Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I couldn't find that trap online at the UFA. How much do they cost?

This one is $90 at Peavey Mart.

http://peaveymartonline.com/index.ph...product_id=586
Looks like the same one, got our "Koenders" about 3 years ago I believe we paid $105.00. Same trap that our local Animal Control officers use.

Not sure what happened to my pic's ... I no longer can see them.

Z-z

Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Looks like the same one, got our "Koenders" about 3 years ago I believe we paid $105.00. Same trap that our local Animal Control officers use.

Not sure what happened to my pic's ... I no longer can see them.

Z-z
Thanks! Did you delete your photos in your account after posting them on here? That would do it.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Default Great Post

My dogs find them when we hunt Huns. Not a good experience. Now they just point them.

I don't want to derail here but for those who skin then, what do you do to ensure that you don't contract rabies?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
My dogs find them when we hunt Huns. Not a good experience. Now they just point them.

I don't want to derail here but for those who skin then, what do you do to ensure that you don't contract rabies?
I didn't do anything special, just wore latex gloves like I would with anything else. There are a lot of diseases you can catch from all kinds of critters (muskrats) and any little nick or cut that I get is treated with hydrogen peroxide pretty quick.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Did you delete your photos in your account after posting them on here? That would do it.
Photobucket says I exceed my bandwidth for the month ... so all my pics are frozen.

Here's a better one I found under my MRS. account, notice the custom window I made on top from a piece of lexan, now it's easy to see what's in the box.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Banned

Nice modification and something that I'll keep in mind! How do you dispatch the skunk?
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Nice modification and something that I'll keep in mind! How do you dispatch the skunk?
I also recommend another mod, glue a piece of rubber to the inside of the door where the medal rod would touch. When you catch one, they thrash around in the trap and pull on the rod, back and forth which causes it to hit the steel door and it makes a lot of noise at 3:00 am.

You'll notice I drilled a number of 1/2" holes (see pic) in the corners on the top and bottom of the trap. I built a mini swimming pool that's water tight (1/2" plywood box) that the trap just fits in, fill the box to about 3/4, then sink the trap put a rock on top and add another pail of water, they have trouble going past 3.5 minutes. After 20 minutes or so I dump out the water and it goes in H/D garbage bag into the dumpster for Monday morning pick-up.

I found they actually poop in the trap and at the end they squirt a little so it's better to do all of this on grass when you dump the water out vs the concrete driveway or pad. Then hose down the trap inside & out and your ready to set it up for another one.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:59 PM

Mother of all Skunks

O.K. .... now able to upload the pics, this one barely fit into the trap, weighed approx. 20 lbs, could of made a Halloween costume from this one ..... RIP.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 AM

no pics to share, but I skinned my first skunk yesterday. not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I skinned it without disarming (draining) the glands. They sure are cool critters. You could definitely tell there was a skunk in the skinning shack (my garage) last night before I skinned it, but I threw the carcass outside and their was no smell this morning. I hope to extract some of the essence on the next skunk I do. I need to find a source for a large syringe in the Edmonton area. Is 60ML about right?. What size of needle is best?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM

ufa sells syringes and needles would think you would want a fairly large gauge needle . Also talk to your local vet they sometime have used syringes and needles they will sell cheap. Can you remove glands whole place in a seald container and leave render out over summer. Good luck lol
Old 03-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
no pics to share, but I skinned my first skunk yesterday. not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I skinned it without disarming (draining) the glands. They sure are cool critters. You could definitely tell there was a skunk in the skinning shack (my garage) last night before I skinned it, but I threw the carcass outside and their was no smell this morning. I hope to extract some of the essence on the next skunk I do. I need to find a source for a large syringe in the Edmonton area. Is 60ML about right?. What size of needle is best?
Congrats Drake! I'm glad this thread got bumped.....it's about that time.

You can pick up syringes from any pharmacy and they are very cheap. I can't remember what size that I used but I just told the pharmacist what it was for and he showed me a few to chose from. You don't need anything heavy duty or really long, just a normal sized needle will do. DO NOT DO THIS IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE LIKE YOUR GARAGE! Extract the essence out in the bush somewhere where there is a bit of a breeze. That part of the process stinks. If you are into foothold sets you might want to salvage the glands to use after you extract the essence. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM

I decided to put out a couple of bucket sets out the other day and picked this guy up today

Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Do the skunks spray when they get caught in a bodygrip?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Some do but most don't. With a perfect neck catch they won't have enough time to spray before they're knocked out
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Drake, Ingrid says 60ml might be a little much, but 16 to 18 gauge needle will do.
We caught one in a 220 right behind the skull, instant death, there was no odor at all, it hangs on the cabin wall.
There is a lot of skunk track out there right now.
Good luck
Doug
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The ones I have caught don't spray but it oooozes out and is just as bad or worse. I think the only way to do it right is a live catch trap and drown the criters
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
The ones I have caught don't spray but it oooozes out and is just as bad or worse. I think the only way to do it right is a live catch trap and drown the criters
Thanks nube. I think I'll just leave the skunks alone lol.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM

I think it's TJ Schwanky who has a story about being sprayed while skinning a skunk when he was a kid. I think it is about pulling too hard on the tail while cutting to the vent (or something like that). I reminded my wife of that and went to cut wood a safe distance away, problem solved.
Doug
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 AM

I am no skunk expert. But the couple I have done after I washed em like HD I made my hide cuts very carefully from vent to the foot then across the rest of the vent. I very carefully skinned the hide away from the vent a bit. Once I could see the glands completely I cut the glands out. And put in a zip lock and stuck it in the back yard to extract the essence later . Then I skinned the skunk like nothing. Just have to disarm the chemical weapon.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 AM

ive got another skunk im going to skin this weekend. Ill take some pics of the process and post them up.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM

My first year snaring it was real slow around my baits. One warm day I saw a skunk dead on the highway and I thought it would make a good attracter at my bait. I got home and figured I had three baits and one skunk. I took an axe and cut that sucker in four pieces. Well when I split the rear half I cut one of those glands in half. There's not much that will make me gag but that sure did! I've got new respect for skunk glands. The pure essence is unbelievable.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
ive got another skunk im going to skin this weekend. Ill take some pics of the process and post them up.
Mirella is a saint Brian!!!! lol
Old 03-09-2016, 11:30 PM

Are they of any value, fur wise and do they eat larger critters like chickens?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Are they of any value, fur wise and do they eat larger critters like chickens?
The fur is about $6.14 average per hide. Last auction. The essence can be worth money to lure makers. The carcass is great bait for fox or coyote. The essence you extract can be used to attract coyotes like TFNG stated. You won't get rich but they can be a good challenge plus even tree huggers will let you trap them.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 AM
Banned

I build my own traps out of plastic PVC pipe about 8 inch tube , screen at one end and a sliding door at front , with a carrying handle on top No spray quiet, , you can see what you have caught . As far as skinning them , at this time of the year I let them hang outside over night and they stiffen up , Then It makes it easy to skin around the vent as it is more or less frozen , no leaks no spray when you pull off the tail . works well
Old 03-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Saw a track by the lake Monday and set a box.

Picked this one up Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (43.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Saw a track by the lake Monday and set a box.

Picked this one up Friday.
Nice catch dugh!

Picked up this one today
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Best Skunk trap ever made, got it at UFA in Red Deer, add sardines a trail cam and you get the prize.

It barely fit into the trap, weighed close to 20 lbs. They don't ever spray just squirt a bit at the end then it's ..... RIP.

Z-z

Mother of all Skunks.

Yes, these are the best things going for skunks. We use six of them in our bee yards. I lost track after 35 skunk's last year.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Another one today