Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am by no means experienced with crossbows,but I have picked one up,and shot tighter groups at 40 yards with a crossbow that I can shoot with a bow.I have seen people that have never used a bow or a crossbow,pick up a crossbow and shoot bull eyes at 40 yards,whereas they couldn't do that at 20 yards with a compound bow the first time out.The range might be the same,but it is much easier for an inexperienced shooter to be accurate with a crossbow,than it is with a compound bow.
which is a good thing, so more inexperienced bowhunters can be more competent or at least have the choice to choose the tool that can help them be the most competent and humane

that said i've put my compounds in guys hands who've never shot before and within 10 minutes had them shooting similar groups to me at 30 yrds.....10 minutes.....a crossbow if 100% capable bow the compound is 98% of that...maybe 99% and i believe the compound is much more versatile, just being able to reload and keep shooting is something, make that first shot count with the noisier crossbow....good luck getting a second shot off with one of those, the crossbow would fit several situations better(new, weak, injured) but most bowhunting the compound is the most versatile of all the bows...it will still be king long after a crossbow is introduced
Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 AM

NO!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

100 % with stinky coyote, there will be more to join, but in the end , those of us with a bow will still be far more successful ! We have already spent XXXX hrs in the field and trying to get "bow close" to animals. That isn't something that just happens as soon as you pick up a crossbow. The learning curve may be a bit faster with a crossbow, but opefully that wakes them up that much faster as to the effective range of the tool in hand.

Still think that most of the bowhunters here that say they will vote NO are just being selfish !!!! I bowhunt and i've decidd that i am willing to share !!!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I never said anyone was greedy or selfish. I asked packhuntr who he was talking about when he said a certain group WAS greedy and selfish. Personally I think ALL groups are simply putting their own needs first. Bowhunters don't want more people in the field with them, Crossbow hunters want to be able to access the longer, less crowded bow season, and rifle hunters want anything that might move some people out of their season or lower/equalize the draw pressure. Let's just admit as much. Now let democracy run it's course.....
stinky c, crazyfish and me for sure are 3 that dont fit that profile at all. we are three guys who currently hunt with a vertical bow and wont be making a change.
You lost me there Bambi. I don't understand. You are saying you and your mates are bow hunters and would vote to keep the season and exclusions of crossbows as is. Is that right? If so, then you fit the profile exactly... and so do I.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yeah.....YES.

most of us took the time to learn about it, do the same, read just the crossbow threads here on ABO and you'll have a better idea, if harvest success rates are the same does that tell you anything?

but if i must.....success rates are 99% hunter 1% tool......ie; having to draw in the presence of game isn't the monster factor people make it out to be, otherwise success rates would show that....so what i'm saying, what the success rates are saying, is....a successful hunter is so regardless of what tool is in his hands, your constantly adapting and changing to suit a hunt and make it happen within the tools limitations.....the tool will never make you a superstar killer

at the very very end of the day....its just another bow
Very well said Stinky. There's no point arguing with these guys. I tried in one of the other threads but they have their minds made up. I think they are in for a wake up call. When crossbows are allowed in bow season, I think I'll bring both up the stand, just because I can.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
You lost me there Bambi. I don't understand. You are saying you and your mates are bow hunters and would vote to keep the season and exclusions of crossbows as is. Is that right? If so, then you fit the profile exactly... and so do I.
no oko, what i said.....and i would think you would have caught it from several posts, is that crazy, stinky and myself are currently vertical archers who would vote to allow crossbows into archery seasons, but would keep using our vertical bows. it seems we are a few who actually have some experience with both weapons and know their limitatations and just dont understand the fuss being made by those who have never used a xbow. when they are allowed....and im pretty confident they will be....everyone in alberta will see what most of north america already knows....they just arent big deal. guys who are successful with archery gear still will be and anyone who thinks xbows are super killers will get educated and be holding unfilled tags. most will give it up within a year or two as they discover its too hard and life will go on.

so no oko....stink, crazy and me do not fit into your profile of those with selfish interests....we are willing to share.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
no oko, what i said.....and i would think you would have caught it from several posts, is that crazy, stinky and myself are currently vertical archers who would vote to allow crossbows into archery seasons, but would keep using our vertical bows. .
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh OK, I see what you were referring to now when you talked about not changing. Thanks. Yes, you three do not fit the profile. My mistake was just reading your one post in isolation, and then misinterpreting it.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

I don't think that crossbows should be allowed during the archery season. Maybe if the government wants crossbows they could be intoduced in parts of the province during archery season on crown land. I talked to the owner of the land that I do some of my of bowhunting on, he is a bowhunter himself and told him about the possible crossbow deal. His answer was "keep your bow because you will not be using a crossbow on my land" Fair enough I guess.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I never said anyone was greedy or selfish. I asked packhuntr who he was talking about when he said a certain group WAS greedy and selfish. Personally I think ALL groups are simply putting their own needs first. Bowhunters don't want more people in the field with them, Crossbow hunters want to be able to access the longer, less crowded bow season, and rifle hunters want anything that might move some people out of their season or lower/equalize the draw pressure. Let's just admit as much. Now let democracy run it's course.....
Fair enough!

My limited experience with a xbow would echo the sentiment that it is an easier implement to maintain in a ready position, is that enough to keep them out of bow season I say yes.

I also really hate the idea of the OP that this will somehow equalize the hunting oppurtunities, even in the wording of the question to be asked it suggests that oppurtunity will likely be reduced by the addition of this weapon in the archery season, so how does that benefit anyone.

Finally the simple idea of just picking up a bow as it stands now allows you into this season suggesting that the oppurtunity exists for everyone. No one is excluded. In fact as it stands you would have more oppurtunity by leaving the xbow in the rifle season. Archery early xbow later in the rifle season this oppurtunity will be lost to everyone if they get put in the archery season.

These reasons are the reasons I will vote no.

All that said the arguements by Stinky crazy and others seem to have validity I will still vote to maintain the seasons as they are.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Default no

Big fat NO
Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Picking up a bow may allow you into the season but it does nothing to equalize wait times for draws. No matter what weapon you use in which ever season your opportunity to draw that tag should always be equal.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=209x50;766380]Picking up a bow may allow you into the season but it does nothing to equalize wait times for draws. No matter what weapon you use in which ever season your opportunity to draw that tag should always be equal.[/QUOTE

Edit,!!!! Thats me not thinking before I speak again, terrible example and makes no sence! Id erase it, but everyone needs to see how stupid I am sometimes LOL!

Edit, I did erase it, its just too stupid, .

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 12-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Picking up a bow may allow you into the season but it does nothing to equalize wait times for draws. No matter what weapon you use in which ever season your opportunity to draw that tag should always be equal.

Im not sure that can be argued with, least I cant.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Not True!

Quote:
I fail to see the inequality in our draw system, regardless of the weapon. As bowhunter I am still required to enter draws and wait for my moose draw, in my specific zone.My wait time is no shorter than any other weapon, but it may become shorter if crossbows are included in the archery season.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Personally, I like the fact that if I don't get drawn for moose, I can buy a general tag and hunt the bow season, from Aug 25-Sep 24. Now that probably gives me about a ten percent chance of getting a moose. If I do get drawn, and hunt the general season with my rifle, my chances of getting my moose are about 100%. Low harvest rates are the reason those general archery tags are available, I think.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
...there will be more to join, but in the end , those of us with a bow will still be far more successful ! We have already spent XXXX hrs in the field and trying to get "bow close" to animals. That isn't something that just happens as soon as you pick up a crossbow.
EXACTLY!

Anyone in the "Crossbows are Easy" camp that believes someone can just pick up a crossbow and instantly be successful hunting with it is mistaken. It doesn't matter if you think that there's a huge advantage to hunting with a crossbow vs a compound bow, it just isn't going to happen!

Crossbows don't kill animals, people kill animals!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I can't see your logic here. Pick up a bow and you have the same oppurtunity as anyone in the province. Use a rifle you have the exact same oppurtunity as anyone in the province. You a big proponent of choice and the ability of the individual to take responsibility of their actions then this is a great way to express those views.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM

I have already voted NO!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM

I'm a big proponent of everyone waiting the same 5 years I do to draw a mule buck or bull moose in my backyard and that is why I'll vote yes.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM

YEAR ONE: Sporting goods retailers are reporting unprecedented crossbow sales and all time high profit levels.

YEAR TWO: Sporting goods retailers are reporting an alarming drop in crossbow sales. Last year's record profits would have been this year's losses were it not for the surprising growth in range finder and replacement bolt packages.

A detailed market analysis seems to have pinpointed the drop to an upswing in private sales of lightly used crossbows. Retail economists feel this is just a 'bump in the road' .

END OF YEAR TWO: Kijiji's websight crashes, WWS files for bankruptcy, economists puzzled.........

Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM

tree thats funny ! but you forgot hat due to no resale market demand 80% of those crossbows were found gathering dust in sheds and garages across the province !

which due to vey light demand for archery draw tags , all archers will enjoy easy access to tags !
Old 12-16-2010, 04:32 PM

i will be voting NO like i beleive every one else should. The only reason an able bodied person has to use a cross bow is their own laziness. If this thing is passed i foresee my 248 hunting spot over run with cross bow hunters.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM

The assumption here seems to be that if say mule deer were to go on a draw system for archery that there would be a separate allocation for archery tags. In past using say wmu 318 for example, when moose went to the draw system there were no separate archery allocations. Everyone had to draw from the same draw pool and then use whatever weapon you choose. Has there been any indication that a separate draw would take place for archery only? With the exception of antelope none of the other draws exist like that. I am a bowhunter as well as a rifle hunter but see no harm in having to apply for draws for mule deer and moose the same as everyone else. If I choose to harvest that animal with a bow I will have an early season to do so. One of the other arguments is that bowhunters presently do not take away from the opportunity of those who don't bowhunt. That isn't exactly so. When SRD is determining the amount of animals they would like to see harvested in a given WMU they look at the total population and the desired population and then take into account the projected archery harvest for that area. The remaining quantity would then be subject to the draw. The way I see it the animal harvest as a result of a general mule/moose tags for archery directly affects the amount of licenses available to everyone.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:12 PM

Longbow equipped armies kicked the heck out of xbow equipped armies back in the day, what's all the fuss about?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 PM

I guess we will have to wait until the 2013 season to find out !
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I'm a big proponent of everyone waiting the same 5 years I do to draw a mule buck or bull moose in my backyard and that is why I'll vote yes.
Are you handicapped or something and can't use a bow, if so I apologize for being critical of your position. You do understand that the petty and spiteful comments where meant only if you were an able bodied hunter that could fully utilize the archery season. There are provisions in the hunting regs. for those that can't operate a real bow during an archery season.

Even at that I'd have to reitereate that your position is actually reducing opportunity for all hunters just so you can satisfy your personal handicaps.

If you are not handicapped in some manner than some past comments that you yourself have made about hunter divisiveness seems to only apply to everyone else. Your single arguement for is actually a dangerous precedent in wildlife and hunter management.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Still have not received the email.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I guess we will have to wait until the 2013 season to find out !
Hopefully it gets the same reception then that it met with this year.........
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh View Post
are you handicapped or something and can't use a bow, if so i apologize for being critical of your position. You do understand that the petty and spiteful comments where meant only if you were an able bodied hunter that could fully utilize the archery season. There are provisions in the hunting regs. For those that can't operate a real bow during an archery season.

Even at that i'd have to reitereate that your position is actually reducing opportunity for all hunters just so you can satisfy your personal handicaps.

If you are not handicapped in some manner than some past comments that you yourself have made about hunter divisiveness seems to only apply to everyone else. Your single arguement for is actually a dangerous precedent in wildlife and hunter management.
*yawn*
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM

I will vote no. As far as I am concerned it is one step closer to commercializing hunting in Alberta... more that it already is. Anyways isn't there some zones that open up for firearms and crossbows fairly early in the season anyway. if that is the case there are early season opportunity for crossbow hunters. I understand there may be some improvements that need to be made to the draw system but how does allowing a crossbow in archery season fix that?