Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Man they graded tough this round!! Lots of II for my yotes this sale. Not sure why they looked pretty good to me and in the last sale I had most I-II. Doesn't seem very consistent
Mine were about the same as yours , mostly IIs and about a dozen I-II. had a few slight damage from a guy that is a little rough on em .I wonder if the high number of IIs is because of the mild winter and warm temps ?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Anyone have any luck with the "download data "box this time around on lotting letters ? I believe this is where we got a pre sale valuation of our hides on last one . It hasnt worked for me this time .
Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Anyone have any luck with the "download data "box this time around on lotting letters ? I believe this is where we got a pre sale valuation of our hides on last one . It hasnt worked for me this time .
It opens for me but with no pre sale estimates this time.

Anyone know if the "Section-Quality" is available before the sale. That info is included in the "Account Sale - Detailed Report" that we get with our cheque.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-02-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 PM

I think last time was a mistake, usually that's only available to buyers, be nice if they did that all the time though it was neat.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I think last time was a mistake, usually that's only available to buyers, be nice if they did that all the time though it was neat.
Isnt that the truth ..Looks like AB. trappers arent only ones upset with grading on this sale . Over on another forum there are Montana trappers that had there pale MT. dogs graded as Easterns .. at least I havent heard of anyone hear getting stuck with that ., yet .
Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 PM

It might be just me but I have not been impressed with NAFA lately. Seems to me there are a few games being played. Also there is a lack of detail in some small things as well. They screwed up on my marten 2 sales ago. I was told that if I get a worse price this last sale that they would honour prices from 2 sales ago if things got worse. Well it got worse. I asked to get my prices to be adjusted. Ihave been told a couple times it was getting worked on.....
I think they need more help there. Seems like they are on overload at times.
At the same time I appreciate the good that they do as well....
Old 04-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Isnt that the truth ..Looks like AB. trappers arent only ones upset with grading on this sale . Over on another forum there are Montana trappers that had there pale MT. dogs graded as Easterns .. at least I havent heard of anyone hear getting stuck with that ., yet .
Now you have.....I have one in lot 370091 Didnt even notice that it was an eastern lot the first time I checked. Sent boatloads of yotes through NAFA, this is the first time its ever happened to me.

If i get an offer next year thats even 65-75% of what a local buyer offered me for my furs this year, im going that route. I have never liked when people come on here and bitch about stuff, so thats why i have never done that, but im absolutely disgusted with the grading this sale, and would be perfectly ok never sending another skin their way. Im missing 2 skins as well right now, so hoping they show up soon (already emailed NAFA). Might send a few to fur harvesters next year, if im getting graded eastern anyway, lol.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 PM
AO Sponsor

But on thing to remember for y'all...

When alls said and done, there is still no better place to sell than NAFA. Just a fact.

I still think even with the lack of good grades, we are all going to be quite happy with our averages.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:24 PM

Looks like I have already had a coyote sold on this sale. A damaged one sold for 10 bucks. I don't like to complain and overall I am happy with my grades for this sale. I made sure not to knowingly ship any damaged coyotes on the sale as I know it's not worth it. I have three on this sale that grade damaged. It's possible there are flaws that i missed when shipping but man I was careful!!! I am no official grader but have been doing this for a while. Anyway, like I said overall I am ok with my grades and we will see how they sell. After talking to a close friend that shipped a bunch he was very happy. He hardly ever get any coyotes that grade GC but he has a bunch this time.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Banned

I really wish that I had a better understanding of the NAFA grading system. I've asked NAFA if they could produce a DVD specifically on grading coyotes, something along the lines of their fur handling DVDs and the muskrat "From Marsh to Market" DVD. I think that this is something that we should ask the ATA to lobby for. In my case I think that a better understanding would eliminate a lot of the grading weirdness.

I had 3 coyotes grade Semi this auction but after Peter explained why on another site and I gave it some thought, it made sense. Knowing tidbits of info like this before the auction would be helpful.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM

I find it strange that I had no semi heavy dogs first sale and 6 in this one ? All taken mid Dec -Mid Jan ..What makes a coyote semi heavy ?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I find it strange that I had no semi heavy dogs first sale and 6 in this one ? All taken mid Dec -Mid Jan ..What makes a coyote semi heavy ?
The way that it was explained to me was short guard hair, you know those woolly looking kind of ones. After I was told that I recalled catching a few just like that and I have a picture of one that I think is one of them. Last year I had two January coyotes that graded XELY and I'm willing to bet that they were also a couple of those woolly ones with the short guard hair that I remember catching. At what they graded, XELY and Semi are both $40 pelts so it's 6 of one a half dozen of the other.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The way that it was explained to me was short guard hair, you know those woolly looking kind of ones. After I was told that I recalled catching a few just like that and I have a picture of one that I think is one of them. Last year I had two January coyotes that graded XELY and I'm willing to bet that they were also a couple of those woolly ones with the short guard hair that I remember catching. At what they graded, XELY and Semi are both $40 pelts so it's 6 of one a half dozen of the other.
tHANX dAVE , THIS ANSWERS A BIG QUESTION FOR ME .
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
...I made sure not to knowingly ship any damaged coyotes on the sale as I know it's not worth it. I have three on this sale that grade damaged. It's possible there are flaws that i missed when shipping but man I was careful!!! I am no official grader but have been doing this for a while.
What did you cull from your collection? Stuff with holes or stuff with rubs and weak grotzens? Coyotes with rubs, even coyotes with very good gaurd hair coverage but that have underfur that is felted will end up in the damaged, as do coyotes that had a noticeable amount of hair loss from combing out burrs or that are well from running through rosebush and thick thornbrush.

I went thru all of the samples last year of the SLT DG A, SLT DG B, DGD 1, DGD 2, and DGD 3 coyotes when I we at the sale with Gary G, AJ and Travis J. One thing that I noticed was the SLT DG coyotes had all the stitching in them, and the DGD coyotes all had flaws in the hair and lacked damaged leather.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
What did you cull from your collection? Stuff with holes or stuff with rubs and weak grotzens? Coyotes with rubs, even coyotes with very good gaurd hair coverage but that have underfur that is felted will end up in the damaged, as do coyotes that had a noticeable amount of hair loss from combing out burrs or that are well from running through rosebush and thick thornbrush.

I went thru all of the samples last year of the SLT DG A, SLT DG B, DGD 1, DGD 2, and DGD 3 coyotes when I we at the sale with Gary G, AJ and Travis J. One thing that I noticed was the SLT DG coyotes had all the stitching in them, and the DGD coyotes all had flaws in the hair and lacked damaged leather.
Thanks for the info! I culled both holes and rubs anything with the gaurd hair damaged. Again it's possible that I missed some. It's only 3 out of the lot I shipped so no complaints but just realized that those damaged dogs get hammered at the auction and it's not worth sending and in some case skinning those coyotes.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
tHANX dAVE , THIS ANSWERS A BIG QUESTION FOR ME .
I think that this is one of them and possibly the last one hanging to the left. The guard hair was so short that it stood up rather than laying flat. I'll find out for sure soon.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking, Marty. I had quite a few shot dogs in this auction and only a handful of them graded SDA (2), SDB (3) and a DG1 (IF those were in fact shot dogs). The rest all graded the same as the snared ones.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Thanx Marty .
Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the top lot, Kirby! I don't suppose that you'd have a picture of that one.
Hey HD I think this is the coyote that made top lot. I had two that graded really well but as I said, I think this is the nicer of the two. Fourth coyote from the left, pretty much centre of the picture. The belly hair on this particular dog was just a brilliant white!

P1013273.jpg

Last edited by hwkirby; 04-03-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

DANG , I almost took a tylenol when I read that word a weak grotzen! I never heard of that in my life ! I though you might get that from riding a Harley or something ! Checked it out , LOL
Old 04-03-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwkirby View Post
Hey HD I think this is the coyote that made top lot. I had two that graded really well but as I said, I think this is the nicer of the two. Fourth coyote from the left, pretty much centre of the picture. The belly hair on this particular dog was just a brilliant white!

Attachment 120161
What part of the province did you catch him Kirby? Never got a top lot had 4 labeled in this sale...wondering if our dogs are to dark to make the top lot? I'm out east of Edmonton
Old 04-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh yeah, that has to be the one! That dog is absolutely brilliant! I wonder if the one to the left of it was your *I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
What part of the province did you catch him Kirby? Never got a top lot had 4 labeled in this sale...wondering if our dogs are to dark to make the top lot? I'm out east of Edmonton
Just North of Edmonton out of 52 coyotes I had only one GC. Last year I only had a few. The Spruce is north of us (Bonnyville area?) and he mentioned his are similar. Kirby's picture is the first PL one that I've ever seen let alone catch one....lol.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:50 PM

I also noticed what seemed to be a tougher overall grade, I sent some poorer coyotes and the grades certainly reflected that. I didn't catch as many good colour coyotes this year. I had only one grade good colour, last year a handful. I do believe I caught more darker coyotes this year for some reason though.

Overall I'm happy though, I've got a decent spread of grades from labeled to damaged.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
If I remember correctly it was taken just East of Cremona.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, that has to be the one! That dog is absolutely brilliant! I wonder if the one to the left of it was your *I?

Just North of Edmonton out of 52 coyotes I had only one GC. Last year I only had a few. The Spruce is north of us (Bonnyville area?) and he mentioned his are similar. Kirby's picture is the first PL one that I've ever seen let alone catch one....lol.
HD I think the one that graded *I is further down the line to the right and I don't have a specific picture of it. We, my son in law and me, had tacked our dogs to this horse barn to have our yearly picture taken and I knew this was my best coyote so I wanted a decent picture of it.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
$340......You hit the jackpot with that one! Congrats!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:03 PM

Default yote's

Well 28 of 30 sold so far,1 buy back and 1 missing,AVG 80.69 US so with current exchange 104 Cnd,we'll see if other 2 sell buy end of auction,$2,960 only $40 of my prediction of $3000 for 30 yote's,i'll take it,my top was 142,lowest 5.00,cheers Peter
Old 04-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
i had the same thing happen to me. had about 7 or 8 graded semi. i trapped the same time as i did last year (nov- 1st week of feb.) last year i had all heavy graded coyotes. i didn't think the fur was any worse this year but my average was worse for sure! 68 usd.

this is only my second sale so im still getting used to the process. is this a usual thing to happen?