Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Short video throwing with the Atlatl
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox View Post
I believe there should be some sort of regulations in place for legal weapons as is in place for rifles and bows/arrows. But in reality how is anything that does not fit within the regulation not a ban. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Or just leave it as a free for all. Anyone agree with persistence hunting.
Oh god, now we have "persistence hunting".

Maybe "endurance hunting" still isn't getting the reaction ESRD was hoping for (unbelievable, as it was reported to be an evil American who wanted to do it after all!), so we need to make things sound even more negative.

I am laughing my arse off. Ridiculous.

Again, people are headed in the wrong direction: let's regulate the extremely difficult, extremely inefficient and extremely rare hunting methods. Yup, that will help solve our wildlife issues.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Dart accuracy at 30 yards, using 6 foot ash darts. The fletching is 10 inches long. Now that's penetration!!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

I am laughing my arse off. Ridiculous.

Again, people are headed in the wrong direction: let's regulate the extremely difficult, extremely inefficient and extremely rare hunting methods. Yup, that will help solve our wildlife issues.
Good idea. Deregulate hunting issues. A "free for all" is just what we need.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Dude that's awesome, do you make all your own gear?
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Default Deregulation

We've survived thus far without these tools/weapons being regulated, it's always been legal In Alberta to hunt with spears. We've never had a problem with them so why worry about it now? These guys aren't asking for a separate season, not wanting to be in the bow season, they just want to hunt with their sticks. Why open this big can of worms? Just leave things as they are.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
We've survived thus far without these tools/weapons being regulated, it's always been legal In Alberta to hunt with spears. We've never had a problem with them so why worry about it now? These guys aren't asking for a separate season, not wanting to be in the bow season, they just want to hunt with their sticks. Why open this big can of worms? Just leave things as they are.
Another good point....why is this nonissue all of the sudden an issue?

.....issues become issues only when someone brings them up.

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Great thread I think the OP has done something to be proud of ,Taking the time to learn and become proficient with a weapon that is so obscure takes some dedication. As for whether these should be allowed in Alberta,why not? Yes they have their limitation but so does a long bow or a recurve. I would suggest that ethics have little to do with the choice of weapon and everything to do with the hunter. Whether you carry a spear or a 300 win mag ,if you are an unethical type of hunter your choice of weapons isn't going to change who you are.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Instead of regulating what tool to use during hunting, I think we need to regulate reading comprehension. Especially in this thread.

Back on track, AlbertaAtlatl, are you by chance a bowyer in central Alberta? Props to you for using such an ancient method so proficiently!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Looks like you can reload for another shot faster than a guy using many other means could such as a x-bow.

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Good idea. Deregulate hunting issues. A "free for all" is just what we need.
Where did I say "deregulate"? I said that NEW REGULATIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Nice try DH. Hoping maybe if I say it loudly enough it will sink in. Not holding my breath.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Totally agree with the above!
And IF and WHEN the regulations are asked for, why not ask the people using them for their input and get them to set the standards instead of listening to an organization that does not use them or want them!
Cat
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
And IF and WHEN the regulations are asked for, why not ask the people using them for their input and get them to set the standards instead of listening to an organization that does not use them or want them!
Cat
This I agree with. Input from the people that use them is important.
Why do we listen to these organizations? Because they are the ones representing us as ranchers, farmers, land owners, hunters, and outdoorsmen.
If you think esrd makes their decisions based on one user groups recommendations your mistaken.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

I would rather see more people put down their 600 yard missel launchers and grab a stick instead.....theres no pride in being able to get within 600 yards of an animal, dial in your 2000 dollar scope that tells you where to hold on the animal.....Kudos to the OP.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Anyway, my apologies AA, I am off topic. Great video, I am going to try it sometime.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
But that would make sense!

Can't have that.

Love the videos AA. Got Anymore?

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where did I say "deregulate"? I said that NEW REGULATIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Nice try DH. Hoping maybe if I say it loudly enough it will sink in. Not holding my breath.
Is the AFGA's position on new weapons to have them unregulated (aka "new regulations not required")? Is this where youre coming from?

If so I completely understand the ignorance. No need to yell
Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Is the AFGA's position on new weapons to have them unregulated (aka "new regulations not required")? Is this where youre coming from?

If so I completely understand the ignorance. No need to yell
What "new weapons" are you talking about? Atlatls? Lol. DH you crack me up.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I logged in to ask DH the same thing. Maybe he meant using Nike's?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
As long as your laughing and not answering the questions...

Other than bows, crossbows, rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders. Is it the AFGA's position to not have any restrictions on other weapons?

Keeping playing your condescending card...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
As long as your laughing and not answering the questions...

Other than bows, crossbows, rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders. Is it the AFGA's position to not have any restrictions on other weapons?

Keeping playing your condescending card...
I am not on here as an official AFGA rep, so your not going to troll me, but keep trying if you would like.

What weapons are you afraid of DH?

In MY opinion, no - there are no further regulations required at this time. Low-tech weapons need no regulation; rock, stick, stranglehold.... what needs regulation?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am not on here as an official AFGA rep, so your not going to troll me, but keep trying if you would like.

What weapons are you afraid of DH?

In MY opinion, no - there are no further regulations required at this time. Low-tech weapons need no regulation; rock, stick, stranglehold.... what needs regulation?
Wearing two hats is convenient. Asking the afga's position is not trolling just asking questions but I understand why your guard is up. You must have plenty of first hand knowledge on "death by low tech weapon".

If you don't want to be upfront I'm not returning the favour. Have fun poodle pointer.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM

In respect to Albertaatlatl and those following his thread on the real world use of these awesome tools,
how about we bring questions in regards to legality and the current concern of certain hunting groups efforts to have these tools banned discussed in this thread already dedicated to the issue.

Five reasons to BAN Spears and Atlatls
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=204267

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 PM

I am a bowyer in central Alberta, yes. I've made bows, selfbows mainly, from a variety of woods. Some good, some not so much. Draws weights from 9# to 85#. I really enjou the Traditional and Primitive side of hunting. There is little that is more fulfilling than to harvest a critter with a weapon you have fashioned from nature.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 PM

stemorholake, yes I do make all my own gear. From Longbows to Darts, arrows to hunting heads.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Thankyou Walking Buffalo. I did not intend for this thread to become an ABA or AFGA bashing session. My intent is to show a REAL WORLD view of the use of this weapon by a REAL HUNTER. Not saying y'all aren't real hunters. Seems that, as an Atlatl hunter, most people's views and/or thoughts of this weapon are not realistic. I would like to show that the Atlatl/Dart combination for hunting is effective, lethal, and ethical. I believe that a hunter, ALL hunters, should be able to know for certain that their wepaon of choice is able to do the job. My comfort zone with a .308 is 150yrds, compound 40yrds, Longbow 25yrds, and Atlatl 20yrds. I feel that, as an ethical hunter, I am proficient with each of these weapons at these yards. I choose to hunt with an Atlatl, mainly because of the closeness to my quarry. I recommend that anyone who doubts the effectiveness and efficiency of this weapon, look us up, come out and try it for yourself. Check out the videos, read the literature, search it out. You will find out that, with practise, this is VERY EFFECTIVE. I give you a challenge...try an Atlatl out, then make your decision on it's effectiveness. I did, and now it's my weapon of choice!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
I did not intend for this thread to become an ABA or AFGA bashing session.
Well, I'm glad that you started this thread!

I'm not sure if you are aware but recently the ABA announced that they would like to ban both spears and atlatls for hunting in Alberta. Keep your darts pointy.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 PM

Left..ASH dart, middle.. takedown carbon, right..Bamboo with removeable foreshaft
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure what gives a specific group the authority to "ban" another group from using their weapon of choice. I only found out when a good friend called me and told me what was happenning. I have thrown my darts at MANY Traditional shoots, am VERY vocal about hunting with them, and was not even considered for my imput. Talk about railroading. Is there any respect in the "hunting fraternity"? I answer, "YES!" This thread has shown that there is support, a fair amount, for keeping a hunting tool alive. Our ancestors used them, effectively for 10,000 years.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM

Razor sharp flint tipped Dart