Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Tiger trout

Is tiger trout coming to southern Alberta?
Moonshine is now stocked with Tiger Trout.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM

Bet they will.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM

I never saw any tiger trout on the 2017 stocking report
Old 10-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Probably once they get the legal bs changed and they are recognised as a species etc.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Are Tiger trout sterile?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:59 PM

yes
Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I never saw any tiger trout on the 2017 stocking report
Sept 2017 8,000 more Tigers stocked in 4 lakes. My Wild Alberta stocking lists.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 AM

So southern Alberta gets the shaft again.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
So southern Alberta gets the shaft again.
Don't see it as a big deal, the "fishermen" will keep the small tigers anyway so the wish and hope of them growing to size is just not in the cards. At least not yet anyway.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Until fishries gets there **** together,it will continue to be a slaughter.
Contact your MLA let them no your thoughts !!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Until fishries gets there **** together,it will continue to be a slaughter.
Contact your MLA let them no your thoughts !!
I was told by someone with inside information that supposedly the proper regulations should be in place next year.

I guess the ineptitude in this case is due to our provincial government only updating the Alberta Fisheries Act every 5 years. Not sure why that is the case(if the federal legislation only allows them to do it every 5 years, if our government has decided they can only be bothered to do it every 5 years or what) but it obviously should be changed so if you are going to speak with your MLA ask them why the provincial government only updates the Alberta Fisheries Act every 5 years and tell them that it needs to be changed so fisheries can do their job properly and update the Act when needed.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Don't see it as a big deal, the "fishermen" will keep the small tigers anyway so the wish and hope of them growing to size is just not in the cards. At least not yet anyway.
The "slaughter" of little tigers at Black Nugget (Tofield) is an example.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I was told by someone with inside information that supposedly the proper regulations should be in place next year.

I guess the ineptitude in this case is due to our provincial government only updating the Alberta Fisheries Act every 5 years. Not sure why that is the case(if the federal legislation only allows them to do it every 5 years, if our government has decided they can only be bothered to do it every 5 years or what) but it obviously should be changed so if you are going to speak with your MLA ask them why the provincial government only updates the Alberta Fisheries Act every 5 years and tell them that it needs to be changed so fisheries can do their job properly and update the Act when needed.
It’s been explained ad nauseuem already...it a a federal regulation. Canada has to do the amendment. Alberta can ask, but there’s a queue...a legislative waiting room, so to speak. Interestingly, no province can specifically regulate tiger trout yet. Manitoba is faking it. Saskatchewan worded their regs differently (all stocked trout) back in the day, so it’s not an issue. Alberta is being honest. If you want to point at ineptitude, ask DFO what their issue is with recognizing the tiger trout hybrid, when they have recognized splake for decades.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
It’s been explained ad nauseuem already...it a a federal regulation. Canada has to do the amendment. Alberta can ask, but there’s a queue...a legislative waiting room, so to speak. Interestingly, no province can specifically regulate tiger trout yet. Manitoba is faking it. Saskatchewan worded their regs differently (all stocked trout) back in the day, so it’s not an issue. Alberta is being honest. If you want to point at ineptitude, ask DFO what their issue is with recognizing the tiger trout hybrid, when they have recognized splake for decades.
The individual who I was speaking with works for AEP and he is the one that told me the provincial government makes changes every 5 years. Why it is 5 years or how exactly it works I do not know but he made it clear our province makes the changes and it just hasn't happened yet because the last change happened just before the tiger trout were stocked. They did ask the feds to make the change since they wanted it to happen before the next 5 year change but the feds haven't been bothered to do it at least not yet.

It is easy to just blame the feds but for some reason we have this crappy system while other provinces do not. Time for our provincial government to step up and fix the system by creating provincial legislation and reducing the federal legislation to only what it needs to be. For an example of a better system dig into the way SK is set up, much better and they make changes every year and don't run into ridiculous cases and excuses like this tiger trout fiasco and the barbless hooks situation etc.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Agree. They will fix it and restock.

But with all the whining about this. Starting to think that they should just stick to existing fish species. And work on native species in particular. Then they can really whine.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 10-15-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The individual who I was speaking with works for AEP and he is the one that told me the provincial government makes changes every 5 years. Why it is 5 years or how exactly it works I do not know but he made it clear our province makes the changes and it just hasn't happened yet because the last change happened just before the tiger trout were stocked. They did ask the feds to make the change since they wanted it to happen before the next 5 year change but the feds haven't been bothered to do it at least not yet.

It is easy to just blame the feds but for some reason we have this crappy system while other provinces do not. Time for our provincial government to step up and fix the system by creating provincial legislation and reducing the federal legislation to only what it needs to be. For an example of a better system dig into the way SK is set up, much better and they make changes every year and don't run into ridiculous cases and excuses like this tiger trout fiasco and the barbless hooks situation etc.
You were misinformed.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
You were misinformed.
Then the people that work for AEP don't even know how their system works.

No wonder it is such a mess...
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM

I can't find any information on the net regarding longevity of tiger trout. Can anyone else find anything?

Brook trout can live to 6 years
Brown trout can live to 20 years

Tiger trout can live to ?? years.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I can't find any information on the net regarding longevity of tiger trout. Can anyone else find anything?

Brook trout can live to 6 years
Brown trout can live to 20 years

Tiger trout can live to ?? years.
"Generally 5 to 6 years" According to this book

https://books.google.ca/books?id=tbN...fespan&f=false

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Kind of hoping they take the tiger trout route with Pine Coulee Reservoir since they've given up on the walleye

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Kind of hoping they take the tiger trout route with Pine Coulee Reservoir since they've given up on the walleye
Agree, would be nice to see tigers in the south. Might be a good place for them.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM

pcr is actually one of the best lakes for them