonder what they will think if they ever find a dead deer on their land with a spear(dart) in it? We have to keep in mind the perceptions landowners and non-hunters have out there on with the different hunting methods. Thats why I mentioned this, as I see it wasn't touched on.
So what do they think when they find a deer that was shot with a rifle that was never recovered? I have found dead deer that were poorly shot with a rifle.

I am sure there are just as many stories of deer that were shot with rifles if not more because more people hunt with rifles.

My point is, that no matter what weapon is used it is our responsibility as hunters to make the most ethical shot that we can make, rifle, bow, crossbow, spear, atlatl or what ever has the energy to make a ethical kill.

I don't think we should be trying to ban things based on how hard it is to do. If it has the energy to make an ethical kill than it is fine by me. Using traditional archery gear is a lot harder than using a compound bow. Should we ban traditional archery gear now. Or should we ban compound bows and use crossbows because they are easier to use. Or should we ban crossbows and just use rifles. Or should we just use those rifles that pretty much make the shot for you so there is no chance of making a bad shot.

If it has the energy to make an ethical kill it should be allowed. Banning things on how hard they are to use is a slippery slope.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM

To the OP, thanks for sharing this. Very cool!

Now it's on my list of things to try!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 AM

here is the post on 5 reasons to ban spears
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=spears&page=5

my opinion remains the same post # 124

Grats AA and awesome story and info

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM

AA thanks for sharing and hope to see more from you again.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 AM

It's all about practice.

EVERY hunter needs to practice until they are very competent with their tool of choice.

We all know that guy that pulls his rifle out of the closet in the fall and takes a shot at a knothole the day of the hunt (or doesn't even) for the first shot of the year. Or the guy who doesn't pull his bow once before bow season.

What is accurate enough? What is big enough? The deer hunter with the .300 Ultramag thinks the guy with the .243 is undergunned. The rifle guys thing the compound guys wound too many animals. The compound guys think the stickbow guys aren't accurate enough. The stickbow guys think the spear is too primitive. The antis think ALL of it is bad and love the fact that we divide ourselves.

Like was mentioned before, we used to hunt MAMMOTHS back in the day with these.

Nice job! I would love to try one.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

That's great video footage Speckle.
Missed that thread.
They had a rifle a compound bow and a spear. They were prepared for any circumstance. It comes down to an ethics and skill debate.
I've been researching the atlatl lately and will probably get one. Just for target though. Looks like fun.
The atlatl is still used by some tribes.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's almost offensive.
Quote:
After another look at your comment I still hold that it's a derogatory aim at homemade device's.
And you reinforce my belief by stating that you'll possibly use stars to hunt.

Do you follow my point?
I cannot help the fact that you're easily offended. I wont use throwing stars to hunt. That was a joke, thought it was clear as I finished the sentence off with a "LOL".
But, to your case, I could if I wanted to and there is nothing in the regs to stop me. Or a baseball bat for that matter (??) (homemade or not). Or the list of other homemade items you provided above.

If you were looking to fight on homemade weapons, move along.
I was clear that I enjoyed his post. But there could be a discrepancy between what is exempt for hunting under the current regs (22 cal) and what is legal for use (a bat?). Got it?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM

I believe there should be some sort of regulations in place for legal weapons as is in place for rifles and bows/arrows. But in reality how is anything that does not fit within the regulation not a ban. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Or just leave it as a free for all. Anyone agree with persistence hunting.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
I cannot help the fact that you're easily offended. I wont use throwing stars to hunt. That was a joke, thought it was clear as I finished the sentence off with a "LOL".
But, to your case, I could if I wanted to and there is nothing in the regs to stop me. Or a baseball bat for that matter (??) (homemade or not). Or the list of other homemade items you provided above.

If you were looking to fight on homemade weapons, move along.
I was clear that I enjoyed his post. But there could be a discrepancy between what is exempt for hunting under the current regs (22 cal) and what is legal for use (a bat?). Got it?
Got it!
Wasn't looking for a fight. Just an explanation thank you.
And there is regulations on set weight for hunting with a bow. I would think that includes spears of all kinds. So the Op's atlatl is legal.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox View Post
I believe there should be some sort of regulations in place for legal weapons as is in place for rifles and bows/arrows. But in reality how is anything that does not fit within the regulation not a ban. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Or just leave it as a free for all. Anyone agree with persistence hunting.
I'm very persistent when I'm hunting.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Atlatls can be used from treestands. Bob Berg from Thunderbird Atlatl in Candor NY hunts primarily from stands. There are many styles of Atlatl, some are good for stands, some are good for blinds, some are good for open area. Just boils down to your hunting land preference. It is actuall fairly easy to throw from a stand. I'll shoot a vid and post it shortly to show that it is possible from Spruce treestands.