Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 PM

They maybe never trapped but this country was founded and explored by trappers and is part of our collective heritage...

How about answers to my other questions? Do you harvest animals?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Otokian... again trying to split outdoorsmen based on your opinion,

Nothing positive added by you!....yet again!....

An outdoorsman has been in un unfortunate circumstance and someone uses it as a means to sound off against animal harvesting.

Then we have someone who does not recognise once again that because they choose not to harvest animals by that legal methodology that preserves the value of the harvest (pelt, trapping, no holes) has to show their lack of support for a related activity to hunting...

Otokian how do you participate in the outdoors? Do you hunt? Do you fish? I have heard about a lot of what you don't do!....
Oh PULEEZ... again with the the "We must support ALL outdoorsmen". I'm glad to see you fully support Metis hunting rights... yeah right. Only those outdoorsmen you like. Give it up. What a *%&#)$& statement you make. Trying to split sportsman.... sheesh. You should live in a communist country. You seem very comfortable with the thought that everyone must think and speak alike. Guess you will be voting Conservative.

and as for the unfortunate circumstances, read my post before you spout off. I said I wish no ill-will on him, I hate to see anyone hurt, I wish it had never happened. I expresseed none of the malicious sentiment she did. I simply said trapping isn't my heritage. But if that sets your blood boiling... well... nothing much I can do about it.

have a nice day

typed while ****ed off, I'm sure I'll edit in ten minutes.

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-19-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
They maybe never trapped but this country was founded and explored by trappers and is part of our collective heritage...

what's the big deal about not agreeing with you and promoting trapping? I'm not campaigning against it, just not my cup of tea to have animals unduly suffer for a period of time.

Maybe this thread should be retitled "Everyone's NOT entitled to an opinion"
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
to have animals unduly suffer for a period of time.
just what facts do you base you uninformed opinion on again!...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Okotokian, it’s your right to have an opinion, it’s also my right to totally ignore it
Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I asked a direct question.

Last edited by nekred; 02-20-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Oko, easy there big fella! How's this, you're BOTH right. Trapping may not be a part of your family's heritage, but as a Canadian, I recognize it as a part of OUR heritage.

The quest for beaver hides opened up the west long before the CPR. We started out as a colony whos resources were to be exploited, and beavers were a highly valued commodity. The toughness of fur trappers working for the Hudson's Bay Company is how a great portion of this country was initally discovered.

I had a small trapline as a young teenager, and some of the best memories in the outdoors came from trapping. My Dad wasn't really much of an outdoorsman, but he always came to check my line with me on opening morning to help haul my catches home. Some unbelievable memories that can never be taken away.

Oko, if ya ever get a chance to check a line with a trapper on opening day, do it. The excitement is truly contagious, and many misconceptions about trapping will be put to rest. Take care bud!

Tree
Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nope, I can say with authority that none of my ancestors were trappers in Canada. Slavery existed here too, but I don't acknowledge it as my heritage. And NO, I'm not equating trapping with slavery. Just saying it's not part of my heritage or something I value and support.

If you had Great Grandfathers of your family in Canada in the 1800s , then it is part of your heritage , because without it, the pioneers would have froze and starved to death , think about that for awhile
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
SNIPER

Did the natives trap?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Yes they did, before the white man arrived they used snares, pits and a deadfall trap.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Did the natives trap?
Where do you think they got the leather from to make their clothes and teepees , Tandy leather , haaaaaaaaa.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Where do you think they got the leather from to make their clothes and teepees , Tandy leather , haaaaaaaaa.
Ummmm , maybe by shooting them with their bows.
Bud, you have been on this site for quite awhile now (328) posts. Not one of your posts has shown any intelligence whatsoever. You are one of the people that would sound a lot smarter the less you say.

Last edited by SNIPER; 02-20-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Did the natives trap?
The natives trapped with deadfalls, pits, snares and drove buffalo over cliffs, as well as drove deer into wiers.
Once the white man came they were able to trap more effectively...
Cat
Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM

They kicked Wilbur off the forum for using more than one screen name. me thinks bud is another one of his handles. Possible shootermcgavin. I am thinking it is someone who gets a kick out of screwing with people and stirring the pot. Any thoughts on this mods?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Doug - I suggest you check the pincher creek echo next week to see if they printed it. If you want it now let me know and I will fire it off to you. You mentioned that you can't open my newsletters? It is a word document. Send me a mail and I will see if I can do it better. The word part should come through but some of the other attachments may not due to your firewalls.
Jim
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The natives trapped with deadfalls, pits, snares and drove buffalo over cliffs, as well as drove deer into wiers.
Once the white man came they were able to trap more effectively...
Cat

Thanks cat, I guess I should have worded my question differently. Did they participate in the fur trade industry, just like the "white" man did?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
sheephunter

Yes they most definitely sold furs to the Northwest Company and Hudson's Bay Company from fur they trapped. I'm guessing they were a much larger supplier of fur than the whiteman. Many are still very active in trapping today.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-20-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM

hi guys just wondering if theres a place around edmonton that a guy could go and learn something about trapping.i no very little on the subject and would be interesting to learn more.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Regarding natives trapping - that's another benefit of trapping that I haven't seen on this thread;
By trapping on the land, natives can prove that large areas of land are necessary for their livelihood - and thus protect the land from heavy handed resource development. When fur prices are good, more natives are out on the land, often with their family, instilling a cultural pride and teaching their youngsters about a healthier, and more traditional lifestyle than hanging out at the mall.

I watched an interview some time ago with a Gwitch'n woman who expressed this very well - how happy she was that her husband was able to take his youngest sons out in the bush with him trapping. Unfortunately, their eldest son was lost to drugs and alcohol as he never got to experience the 'bush' with his Dad when fur prices were low. When Pamela Anderson & Bridgit Bardot are successful in driving down the demand (and prices) of fur, they are damaging this intergenerational link.

Whenever I have the chance, I always compliment a woman in a fur coat and make a fuss about the beauty and warmth of the fur, and tell her that she should be proud to wear it. It's a totally natural, renewable product that often supports our First Nations people (and others close to the land), protects a lot of wildlife habitat, and celebrates our Canadian heritage.

That's one thing I like about our nation's capital in the winter - you sure see a lot of Ottawatonians wearing beautiful fur. To bad you don't see more of it in Alberta.

So gents - be patriotic and run out and get your lady a real nice winter fur coat!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I asked a direct question.
Sorry man. got a message from Rob M saying I insulted you and had better watch myself. not sure how I insulted you, but I guess I did. You of course did not insult me. Just another day in the AO forum. grrrrrrrr LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-21-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud slug View Post
hi guys just wondering if theres a place around edmonton that a guy could go and learn something about trapping.i no very little on the subject and would be interesting to learn more.
Contact the Alberta Trapper's Association.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud slug View Post
Take a trip t0 Westlock and visit the Alberta trappers Association there.
You can find a wealth of experiance in that little office, an some very nice stuff for sale as well.
I imagine Holford Hodes will have some books also.
Cat
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yes they most definitely sold furs to the Northwest Company and Hudson's Bay Company from fur they trapped. I'm guessing they were a much larger supplier of fur than the whiteman. Many are still very active in trapping today.
Actually when you look at it, there were very few whote man actually trapping during the fur trade up here, more "free trappers" down in the western states, and the "mountain man " era only lasted about 10 years , anyway.
The Hudson's bay company had a stranglhold on the fur trade, with the N'West company slowly trying to gain ground, and almost all of the actuall trapping was done by natives.Whites were not allowed to trap and trade without the HBC's consent.
Once the almalgamted ( can't remember the exect date) it became a bit different.
Cat