Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
The first step is admitting you have a problem
x2
Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
The first step is admitting you have a problem
my problem would result in me being banned from AO if I could get away with the freedom of speech here and I guess sometime we just have to bite our tongues unfortunately .
Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=H380;2702574]
Quote:

Smokin Joe,Help us out and tell us what zones we can buy these tags in that will give us a shot at a 400" bull ?
Has there been a 400" inch B&C bull ever recorded around suffeld? If you bow hunt you could try 152 and 151 I'm pretty sure thats general archery
Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=chugg;2702714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

Has there been a 400" inch B&C bull ever recorded around suffeld? If you bow hunt you could try 152 and 151 I'm pretty sure thats general archery
only for 2weeks and yes there has been 400inch bulls taken from those zones and recorded to B&C
Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
my problem would result in me being banned from AO if I could get away with the freedom of speech here and I guess sometime we just have to bite our tongues unfortunately .
Tired yet?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tired yet?
Nope
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 PM

I know I am...........take it off line or you will have some time to think about it
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 PM

Hi Joe.

I know you're swimming upstream here and will give you full props for doing a good job in debating your position.

I DO support substance hunting. No one should become a criminal for harvesting nature's bounty to feed their family.

Would all of this nonsense be mitigated though by registered kills and cut antlers/horns?

Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 PM

What is a manageable change that for the time being settles things down?

I would suggest following the lead of some other jurisdictions... Simply requiring a trophy animal harvested under treaty rights has a horn cut in two.

As hunters we are not going to force the Feds to shred the Indian act, but the simple act of cutting a horn in half would pacify me.

If a trophy set of horns is the goal, our draw system can work pretty good for Whitey and natives too. With a tag, you keep the horns intact.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Looks to be three Bulls , would you agree? In a truck with at least two maybe more hunters...hunting according to govt rules

Could be a co op around Suffield. Could be Spirit River....
No its Dunmore

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
What is a manageable change that for the time being settles things down?

I would suggest following the lead of some other jurisdictions... Simply requiring a trophy animal harvested under treaty rights has a horn cut in two.

As hunters we are not going to force the Feds to shred the Indian act, but the simple act of cutting a horn in half would pacify me.

If a trophy set of horns is the goal, our draw system can work pretty good for Whitey and natives too. With a tag, you keep the horns intact.
x2
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Hi Joe.

I know you're swimming upstream here and will give you full props for doing a good job in debating your position.

I DO support substance hunting. No one should become a criminal for harvesting nature's bounty to feed their family.

Would all of this nonsense be mitigated though by registered kills and cut antlers/horns?

Just a thought.

Lol.....

Just picturing the faces if they had to cut up the antlers.

Yez Potty, you must cut those antlers into little pieces....

If Treaty hunters should be required to cut the horns/antlers then so too should licenced hunters. Fair is fair, right?....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 AM

I'm born and bred Canadian. My grandmother was born in 1906 in Ontario, my grandfather in 1886. I just don't understand how in this day and age that some people are more Canadian than myself. So why am I a second class citizen when it comes to hunting rights?

Yes I know treaties were signed but they are outdated and need to be changed. I believe there should be one set of rules, one set of hunting regulations and every Albertan treated equal with the same benefits.

I know it's the natives right to hunt and it's part of their heritage. I have no problem with them following their traditional ways of life but you no what, in my 35 years of hunting I have never saw a Native hunting with a home made bow riding a paint Horse.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:10 AM

So we know bulls are being taken and counted. Will Ersd put up the numbers of bulls taken by first nations before the June draw deadline so those who are waiting on a possible bull draw for this fall can make a educated choice on wether to apply or not before burning all priority on a limited bull hunt. Would be a real bummer to burn your priority on a chance to hunt for a nice bull on the base but find out it really wasn't worth it and should have applied outside the base. I would like to know how many bull were actually harvested. Is it ok to ask how many were hunted by out of province first nations? I think these are legitimate questions residents can ask about our resource.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Lol.....

Just picturing the faces if they had to cut up the antlers.

Yez Potty, you must cut those antlers into little pieces....

If Treaty hunters should be required to cut the horns/antlers then so too should licenced hunters. Fair is fair, right?....
Difference I can openly and legally admit i'm not hunting for the meat, with the tag I purchased, in a regulated season!

so fair is fair your right! either all left or all right..but All together!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Hi Joe.

Just a thought.
Thanks tree,

This has been a solution that has been brought up before, personally it doesn't matter to me on the horn cutting, if the concern is the animal should not be entered into a book. However the concern seems to be opportunity and not reward.

Biggest problem is that a select few people don't want the Indians to have anything, be it trophy, or full freezer, a nice truck, or an education. They see us as a burden without knowing what the facts are, even tho the facts have been placed before them numerous times. Just ignorance,

Another flaw is that to jurisdiction , the province has to stay out of it, we as First Nations will use our own info that is gathered and put it to use, we want to see the unborn have the same oupourtunity as we have today if not better.

If people want FNs to be like other Canadians and on the same page they have to give them the oupourtunity to do as such, not by inflicting wish laws over night, but by giving them fair oupourtunity to flourish. In all departments, fair healthcare, fair education, and decent living conditions. To this day the indian is regulated and prevented from getting ahead, it's not fair to the people on both side of treaty.

If you want all Canadians equal treat them as such, and be patient it won't happen over night
Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I'm born and bred Canadian. My grandmother was born in 1906 in Ontario, my grandfather in 1886. I just don't understand how in this day and age that some people are more Canadian than myself. So why am I a second class citizen when it comes to hunting rights?

Yes I know treaties were signed but they are outdated and need to be changed. I believe there should be one set of rules, one set of hunting regulations and every Albertan treated equal with the same benefits.

I know it's the natives right to hunt and it's part of their heritage. I have no problem with them following their traditional ways of life but you no what, in my 35 years of hunting I have never saw a Native hunting with a home made bow riding a paint Horse.
First understand treaties before giving a bad opinion with a distasteful remark. Non Fn have not always had guns or trucks either, be fair.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
First understand treaties before giving a bad opinion with a distasteful remark. Non Fn have not always had guns or trucks either, be fair.
Then be fair open the base up to the rest of us residents ,fairs fair !
Old 01-19-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Then be fair open the base up to the rest of us residents ,fairs fair !
It is open, just apply for the tag and you will get your oppourtunity to exercise your Priveldge to help the government exterminate the elk herd in a way that generates revenue instead of costing
Old 01-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
It is open, just apply for the tag and you will get your oppourtunity to exercise your Priveldge to help the government exterminate the elk herd in a way that generates revenue instead of costing
No no FN gets to hunt for free so I should to I am just as much Canadian as most of them are so I want the same rights ,fair is fair remember .
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
No no FN gets to hunt for free so I should to I am just as much Canadian as most of them are so I want the same rights ,fair is fair remember .
Just how canadian are you?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just how canadian are you?
I was born here in Canada so was my father and his father that makes me just as much part of this country as you partner all 33 yrs of my life have been right here in southern alberta all 68 yrs of my fathers was to and all 91 of my grandfathers as well . I should be treated no different than a FN male my age not one lick of difference.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I was born here in Canada so was my father and his father that makes me just as much part of this country as you partner all 33 yrs of my life have been right here in southern alberta all 68 yrs of my fathers was to and all 91 of my grandfathers as well . I should be treated no different than a FN male my age not one lick of difference.
That's awesome, I personally can't tell you how long my forefathers have been here, not suggesting I'm more canadian than you, just stating that my ancestry goes back further than this great nation we are all proud to call home. I have had numerous relatives that loved our country and proved it by going to war, in all generations of my family since the beginning of Canada, my forefathers foreseen allot of people coming over in boats and agreed to share this land with some terms and conditions, expiring never so long as the grass grows, sun shines and rivers flow. This is what we're talking about correct? Treaties?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's awesome, I personally can't tell you how long my forefathers have been here, not suggesting I'm more canadian than you, just stating that my ancestry goes back further than this great nation we are all proud to call home. I have had numerous relatives that loved our country and proved it by going to war, in all generations of my family since the beginning of Canada, my forefathers foreseen allot of people coming over in boats and agreed to share this land with some terms and conditions, expiring never so long as the grass grows, sun shines and rivers flow. This is what we're talking about correct? Treaties?
No we arnt talking about treaties..we are talking about fairness. what makes it so fair for you to go and hunt as you please shooting what ever and when ever you please over me ..?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
No we arnt talking about treaties..we are talking about fairness. what makes it so fair for you to go and hunt as you please shooting what ever and when ever you please over me ..?
On a whim what do you think I harvest in a year?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Ain't nothin' wrong with full freezers for everyone....especially those in need. Most seem to not see the fact that there could be a dozen or more homes with empty freezers for every shooter present in theses incidences and I'm mostly ok with it.

However, it would certainly be nice to negotiate a way to do this without driving the cultural wedge that much deeper, thus causing so much animosity.

There has to be a better way.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 AM

I agree, but imposing laws on First Nations is not the answer, it's about collectively coming to a mutual agreement and living with it, until then the mutual agreement that was derived in 1876 has to stand. The only way this can ever be done is in faith of ensuring a hunting future for future generations in mind. People have to forget about trophys, or at least change their opinion on what a trophy is.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Ain't nothin' wrong with full freezers for everyone....especially those in need. Most seem to not see the fact that there could be a dozen or more homes with empty freezers for every shooter present in theses incidences and I'm mostly ok with it.

However, it would certainly be nice to negotiate a way to do this without driving the cultural wedge that much deeper, thus causing so much animosity.

There has to be a better way.
I am all for a hungry family in need of food being looked after and would never as much turn a blind eye to that and would be the first to help out if the family next to me was in need of food with little kids id have no issue walking out the door driving down the road and shooting the first animal I seen to help them I think lots of people would ..even be it out of season call me a poacher if you must then but that family in need would be helped ..that is subsistence hunting ..That is not what is going on in this case .
Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 AM

So what's going on here squeaker ?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree, but imposing laws on First Nations is not the answer, it's about collectively coming to a mutual agreement and living with it, until then the mutual agreement that was derived in 1876 has to stand. The only way this can ever be done is in faith of ensuring a hunting future for future generations in mind. People have to forget about trophys, or at least change their opinion on what a trophy is.
We know what trophies are and I am standing my ground for the younger generations to get the chance the same way we all want the fairness...that was you earlier comment was the word fair .. so I keep asking why is it ok for you to go do this and I cant ? or my son who has just as much right as your son ..you said fair so I am going with whats fair for you should be fair for me ..and you keep dancing all around that comment leading away with different comments. what I wanna know is why its ok for you and not for me ?
Closed Thread