Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
No marten this sale
Where does it say this ??? Fur Harvesters didn't but NAFA has them listed for Jan 26th ???
Old 01-23-2015, 06:08 PM

russian sable, trust me there is no marten on this sale sorry bud sounds like you were excited, they said months ago that it would be select wild fur only which usually means only whats hot so they can pump their tires and look good.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Banned

This is all new to me but it appears that Marten are on this auction

WILD FUR
Coyote, Red Fox, Raccoon, Lynx Cat, Beaver, Muskrat JAN 26

MARTEN
Marten (Can/Am Sable), Russian Sable JAN 26
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Hadn't heard anything. Seems strange that today's update would still include marten on the sheet if it wasn't included. Maybe you could share where you read this ?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 PM

I know they revised the order of sale times and added a pile of rats and yotes to their original numbers and now I just went backed and looked and ya the catalog does say marten but the order of sale only says sable so I dont know whats going on maybe its left over marten who knows I thought I did but maybe not.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I know they revised the order of sale times and added a pile of rats and yotes to their original numbers and now I just went backed and looked and ya the catalog does say marten but the order of sale only says sable so I dont know whats going on maybe its left over marten who knows I thought I did but maybe not.
No marten left over from last sale. All very confusing this new system. Time will tell I guess
Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Ill find out shortly, I do know they werent on the original plan so if they are being offered it was a late addition
Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Ill find out shortly, I do know they werent on the original plan so if they are being offered it was a late addition
Please let us know what you find out. Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Not to bad I'm only missing 300 rats 8 fox and 4 beavers
Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM

Brutal!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-23-2015, 07:10 PM

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/upload...1-23-ENG-R.pdf

Revised schedule now showing some marten. There was never going to be any marten in this sale. Or lynx
Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Banned

This is my first auction with a significant amount of fur in it and I'm doing my best to decipher everything. What is the general rule of thumb, the higher to the first lot the better to get higher prices?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 PM

the lynx cat have always been listed those are bobcats NOT lynx and the marten Im still waiting for an anwser from a bud in the know via email so hurry up and wait.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This is my first auction with a significant amount of fur in it and I'm doing my best to decipher everything. What is the general rule of thumb, the higher to the first lot the better to get higher prices?
Yes kind of. But I've seen coyotes in lot 9 bring more then in lot three. My lot numbers are from 17 to 33. Pretty happy.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM

OK OK Marten issue solved these are dealer goods which are being reoffered. Which means they`re marten that dealers have sent in that had a minimum price bid on them and if that wasnt met then they get bought back and offered at another sale, so these are not your fresh marten from the ave joe sorry boys gotta wait 2 more months.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Yes kind of. But I've seen coyotes in lot 9 bring more then in lot three. My lot numbers are from 17 to 33. Pretty happy.
I'm okay with where my dogs ended up. I have 17 of 20 in the top 100 lots with lot 15 being my highest. Three of my dogs graded DG3 which I was expecting. One red fox in lot 8 and a bunch of muskrats in lot 19. I'm not going to get rich but I should do okay.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
OK OK Marten issue solved these are dealer goods which are being reoffered. Which means they`re marten that dealers have sent in that had a minimum price bid on them and if that wasnt met then they get bought back and offered at another sale, so these are not your fresh marten from the ave joe sorry boys gotta wait 2 more months.
That makes sense

So even though NAFA listed marten as 100% sold at the last auction these ones must be from previous auctions that they've been holding since last spring or before. Then in the face of an economic downturn they decide to only offer these skins that didn't sell before and hold all new skins they have received, so the price has a chance to fall further. Good work boys. Slow clap coming your way
Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned

How's the top lot work? Is it only the very top lot (or lots if the buyer buys the string) or is there a top lot for each size for the species? The reason that I ask is because the top lot for beaver is 3XL but I have an XL beaver that is in the top lot for the XL size.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Just talked to some guy from NAFA about why my furs didn't show up on my summery and he told me that my rats fox and beavers were getting held back until the march sale needless to say I'm not to happy about all of this at all
Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Just talked to some guy from NAFA about why my furs didn't show up on my summery and he told me that my rats fox and beavers were getting held back until the march sale needless to say I'm not to happy about all of this at all
Did they explain why they did that? I wouldn't be too happy about it either.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Guys,

Between NAFA and FHA....where have you typically found you get the best prices? Not going to ship my fur until later in the spring and instruct them to hold the fur until next winter. Hoping next year that fur prices will do better. Not expecting great prices on marten this year and would rather wait a year to get better prices than to give my fur away.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Im gonna guess that you never had them in by the last receiving date when did you ship them
Old 01-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Im gonna guess that you never had them in by the last receiving date when did you ship them
. It was all in on time I was one of the first trough the doors at halfords on dec the 15. they said they may be pushed back to the march sale for a # of different reasons fur quality,color,grade of fur out of 275 rats 190 were spring rats in real nice shape so who knows what the real reason for it was and I don't know why they would push back fox and beaver
Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 PM

maybe Halfords didnt ship on time every rat and coy and fox that was recieved on time is being offered at this sale none should of been held back some beaver are due to size etc but every rat is being offered I shipped 220 spring rats and 1200 fall ones and there is every size and grade in there and theyre all offered same as yotes and my foxes so somethings up Id look at Halford`s first
Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
maybe Halfords didnt ship on time every rat and coy and fox that was recieved on time is being offered at this sale none should of been held back some beaver are due to size etc but every rat is being offered I shipped 220 spring rats and 1200 fall ones and there is every size and grade in there and theyre all offered same as yotes and my foxes so somethings up Id look at Halford`s first
Nafa said they got them on time so its on their end so who knows its the fur market the fun never ends
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Id be peed off then not much you can do now though I guess but wow I pick and choose my auction dates for a reason and to have that happen without a good explanation ya wow
Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Id be peed off then not much you can do now though I guess but wow I pick and choose my auction dates for a reason and to have that happen without a good explanation ya wow
That's the thing for 18 years I been shipping to this auction date same as my ol man and my grandfather and always did better then the second one of the year but once its in their hands we really have no control but on a brighter note spring rats are coming soon if this weather keeps up hahaha needless to say I won't be shipping anything with prices dropping
Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

I read somewhere that there were problems at Halford's with the shipping of their furs for this auction and possibly not getting them in in time for this auction. I'm pretty sure that the info is on the Trapping forum here somewhere.

Here it is:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=halfords

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-25-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Canadian Dollar Auction Exchange Update

NAFA is looking forward to the opening of our January auction today, where we expect that nearly 400 buyers will be present to bid on this year’s goods.

For Canadian consignors, this auction also means that all goods sold should earn a foreign exchange premium as the loonie was trading on the morning of Friday January 23rd around 80 cents American (close to $1.25 in Canadian funds), down about 10 cents from where it was a year ago and down 7 cents from what was then a five-year low in mid-October.

NAFA will announce the actual auction exchange rate next week at the conclusion of our sale but for now, it looks like Canadian consignors can expect to see our Canadian dollar sale exchange rate at or near this level.

http://www.nafa.ca/17086