Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
I am totally against paid hunting, because I believe everyone that wants to hunt shouldn't be restricted by money. Increasing draws etc does the same thing, there are a lot of youth that wouldn't be able to afford the draws. If drawing a tag and you can't go this might work. If the draw is for 50 tags, 65 people are drawing, the first 50 are awarded the tag. If tags are not purchased by certain date the waiting list gets to purchase them .
unless, of course, you know you have the draw so you wait until the day before opening day to buy your tags?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Default Sigh. And not the uncle

Cant beleive i wasted my time reading this thread. Same as gas if they raise ut you pay it. Simple.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
as much as you think of yourself there is over 50 posts on here already, you were not the only one to comment about where the draw fee money goes, and my remarks were not directed at you. Where do I stand?, I have posted it many times, max 3 draw apps per year, increased fees for draws that goes to SRD , not general funds, and you can only 999 for 2 consecutive years
Thank you for finally adding to the thread. And even tho I'm quoting you these comments are not directed to you...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Banned

talk about a divisive topic on a forum that is already rife with 'sportsman' (and I use the term loosely) tearing each other up at every opportunity.

do u guys lay awake at night trying to figure out how to raise hell on this forum?

this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read here, and believe me, I sit at my computer and wonder what planet some of u live on!

poor, poor me! I cannot get drawn as often as I wud like to.......so I think i'll try to figure out a way to screw everyone over and write to my mla with a load of poor me (in the guise of trying to say something intelligent).

i'll probably get banned for this..............but chuck, u need to go for some counselling. why don't u just wait in line until it ur turn? everyone here gets treated the same in the draw system. there r no favourites, so what the h is ur b?

take a pill
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Banned

forgot to add that I will probably be taken to task for being stupid, with no credibility as I only have 185 (or so) posts, when our friend who started all of the has over 6000!!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

.. The op started this thread with the stated intention of complaining about wait times for draw results, but in the 4 points that are put foreward none has anything to do with wait time. i don't think it's such a long wait anyway. i would like to see hunting regs come out sooner in booklet form.
as for the rest of the op suggestions i find most of them objectable.
Pay more for applications? Pay way more if draw successfull? Pay even more for trophy?...I'm tired of always having to pay more.
Also don't like all the extra reporting op is suggesting at end of season. Most people have better use of their time then filling out some questionnair (though i have filled some out on a volunteer bassis).
i won't be signing my name to this letter. Sounds like making up more buercratic BS and hikeing up prices at the same time.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Look at the priorities 4 and lower and you will see that in a few short years almost all tags will be a huge wait time.
ok true but how does deterring hunters help the cause everyone talks about how it is good to expand the sport but i think it has been said the more hunters there are the fewer the chances we will all get.

i guess what i am trying to say we could have it worse.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
talk about a divisive topic on a forum that is already rife with 'sportsman' (and I use the term loosely) tearing each other up at every opportunity.

do u guys lay awake at night trying to figure out how to raise hell on this forum?

this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read here, and believe me, I sit at my computer and wonder what planet some of u live on!

poor, poor me! I cannot get drawn as often as I wud like to.......so I think i'll try to figure out a way to screw everyone over and write to my mla with a load of poor me (in the guise of trying to say something intelligent).

i'll probably get banned for this..............but chuck, u need to go for some counselling. why don't u just wait in line until it ur turn? everyone here gets treated the same in the draw system. there r no favourites, so what the h is ur b?

take a pill

Oh and apparently if you have a nice truck and a cell phone this makes you a millionaire, so you can't complain about people ripping more money out of your hands and kids mouths.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
ok true but how does deterring hunters help the cause everyone talks about how it is good to expand the sport but i think it has been said the more hunters there are the fewer the chances we will all get.

i guess what i am trying to say we could have it worse.
Agreed we could be way worse. I have friends in the states that would love to have what we have. What a few of these changes would do is basically get rid of those people who really have no intention of hunting the tag. I don't want it priced where it knocks people out but if your automatically charged for a tag you draw it'll make people think. Look at the bison draw 10,000!!!!! People applied for 35 tags. I would wager that a fraction of those people know what the actual cost to hunt northern bison is. And when they find out they don't go.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Agreed we could be way worse. I have friends in the states that would love to have what we have. What a few of these changes would do is basically get rid of those people who really have no intention of hunting the tag. I don't want it priced where it knocks people out but if your automatically charged for a tag you draw it'll make people think. Look at the bison draw 10,000!!!!! People applied for 35 tags. I would wager that a fraction of those people know what the actual cost to hunt northern bison is. And when they find out they don't go.
Can't really see how that will help the wait times?, people will still shotgun apply with the 999 and then just drop out?, or eat the cost of the tag and carry on?...not sure....
Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
Ha, that's a joke! I own quite a bit of land that has bull elk and they won't give me a landowners tag for it and then you guys want to price me out of hunting on my own property, make me drive 4 hours to a general zone when I can shoot one 10 minutes from home. How about you guys quit complaining, pick a number and get in line. OR go and clean out your pockets, hire an outfitter and get your trophy. Simple!
Right on the money.
Is my priority 5 the same as antibodies pri 5?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Can't really see how that will help the wait times?, people will still shotgun apply with the 999 and then just drop out?, or eat the cost of the tag and carry on?...not sure....
Will it deter a significant amount of people, I don't know. But if the tag price was increased and you knew you'd be charged either way and the application fee was already $7 more than usual then yes I believe it would make a difference without pricing people out.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

take a pill
^^^this!!!

Absolutely ludicrous to raise any fees $150. Lemme guess...boat, house, dodge dually, cottage, razor, quad- alllll on the never never finance plans right? Sound judgement man. Quality material
Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
....really?

LC
x2
Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM

This is nuts there is plenty of opertunity in this province. We cant keep asking for more regulations and rules. Once again this board miss represents alberta and its outdoorsmen. Careful what you wish for.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Anyone ever come to think that srd MIGHT actually be smarter than the plethora of AO BIO's and actually plan/utilize unused draw percentages in their tag number plans? I would. If i statistically could forcast that 'x' % of guys entering say a bull moose draw in a zone WERE NOT going to utilize said tag, well that creates more of a safe buffer number for biologists to work with. Need to be focusing on the age old outfitter allocations instead of taking away opportunities from our brethren.

Definitively decide what a 'resident' is. Enforce it.
Non residents shouldnt have any opportunity if it hinders a residents. As far as outfitter allocations...well, you know.

Im sorry chuck but your 'solutions' are about as comparable to the teenage cashier at the telus store trying to convince the powers to be that new colour font on store displays will change the scope of the business. Meaning you are beyond out to lunch
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM

I agree with Lefty.

Important issues:

1. Disagree

2. Disagree

3. Agree completely

4. Agree

5. Crack down on "resident status" rules, including narrowing down the definition.

IMO, 3 and 5 will have the greatest positive impact.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM

#3 should have been in place long ago. I'll pass on the rest.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM

The sad fact is, that I see no way to fix the situation. Making people pay for the tag if drawn would deter some people from applying, but there will still be people applying for draws that have no clue about the hunt,or even where they have to go to take part in the hunt. Some people are simply too lazy to do a bit of research before applying, and they could certainly care less if someone else that would go, misses out on an opportunity, because they drew the tag instead, and let it go to waste.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 PM

For anyone who thinks people don't abuse the system, like putting the cat, dog, grandma or who ever else in for draws is just plain uniformed. I used to work on the road and have been to about 70% of all towns that have cell towers in Alberta. I always talk to the locals about hunting. It's amazing what people will tell you after a few beers.
I suggest you go to the bar and start talking to people about hunting and the draw system. You will quickly realize that it isn't fair for the honest person. Do I like the idea of raising costs no. But I do think it would help stop some of the abuse.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Lets not turn hunting into a rich mans game, could I afford it? yep. would i pay it? yep. just like gas when it rises I B**** and complain a little more each time but do I stop filling up the truck? nope. I don't think it will do anything for wait times.
you would have to raise it significantly to reduce wait times and I'm talking 2-300 per entry and a trophy tag of like 2000 to really get the wait times down, under that logic. Lets not forget that every time we raise the cost of something for the government it never actually come back down. so if this idea doesn't work those prices will not drop back down they will continue to climb until it is to where the rich would like it.

Lets A: Get outfitter tags down to where they are suppose to be.
B: If it takes more then 3 years to get drawn the outfitters are out!

If you want to play the money game chuck put money in a draw and once every 2,3,4,5 10 years go on a guided hunt somewhere else!.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM

I'll sign it. But I believe it should only be for the once in a lifetime tags. And the odds have to be better then the minsters tickets at that price. By once in a lifetime I mean 438 and 437 sheep as well as I believe that is one of the most coveted tags in canada if not North America.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
This is nuts there is plenty of opertunity in this province. We cant keep asking for more regulations and rules. Once again this board miss represents alberta and its outdoorsmen. Careful what you wish for.
The population of alberta is estimated to double in the next 20 years.
Maybe Chuck is a forward thinking sort of guy.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM

I only agree with suggestion 3, and also believe a hard look at outfitter allocations needs to be taken .
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM

Why don't we just not allow non-resident hunters to apply for draws in Alberta? It would free up some space in the Elk, Moose, Mule Deer and Whitetail draws. Only allow them to get General Tags and maybe and I mean MAYBE have access to any undersubscribed tags.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Default .

I will sign it in a heartbeat PM me.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM

In the grand scheme of things if the draw system were to change would every ones priority be zero?
What kind of a outrage would that be?
The whining would be heard from here to nfld.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM

If you're complaining about waiting so long for draws what not suggest reducing non-resident draws allowing for more opportunities for residents...like say only a certain percentage of draws for each year are allowed to go to non-residents and only those with the highest priority get drawn...also I hunt with a group of about 6 hunters, if we plan right we are able to get at least 1 moose or muley draw per year...there's nothing wrong with buying wt, general elk, and other general tags every year while you wait for a draw...not to mention the number of undersubscribed tags available, so stay informed on the dates they come out and get those...I would like to see #3 and #4 put into play tho...but I myself am quite happy with the way out system is now and think that changing it drastically would just create more problems than we need right now
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Horse manure. Every year their are undersubscribed licences down south.
Ya in 300.. Maybe your pocket book likes the access fee Chuck . I dont really

agree with it tho . Course i dont live there like you either
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Ya in 300.. Maybe your pocket book likes the access fee Chuck . I dont really

agree with it tho . Course i dont live there like you either
I've yet to pay an access fee or anyone else that I've hunted there with. And I don't live there. Lots of land to hunt