Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Axcel or Black Gold

Just ordered a Creed XS to replace my Reezen 6.5. Previous set up had a QAD Ultra HDX rest and AXT Carnivore sight. Planning to use HDX rest again but looking at a different sight. The AXT was good but might want to try something and have narrowed it down to 2 sight. Looking for a dovetail and enclosed fiber optic.

Montana Black Gold Vengenace

or

Axcel Armortech Vision HD
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM

I havent had much to do with the Axcel..but have the customized Montana Black Gold Vengenace on two of my bows and Axion on rest...the Black gold is the brightest sight out there hands down...and will dim when too bright out...will shine in all legal light for sure...tuff and has 1st-2nd and third axis...micro ajust..

I got the 6 pin G-Y-G-R-G-Y
Neil
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I havent had much to do with the Axcel..but have the customized Montana Black Gold Vengenace on two of my bows and Axion on rest...the Black gold is the brightest sight out there hands down...and will dim when too bright out...will shine in all legal light for sure...tuff and has 1st-2nd and third axis...micro ajust..

Neil

Also been debating between the Pro's and Con's of the two Sights, especially for 3D shooting...
I Like the fact that one can add 'different lenses' to the ACXEL, but like the 'micro adjust' and UV lighting control of the Vengeance a bit better. Either way, I suppose both are 'superior sights' for hunting and open target, but having said that, would both sights be available in 4-PIN so as not to move a person out of 'hunter division' and into 'Bow Hunter Release' division in terms of 3D shoots?

Just curious as I haven't seen the 4-pin models if they exist.

Cheers,
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM

I like blk gold , tough , easy to use , micro adjusts , just never had a single issue with a blk gold sight
Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Just put the black gold pure adrenaline on my bow.... really happy with it
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM

I just upgraded my Fuse Helix to a MBG Ascent.. love it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM

I have the MBG Ascent too and am very pleased with it. I've never used an Axcel so I can't comment.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 PM

ordered BG Adrenaline Big Dog 6" dovetail. getting excited to try it out. Bow sowed up today just waiting on new string and sight.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 PM

so here is the final setup

Mathews Creed XS 29.5" 70lb
Montana Black Gold Vengance Big Dog 6" dovetail sight
QAD Ultra HDX rest
Axion 6" GLT stabilizer

Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Should be getting a MBG Widowmaker tomorrow.

Had an old BG on my old bow and never had a problem. Stick with what I know works.

Good choice of sights!!

Cheers

SS
Old 05-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Just in case you haven't been convinced yet...
The only sights I have experience with are two different Montana Black Gold models, and I won't look to buy anything else.
Cheers
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
Also been debating between the Pro's and Con's of the two Sights, especially for 3D shooting...
I Like the fact that one can add 'different lenses' to the ACXEL, but like the 'micro adjust' and UV lighting control of the Vengeance a bit better. Either way, I suppose both are 'superior sights' for hunting and open target, but having said that, would both sights be available in 4-PIN so as not to move a person out of 'hunter division' and into 'Bow Hunter Release' division in terms of 3D shoots?

Cheers,
I have personally worked with hundreds of MBG sights and the pins
And the pins are simple to remove or add...

-Meaning get a five pin for hunting and remove the lower 60 yard pin for and Sanctioned shoot that only allows 4 pins..

it only takes a few minutes...

Neil
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoban View Post
so here is the final setup

Mathews Creed XS 29.5" 70lb
Montana Black Gold Vengance Big Dog 6" dovetail sight
QAD Ultra HDX rest
Axion 6" GLT stabilizer

Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575

Good job you will be happy with that set up...

Neil
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
So you are talking about liking the ability to use different lenses yet you want a four pin sight to not move you out of hunter class?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:

-Meaning get a five pin for hunting and remove the lower 60 yard pin for and Sanctioned shoot that only allows 4 pins..

Neil

Really? I thought that taking out one of those pins with optics involved would have been 'troublesome' at best! Good to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
So you are talking about liking the ability to use different lenses yet you want a four pin sight to not move you out of hunter class?
Of Course, Why not?

When buying a $220.00+ sight it's nice to have options and that makes a MASSIVE difference should one decide to try a different 3D class or shooting better scores in a target league. More importantly, a versatile setup would allow you to return to the lower class should one choose to do so. I think that the Axcel might likely be the better choice in this regard.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Neil
X2.

I have a custom 4 pin (.10 ) Vengence with a 6 inch dove tail on my 3-D Bow. G-G-R-G. Took the 5th pin out since 50 yards is the max distance required at a sanctioned shoot. Helps avoid confusion when the pressure is on.

Just put a new 5 pin surge on my hunting bow. It is a little simpler and a tad lighter.

Very bright pins and no halo like you can get from other premium brands.

Would also add that the pins are bomb-proof. I have yet to wreck one (unintentionally that is).
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Neil
Not going to agree with that 100% LOL.

Removing the 5th pin was pretty much a disaster for me. At some point I'm going to have to ship the sight back to them to do a little fixing on my 'modifications'.

It's serviceable enough right now so maybe it will never happen.

I also removed all of those nasty little wheels. Always coming loose and vibrating.

Don't get me wrong. I love the sights.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post

Removing the 5th pin was pretty much a disaster for me. At some point I'm going to have to ship the sight back to them to do a little fixing on my 'modifications'.

I also removed all of those nasty little wheels. Always coming loose and vibrating.

Yeah, those are my two of my concerns as well.... Getting the pin 'back in' and having vibration due to 'loose stuff' would not be good.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, those are my two of my concerns as well.... Getting the pin 'back in' and having vibration due to 'loose stuff' would not be good.
lol...its a learning curve and not that hard really...I also have tons of xtra spare parts for the Black gold sights, also fibre optic and pins if needed by anyone...

Neil
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post

I agree 100%. If your going to remove a pin from the inch-wheel adjust your going to have your hands full. I spoke with Ben from Black Gold about removing the bottom 2 pins on my 7 pin Flash Point and he said "you would be better to get a side cutter and cut them off". Enough said.

I however have now got a custom BG Ascent 4" dovetail and absolutely love it. I had it Y-G-R-Y-G with the last two being 0.010" but I removed the red pin as I have trouble with it haloing. The standard ascent head doesn't have micro adjust pins, so it was easy to remove the pin. My head also has an optional mounting kit for a lens.

The sights are rock solid and I'm totally impressed with the photochromatic fiber housing that regulates the light gathering ability. Works perfect.

You won't be disappointed.