Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrawn View Post
Get that last bit in writing. I'll support Canada. I hate Yankee's. Why would you want to support that 3rd world country. I laugh when the Bragg look see made in the USA when China actualy owns them. Buy your boat from the states and have pride in your own country. That causes resesions.
lol
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
don't come on a forum like this because you made a phone call and claim to have absolute knowledge of an issue when you clearly don't.
I didn't think this would go as far as it has... nevertheless, for those of us that figure we should hear it from the horses mouth directly....

"Warranty coverage is available only to retail customers that
purchase from a Dealer authorized by Mercury Marine to distribute
the product in the country in which the sale occurred, and then only
after the Mercury Marine specified pre-delivery inspection process
is completed and documented."

**This comes right from the merucry product manual for all inboard and outboard engines.

All in all, it seems pretty clear to me that warranty coverage is available in the country toward which the product was purchased.

p.s "freeones"... to praraphrase your last post, might you please refrain from going on this forum with little to no knowledge of the subject matter at hand . As for your paperwork, perhaps it is a figment of your immagination... or more likely your canadian dealer is doing the warranty work because it is likely still profitable for them to do so.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme_lund View Post
I didn't think this would go as far as it has... nevertheless, for those of us that figure we should hear it from the horses mouth directly....

"Warranty coverage is available only to retail customers that
purchase from a Dealer authorized by Mercury Marine to distribute
the product in the country in which the sale occurred, and then only
after the Mercury Marine specified pre-delivery inspection process
is completed and documented."

**This comes right from the merucry product manual for all inboard and outboard engines.

All in all, it seems pretty clear to me that warranty coverage is available in the country toward which the product was purchased.

p.s "freeones"... to praraphrase your last post, might you please refrain from going on this forum with little to no knowledge of the subject matter at hand . As for your paperwork, perhaps it is a figment of your immagination... or more likely your canadian dealer is doing the warranty work because it is likely still profitable for them to do so.
Are you calling me liar? I don't take that lightly. Send me a PM, you can come by my place and check out the paperwork for yourself. Then you can come back on here apologize publicly.

Are you calling these Canadian dealers criminals? Maybe you should contact them about defrauding Mercury Marine and see what their response is. Doing warranty work is not taken lightly, it can cost them their dealerships and their livelihoods if they screw with the system. It can either be done or it can't, it has nothing to with "profitable".

I'm not too proud to admit that things may have changed in the last year or two regarding the purchase of a brand new outboard from Mercury because of all the cross border buying, but warranty on new purchases was transferable in the past. I know for a fact that the warranty was transferable to the second owner in the past, and I'd be willing to bet that it still is with nothing more than a simple phone call and about a $100 Visa bill if I remember right.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
Are you calling me liar? I don't take that lightly. Send me a PM, you can come by my place and check out the paperwork for yourself. Then you can come back on here apologize publicly.

Are you calling these Canadian dealers criminals? Maybe you should contact them about defrauding Mercury Marine and see what their response is. Doing warranty work is not taken lightly, it can cost them their dealerships and their livelihoods if they screw with the system. It can either be done or it can't, it has nothing to with "profitable".
I indicated that I was paraphrasing what you had said to me prior regarding not knowing what I was talking about. With that out of the way, if your interpretation was that I was calling you a liar, then this would imply that you were calling me a liar earlier in the thread.

Either way, at present according to my owners manual, which was printed in 2009, warranty coverage is available in the country the product was purchased. Therefore for the past 3 years, according to the policy, US purchased engines need to be returned to the US for warranty work (it is in black and white for all Mercury owners).

As for calling canadian dealers criminals, I did not read that anywhere in my post.... I would just think to file a warranty claim all a dealer would need to do is put a claim in. It would really be up to Mercury themselves to follow the rules to which they set and approve/or/disapprove the claim. Without question the dealers most certainly profit from putting these claims in while mercury profits by making their customers happy.

In the end, according to mercury policy a dealer is permitted to refuse to do the work on US purchased products, however I would think that as long as mercury is allowing its dealers to circumvent their black and white policy and earn a profit through warranty work, why wouldn't they (unless the customer stiffed them on the initial sale, which is where the 100% legitimate scare tactic comes into play).
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme_lund View Post
I indicated that I was paraphrasing what you had said to me prior regarding not knowing what I was talking about. With that out of the way, if your interpretation was that I was calling you a liar, then this would imply that you were calling me a liar earlier in the thread.
Far from it, I wasn't calling you a liar or even inferring it. I was pointing out the fact that you may not know as much as you think you know about the subject. That's a far cry from suggesting that my paperwork is a figment of my imagination.

Quote:
As for calling canadian dealers criminals, I did not read that anywhere in my post.... I would just think to file a warranty claim all a dealer would need to do is put a claim in. It would really be up to Mercury themselves to follow the rules to which they set and approve/or/disapprove the claim. Without question the dealers most certainly profit from putting these claims in while mercury profits by making their customers happy.

In the end, according to mercury policy a dealer is permitted to refuse to do the work on US purchased products, however I would think that as long as mercury is allowing its dealers to circumvent their black and white policy and earn a profit through warranty work, why wouldn't they (unless the customer stiffed them on the initial sale, which is where the 100% legitimate scare tactic comes into play).
Call your Mercury dealer and ask him if he's willing to try and get around Mercury's warranty regulations. Then ask him how flexible Mercury is on their warranty policies. That should put an end to your speculation about dealers circumventing the rules, submitting knowingly false or grey area warranty claims, doing unapproved warranty work, and Mercury breaking their own rules.

While you're at it, ask the dealer what he makes more money on, warranty work, or general service. That might also shed some light on your speculation about profit.

I have no doubt that you firmly believe you're correct, you obviously haven't budged an inch from your initial stance despite being given evidence to the contrary. I'm done with this, everyone here is free to do their own homework and come to their own conclusions. I would just encourage them to do exactly that and not be scared off by the bogus tactics of dealers looking to make a sale or guys quoting a 3 year old owners manual as though it's be all and end all on the subject.

There are some GREAT deals to be had south of the border if you know what you want and you put in the time searching.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM

I think this is an area where a dealer could put this to an end.

According to mercury, warranty work is to be performed in the country toward which the engine was purchased, this has been the case for as long as we have been a merc dealer (2005). As indicated by Extreme Lund it is a black and white policy without mention of any other provisions, however it is in everyones best interest to put claims through here in Canada for US purchased engines. I suppose however that dealers who lost a sale might refuse service, and according to mercury policy are permitted to.

In the end, according to policy ALL engines purchased in the US need to have warranty work completed in the US, although at present Canadian dealers are not being forced to follow the policy. I suppose the great caution would be that if you bought an engine in the US, you had better hope mercury never forces dealers like us to turn away the service work to our american counterparts.

If anybody would like to discuss this further, please feel free to give us a call.

Happy fishing,
Rainbow Marine
Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_boats View Post
however it is in everyones best interest to put claims through here in Canada for US purchased engines.

This was exactly as I figured it to be... after all I am certain the dealer is going to make money from the warranty, as I suggested.

The scary part mentioned by Rainbow is the possibility of the day mercury no longer allows canadian dealers to do the warranty work.... this is what scared me off from purchasing a 9.9 for my small boat a few years back from Costco... at any point and time mercury's flexibility could end, and I would be looking at a very pricey shipping bill to have my motor serviced.

All in all freeones is right only in saying that it is a scare tactic... nevertheless according to policy it is a very legitmate scare tactic that I have looked heavily into and verified.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Crestliner 1750 sport angler....

Free Spirit Marine Edmonton ...Talk to thane ...

Dollar for Dollar , compare warranties.....The best

I have a Lund Always max out the HP.

You can buy a Lund cheaper at Kevins marine

in Fort quappelle Sask .... than from anyone in Alberta .

One day road trip but worth it....

Forget Tracker ....lots of hull problems and no warranty....

Always glad to help... W191
X2

The Crestliner is built by the same company as Lund......welded hull is the way to go and if you buy is new it has a lifetime warranty on the hull. I have the 1700 Superhawk....love it.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM

try this site , http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...2F&h=eAQCYQkDc
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM

CRESTLINER FROM THANE AT PREESPIRIT MARINE 99STREET 64 AVENUE EDMONTON, I have a 1600 fishhawk for 3 summers now and I love it one of my fuses went out for the livewell pump and the other for the aeration pump in the live well. guy said it could be the pump(s) or fuses, replaces both fuses and charges me $12.00, could have robbed me stupid but did not !!!