Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Interesting numbers, but I still agree with you. There's nothing wrong with sheep hunting. Leave it alone. If people want to change something go back to what I recommended, foot access only to more areas.
Actually the government has shut ATVs out of many traditional sheep hunting areas in the past few years.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
If people want to change something go back to what I recommended, foot access only to more areas.
Why punish guys that arent backpackers?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually the government has shut ATVs out of many traditional sheep hunting areas in the past few years.
Has it made a change yet in those areas or is it too early to tell?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Why punish guys that arent backpackers?
Why punish those of us that are?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I'm not sure any data has been collected sheepcrazy but under Morton, the government was certainly committed to reducing ATV use in the backcountry. I'm not sure on the new minister's stance.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Sure did in the Ram/Indian Head/ ranger creek area, for numbers of hunters there anyway. More horses now and maybe they need to be booted out of the back country as well. Put everyone one equal footing. You do have an idea there.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dont think areas like 422 have seen big changes yet. The die hard guys are still there and when atvs were stopped I know alot of guys that came back here to hunt so I dont know for sur how many less guys are hunting here. It did put alot of Atv pressure on the few zones that are left.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Sure did in the Ram/Indian Head/ ranger creek area, for numbers of hunters there anyway. More horses now and maybe they need to be booted out of the back country as well. Put everyone one equal footing. You do have an idea there.
When was the last time you were up to Indian head Rich? How bout the head of Ranger or up to Ladder Canyon or the Ram hole or above the falls at the head of The Ram? How many hunters are there now compared to before?

Id like to watch you back pack to the head of Ranger!!!! Now thats a good one!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh and Rich its been alot of years since an ATV was at Indean head mountain. Ive hunted there for 20 years and its been closed since before then!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
They have banned ATV's, which has put more ATV pressure on the other zones which allow ATV's. Now you are suggesting they ban horses, which in turn will put more pressure on the othe zones that allow horses.
I would be very careful on what you wish for..

Why would you want to ban horses anyways??
Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
When was the last time you were up to Indian head Rich? How bout the head of Ranger or up to Ladder Canyon or the Ram hole or above the falls at the head of The Ram? How many hunters are there now compared to before?

Id like to watch you back pack to the head of Ranger!!!! Now thats a good one!!!
I'm not familuar with where you mentioned, but is it possible any excess rams in that area would move and spread out into other easier areas to hunt? If not then any hunters that made it into such an area would be in for a "quality hunt" as some seem to want.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post

Why would you want to ban horses anyways??
They talk a big talk that we as hunters should all stick to together and all get along and not get into mudslinging episodes but yet they want to ban all Atv and horse users. Gee sounds to me like they want it all to them selves.
Seems to me Rich you used an argo to get part way in on one of your sheep hunts!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
And how is it that the outfitting allocations are not significantly factored into any proposed changes ? Sorry, I cannot accept your easy dismissal of this as a seperate issue. Non-resident sheep hunting allocations need to be upfront and center of any changes that are proposed or implemented for "our future and the future of our sport."

Depop

Very good point.

Why are we all arguing over changes that WE make. SRD should make changes to the non-residents period. This is the only management change that should be front and center, nothing else. I hope all of you that feel the same way contact Rob and Jim and make your stance noted. You can bet the outfitters are.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
They talk a big talk that we as hunters should all stick to together and all get along and not get into mudslinging episodes but yet they want to ban all Atv and horse users. Gee sounds to me like they want it all to them selves.
Seems to me Rich you used an argo to get part way in on one of your sheep hunts!!
Who is they and them?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not familuar with where you mentioned, but is it possible any excess rams in that area would move and spread out into other easier areas to hunt? If not then any hunters that made it into such an area would be in for a "quality hunt" as some seem to want.
The biggest thing is sure there are guys that will make it in there to hunt but not everyone is into backpacking and to stop guys that hunt by other means will stop the majority of them from hunting at all. All this kind off talk does is get guys mad at other groups. If guys want to back pack there are lots of areas that not many horse guys ever go.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Removing OHV access is not "punishment" as SG put it, but a means to relieve hunting pressure on certain areas that see OHV use.
We've already seen 30 pages of ideas on how we can increase the maturity of our Bighorn population - limiting hunting pressure by limiting access for OHV's and horses would be a start, with no impact on hunting opportunity.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I use my Argo to get to the Willmore Park boundary. Funny thing is you talk about people wanting to change things so they can have it all to them selves. I DO NOT want any changes made I like it the way it is. I've PM'ed many young sheep hunters on here and given them advice. All anyone has to do is ask. I'll help anyone that wants to hunt sheep.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I use my Argo to get to the Willmore Park boundary. Funny thing is you talk about people wanting to change things so they can have it all to them selves. I DO NOT want any changes made I like it the way it is. I've PM'ed many young sheep hunters on here and given them advice. All anyone has to do is ask. I'll help anyone that wants to hunt sheep.
I dont want big change either. Would just like to see some of the non park sheep get past that 5-7 year ages. I too try and help anyone I can and have even pointed guys to places they could go. Ive even offered for guys to come hunt with me. I dont hide any areas from anyone. If a guy is gunna go out and put in the time then he deserves to get a ram. I would like to see restriction on the guys that kill multiple rams though. Whether its so many a lifetime or time restriction or what ever.
Cutting out horses is cutting out the majority of hunters in alot of zones. Even the atv guys need areas to hunt. I agree that they need designated trails but there are so few of these areas left the ones that are open get hammered.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I dont want big change either. Would just like to see some of the non park sheep get past that 5-7 year ages. I too try and help anyone I can and have even pointed guys to places they could go. Ive even offered for guys to come hunt with me. I dont hide any areas from anyone. If a guy is gunna go out and put in the time then he deserves to get a ram. I would like to see restriction on the guys that kill multiple rams though. Whether its so many a lifetime or time restriction or what ever.
Cutting out horses is cutting out the majority of hunters in alot of zones. Even the atv guys need areas to hunt. I agree that they need designated trails but there are so few of these areas left the ones that are open get hammered.
I don't want any changes, but I do agree that maybe there should be something for the hunters out there that kill multiple just legal young rams. I know of a few that do that and I don't agree with it. If it's got lamb tips and just legal your only allowed one.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
If it's got lamb tips and just legal your only allowed one.
X2
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

x3

Boy if you guys ban atv's and horses that would be great for me I ride mules anyway! Just jokeing
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM

I do ride horses and mules tho
Old 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If it's got lamb tips and just legal your only allowed one.
This is way too subjective, and too open to interpretation.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
Exactly! That is an aged based sytem is IMHO the best possible solution.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbore375 View Post
x3

Boy if you guys ban atv's and horses that would be great for me I ride mules anyway! Just jokeing
As I've stated before, I'm not in favour of any changes and that includes outfitters. I only came up with another solution because I didn't like any of the others.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
I think what was ment is that a ram that is 4/5 curl with lamb tips is 9/10 a young ram most likely 5 1/2yrs old(the odd one 6 1/2 and the odd freak that gets there at 4 1/2). These are the rams to try and leave on the mountain for a few more years.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
As I've stated before, I'm not in favour of any changes and that includes outfitters. I only came up with another solution because I didn't like any of the others.
The only changes I'm in favor of will see hunters back in some the areas we've lost to parks.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only changes I'm in favor of will see hunters back in some the areas we've lost to parks.
Does this help guys on the Panther, Scalp creek, Clearwater, Blackstone and many other areas that have nothing to open. We know the arent gunna change the National Park Boundry?

Not that im expecting you to answer!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Does this help guys on the Panther, Scalp creek, Clearwater, Blackstone and many other areas that have nothing to open. We know the arent gunna change the National Park Boundry?

Not that im expecting you to answer!
What would prevent them from going to the newly opened areas? It's not like they are limited to one area. I'm sure most of them already put in for one of the draws outside of those areas anyway. Seems to me to be a good solution for all resident sheep hunters.
Closed Thread