Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendesen1 View Post
Your wolf traps are legal now and you have lots of experience trapping and never had a live lynx or coyote in a snare. Another fellow thinks 2 weeks is a good trap check. All good according to you but its not for me. As for an issue with you thats right i don't like your swearing and bullying people like the moderators talked about. If you dont know who i am you could be right but what I say is what I mean. Maybe my brother with over 40 years, maybe me or maybe somebody else. I know 2 people who should have never been banned for life so baning means nothing to me. Trapping has changed and the only good thing is the new kill traps.
I agree with tork i think we are dealing with a raven here, he does not talk like someone who trapped for 50 years
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM

here it goes first trapping has come a long way over the years kill traps how to make sets so they work as designed snares power ram stingers smaller stronger cable make for more humane kills but that is not all there is to trapping wastage foul catches and incidental catches are all part of it no one who has trapped for any length of time can tell me they have never had things go wrong without me calling bull sorry here is a list of why i dont like long periods between checks and these are common problems too every trapper i no voles or rodents chewing up furs does happen birds plucking does happen spoilage when its too warm ie green belly trap burn when its cold foul catch you are never going to eliminate all the problems you try to minimize them ie rubber tube on conniebear jaws will help prevent freeze burn on hides my opinion is this to help minimize wasteage you do more frequent checks to minimize animal suffering in case of bad or an incidental catch you check more frequently....you all claim to loveing the out doors and this way of life too respecting the animals you kill prove it not only in the trapping and killing part but how you handel and prepare your furs my partner is eighty six years old if you were too tell him you left your traps uncheck for seven to fourteen days with no loss and no damage he would call you a liar a retard and question your ethics and i can garantee it would be done point blank with some hell alot of colorfull language point im trying too get across is damage fur is money out of your pocket and out of respect for the animals you are killing you owe it to them that they are killed as humainly as possible and that they are used for the reason they were killed not wasted the old boys will call u when your wrong not pull punches or run hide behind a wall of tree huggers use some respect as in any forum there is some very good advice given and some that is very bad as to the original question personally i would either sign on a junior make a schedual and check a minumum of twice a week any longer an you will have fur damage and fur loss or use holidays trap heavy for three weeks and pull everything
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quite well thought out, although I don't know if I would say the same about your style, lol.
.Respect for the animal and the ethics of trapping is something that is starting to decline, as is a lot what we previously accepted as guidelines to live by.
Furthermore, what would you know about anything as You have only posted 50 or so times. Definitely not one who knows anything, as one of our experienced individuals stated. To this logic, I am reminded...Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than .....
Too many egos here larger than 6 townships, regardless a good post...Thx Jawa
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
here it goes first trapping has come a long way over the years kill traps how to make sets so they work as designed snares power ram stingers smaller stronger cable make for more humane kills but that is not all there is to trapping wastage foul catches and incidental catches are all part of it no one who has trapped for any length of time can tell me they have never had things go wrong without me calling bull sorry here is a list of why i dont like long periods between checks and these are common problems too every trapper i no voles or rodents chewing up furs does happen birds plucking does happen spoilage when its too warm ie green belly trap burn when its cold foul catch you are never going to eliminate all the problems you try to minimize them ie rubber tube on conniebear jaws will help prevent freeze burn on hides my opinion is this to help minimize wasteage you do more frequent checks to minimize animal suffering in case of bad or an incidental catch you check more frequently....you all claim to loveing the out doors and this way of life too respecting the animals you kill prove it not only in the trapping and killing part but how you handel and prepare your furs my partner is eighty six years old if you were too tell him you left your traps uncheck for seven to fourteen days with no loss and no damage he would call you a liar a retard and question your ethics and i can garantee it would be done point blank with some hell alot of colorfull language point im trying too get across is damage fur is money out of your pocket and out of respect for the animals you are killing you owe it to them that they are killed as humainly as possible and that they are used for the reason they were killed not wasted the old boys will call u when your wrong not pull punches or run hide behind a wall of tree huggers use some respect as in any forum there is some very good advice given and some that is very bad as to the original question personally i would either sign on a junior make a schedual and check a minumum of twice a week any longer an you will have fur damage and fur loss or use holidays trap heavy for three weeks and pull everything
Nothing wrong with checking trap once a week you have your opinion to bad its wrong
Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey guys, I am in the process of checking out a line to buy right now. it is less than 3 hrs from home. Price is a bit more than I think it should be but we haven't got to the bottom line yet either so hopefully that changes for the better. I was curious to know how often some of you guys check your lines? I have people tell me they like to check once every 4 days and others say a week or more. What do you find works best for you? For me personally I think I can do it on a weekly basis but is that too long? I don't want to get into this if I am over my head.
A good thought. I am not wanting to discourage you in any way. Just to think it thru. Aside from weather factors and trap checking...

A good trapline requires work much more than just trapping season. Pre season requires some time on trails and gear. Nothing like a wind storm to change the trails.

I mention this only because I believe you work out and also trap one line already.

Managing a long line is more than just catching animals. Trapline cabins require upkeep and firewood. If fur prices drop out, you still have to trap to maintain status of the line. If industry moves in you can lose a section of your trapline due to activity. Foresty fire can change a line. If you get sick, does someone know where sets are and check traps for you? Are you willing to contend with other hunters on your line in November? Alot of times trappers like to wait for hunting season to be over so there is less chance of trap theft or disturbances.
Lots of factors.

I would also be curious on the historical returns of the line you are triing to acquire.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Quite well thought out, although I don't know if I would say the same about your style, lol.
.Respect for the animal and the ethics of trapping is something that is starting to decline, as is a lot what we previously accepted as guidelines to live by.
Furthermore, what would you know about anything as You have only posted 50 or so times. Definitely not one who knows anything, as one of our experienced individuals stated. To this logic, I am reminded...Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than .....
Too many egos here larger than 6 townships, regardless a good post...Thx Jawa
sourdough my thanks for the compliment and a slap on the pee pee lol internet is new im older wouldnt have said anything but some **** bothers me comes a point where i speak up and yes some large egoes and maybe some wanting too justify being lazy by encourageing others its not all glory and the thrill of the kill last i will say should just stick too reading in my spare time
Old 03-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
I actually passed out reading this, I didn't know where to stop and breath lol
Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I actually passed out reading this, I didn't know where to stop and breath lol
Some good advice in preveous posts another thing is to think about the young kids who have trapping courses and read some of this stuff. Ive heard of people passing out from whisky but not from not knowing how to breath.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Well, I have been reading this with a lot of interest. By the sounds of it some of you guy the only ay you will be happy is if I were to live in the cabin and babysit the trapline 6 months out of the year. I think I can put in the time it takes to catch a bit of fur and enjoy my line. I'm not stupid and I think I can make it work. Then when I am older I can also put more time into it. Fingers crossed it works out. Just waiting on a few things to happen and hopefully will have a line that I will enjoy
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM

I guess even threads on the trapping forum go sideways... One thing just struck me, hendesen1 and jawa have the exact same writing style(no punctuation) have the same attitude and also stick up for each other. Must be brothers or something
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I have been reading this with a lot of interest. By the sounds of it some of you guy the only ay you will be happy is if I were to live in the cabin and babysit the trapline 6 months out of the year. I think I can put in the time it takes to catch a bit of fur and enjoy my line. I'm not stupid and I think I can make it work. Then when I am older I can also put more time into it. Fingers crossed it works out. Just waiting on a few things to happen and hopefully will have a line that I will enjoy
You'll be fine Nube. Hope it works out for you
Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
I guess even threads on the trapping forum go sideways... One thing just struck me, hendesen1 and jawa have the exact same writing style(no punctuation) have the same attitude and also stick up for each other. Must be brothers or something
would you believe sisters? just kidden, caught again and im running out of names.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM

I worked a regular job and trapped just on weekends for decades. Many many years of weekly trapline checks with no problems. And some of those were in the foothold years. I don't support minimum check laws but I do support humane trapping, the two are not necessarily the same thing.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Keep up the good work, Nube. My 14 year old son and I just started trapping this year under a resident license. We haven't had a ton of success yet (5 yotes, 1 beaver, 1 muskrat), but we are learning a lot and really enjoying it. We have also enjoyed your posts and the success you have obviously worked hard to get.

Good luck with your line. We hope it works out for you.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I worked a regular job and trapped just on weekends for decades. Many many years of weekly trapline checks with no problems. And some of those were in the foothold years. I don't support minimum check laws but I do support humane trapping, the two are not necessarily the same thing.
Before skidos we walked and i seen many animals in traps for a week and it is not pretty with broke legs and chewed feet and some that were dead half eat up or fur plucked. According to the magazine you are king trapper so explain about your post. 6 days is as bad as tork.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Before skidos we walked and i seen many animals in traps for a week and it is not pretty with broke legs and chewed feet and some that were dead half eat up or fur plucked. According to the magazine you are king trapper so explain about your post. 6 days is as bad as tork.
Would like to know.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I knew it. Ravenlunatic why don't you go jump off a bridge somewhere. Mods why are you letting this guy derail our threads again ? You got rid of him once now please do it again. Clearly we all can see who he is.

And Ravenlunatic or hendesen1 do you really live that pathetic of an existence that this is what you consider a good time. I feel sorry your life has become this sad
Old 03-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Tork - do you remember that kid in the schoolyard that nobody liked… well even they grow up, and many are still seeking any attention they can get, even negative. It's kind of sad in a way isn't it. Why don't we just let him keep on living in his fantasy world by himself.

For those of you who matter, my rational for not supporting mandatory check times is they do not instill ethics, or turn a trapper into a humane harvester.

For example sometimes you should be checking your lynx snares every day or else lose lynx to cat cannibals roaming your line. Under those circumstances footholds every 48 hours make more sense.

Sometimes though weather conspires against you and 48 hours isn't possible, does that make you a inhumane trapper? I got a warning once for leaving footholds out for 72 hours, due to a complaint by a brother trapper. I pointed out to the CO it had been -42 the day before and -34 the day I was checking my traps. He admitted I had a point, hence the warning. Plus he's a good guy anyways.

Trying to regulate ethics doesn't work with trappers or industry, someone has to teach by example ( isn't that right all you parents?) . Luckily most trappers had great mentors and all current ATA training teaches and instills ethics.

Today's trapper cares about furbearer's in a way our ancestors didn't. That isn't disrespectful as we treat each other a lot better too. Time marches on.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Torker and Bilson - torker doesn't even know what the thread is about he derailed it anchoring traps. Bilson knows this isnt about 40 below weather or teaching ethics, its about people like him and torker who check traps when they feel like it not whats best. Thats what laws are for, people like them and anybody who cares about trapping knows 6 days or two weeks is crazy especially with bilsons legholds. Bunch of bs.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Torker and Bilson - torker doesn't even know what the thread is about he derailed it anchoring traps. Bilson knows this isnt about 40 below weather or teaching ethics, its about people like him and torker who check traps when they feel like it not whats best. Thats what laws are for, people like them and anybody who cares about trapping knows 6 days or two weeks is crazy especially with bilsons legholds. Bunch of bs.
The anchoring traps discussion is in another thread. Maybe your confused because of your multiple user names or multiple personalities, I'm sure that will all play out later. Either way the mods will have you banned in a few hours I'm sure and we can all go back to enjoying our Forum.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Tork - do you remember that kid in the schoolyard that nobody liked… well even they grow up, and many are still seeking any attention they can get, even negative. It's kind of sad in a way isn't it. Why don't we just let him keep on living in his fantasy world by himself.

For those of you who matter, my rational for not supporting mandatory check times is they do not instill ethics, or turn a trapper into a humane harvester.

For example sometimes you should be checking your lynx snares every day or else lose lynx to cat cannibals roaming your line. Under those circumstances footholds every 48 hours make more sense.

Sometimes though weather conspires against you and 48 hours isn't possible, does that make you a inhumane trapper? I got a warning once for leaving footholds out for 72 hours, due to a complaint by a brother trapper. I pointed out to the CO it had been -42 the day before and -34 the day I was checking my traps. He admitted I had a point, hence the warning. Plus he's a good guy anyways.

Trying to regulate ethics doesn't work with trappers or industry, someone has to teach by example ( isn't that right all you parents?) . Luckily most trappers had great mentors and all current ATA training teaches and instills ethics.

Today's trapper cares about furbearer's in a way our ancestors didn't. That isn't disrespectful as we treat each other a lot better too. Time marches on.

I agree Brian
Old 03-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Hende- take it up with the powers that be that can change it for your likeing. untill then you have stated your thoughts and it is now time for you to move on or actually post something of value instead of complaining.
How about posting a few pics for some of us newbies here and show us a few of your humane setups or ways we can do better at protecting our fur once caught! Do you have some ideas or sets that would help? How about some pics of some fur you have?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Torkdiesel;2356142]The anchoring traps discussion is in another thread. Maybe your confused because of your multiple user names or multiple personalities, I'm sure that will all play out later. Either way the mods will have you banned in a few hours I'm sure and we can all go back to enjoying our Forum.[/QUOTE Your right torker i had the 2 mixed up when i typed in. If that gets me banned i guess thats it and you can get back to bullying and swearing at people.As for you agreeing with Bilson i think the sun is up tomorrow too.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hende- take it up with the powers that be that can change it for your likeing. untill then you have stated your thoughts and it is now time for you to move on or actually post something of value instead of complaining.
How about posting a few pics for some of us newbies here and show us a few of your humane setups or ways we can do better at protecting our fur once caught! Do you have some ideas or sets that would help? How about some pics of some fur you have?
The powers that be are the laws that are supposed to be followed and here anything goes. Im real surprised at the number of guys that have such a bad attitude and you are right I have stated my thoughts but its hopeless.I have not trapped for 3 yr and just shoot wolves and coyotes and only the wife takes the odd picture. If you want the best fur and be most humane just follow the law when trapping but not snaring. If you can stand them rams are best for killing most times and other snares anchor high and solid or go for tangling up or both.Some guys leave snares for way to long because the goverment says its legal. Theres no law that says when to check them which is terrible If you check them like legholds thats the best you can do.Never have tried stingers but read about them. Im waiting for mr Bilson to explain.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The powers that be are the laws that are supposed to be followed and here anything goes. Im real surprised at the number of guys that have such a bad attitude and you are right I have stated my thoughts but its hopeless.I have not trapped for 3 yr and just shoot wolves and coyotes and only the wife takes the odd picture. If you want the best fur and be most humane just follow the law when trapping but not snaring. If you can stand them rams are best for killing most times and other snares anchor high and solid or go for tangling up or both.Some guys leave snares for way to long because the goverment says its legal. Theres no law that says when to check them which is terrible If you check them like legholds thats the best you can do.Never have tried stingers but read about them. Im waiting for mr Bilson to explain.
You never trapped a day in your life ravenlunatic your an anti who for some reason likes to lurk on trapping forums, you are one pathetic human being,whats your next name gonna be?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 PM

back on track
Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
back on track
Thank you Sir
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks Pixel.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Thank you Sir
what he said
Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 PM

Just for clarity now that knot-head is gone, when I trapped on weekends I used body grips and snares not footholds. But growing up in the NWT we left foothold sets down for a week many times, which was legal. Times change