Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Default road to Lake athabasca?

I'd really like to camp for a week up at lake athabasca. I was told by a fort mac guy the road is only driveable during the winter and that in the summer its muskeg. True or can someone pull a little boat in there during the summer?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM

i think its true looked google maps has nothing sat photos look like no roads
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM

No way to drive there it's either fly in or boat.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
I'd really like to camp for a week up at lake athabasca. I was told by a fort mac guy the road is only driveable during the winter and that in the summer its muskeg. True or can someone pull a little boat in there during the summer?
there is an ice road up that way in the winter. for sure not happening in the summer months.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM

One could hitch a ride on the barges that make there way down the river onto the lake to supply the outpost lodges. Otherwise as Diesel Fixer noted its winter roads, boat or atv.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM

hmmmm looks like I might be planning a river trip to the lake.. I desperately want to put a week of solid trophy pike fishing in. I don't want to pay a lodge. I'd rather do it on my own
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
hmmmm looks like I might be planning a river trip to the lake.. I desperately want to put a week of solid trophy pike fishing in. I don't want to pay a lodge. I'd rather do it on my own
do you own a jet boat? if not you are paying for a lodge.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 PM

listen u can not get there by truck or atv in summer, have driven there in winter and crosses many big rivers, it took me 3 hours hustling on the ice in 4x4 u would be 2 days and run out of gas and get daveyjoned for sure, must fly in!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Default lake athabasca

There is a way you can go by 4x4. Go north of La Ronge and keep going up past Reindeer and then Wollaston untill you get to Points North Landing. This where the adventure gets interesting, lots of sand for the next 90 kilometers but only about 45 of it is bad. There are trucks going in and out of there every day hauling ore and whatnot brought from the mines in the area. I have made this trip a couple of times pulling an 18 ft. riverboat and a friend pulling a 24 ft. pontoon boat. It is a long drive but worth it as there is good fishing along the way, Wollaston for example. A big benefit is that once you get to Lake Athabasca you can use a prop boat if you have one. Great concrete ramp at Stoney Rapids as well as fuel, groceries and other amenities. The biggest benefit is that you can fish if the wind blows up, the lake is narrow on the east side with many islands and protected areas. If you coming from the west and heading for the islands midway down the lake beware of high winds that can come up quickly. I got caught on that stretch 3 yrs. ago and was into 8 and 9 waves, that was a religous experience. On a plus note if your boat does go down you probably will not drown, hypothermia will have got you long before then.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
There is a way you can go by 4x4. Go north of La Ronge and keep going up past Reindeer and then Wollaston untill you get to Points North Landing. This where the adventure gets interesting, lots of sand for the next 90 kilometers but only about 45 of it is bad. There are trucks going in and out of there every day hauling ore and whatnot brought from the mines in the area. I have made this trip a couple of times pulling an 18 ft. riverboat and a friend pulling a 24 ft. pontoon boat. It is a long drive but worth it as there is good fishing along the way, Wollaston for example. A big benefit is that once you get to Lake Athabasca you can use a prop boat if you have one. Great concrete ramp at Stoney Rapids as well as fuel, groceries and other amenities. The biggest benefit is that you can fish if the wind blows up, the lake is narrow on the east side with many islands and protected areas. If you coming from the west and heading for the islands midway down the lake beware of high winds that can come up quickly. I got caught on that stretch 3 yrs. ago and was into 8 and 9 waves, that was a religous experience. On a plus note if your boat does go down you probably will not drown, hypothermia will have got you long before then.

thanks.. sent you a pm.. any more info you could give would be a great help!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM

I have also looked into driving up to stoney rapids and it doesn't sound that bad. Its highway 905, if you google it there is a bit of information out there.