Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2024, 02:29 PM

Default first insulated ice shelter?

Hey board members!

I've been fishing for the past two years with a Canadian Tire house brand 2 person pop-up shelter. It's pretty basic but as my first unit it did the job. There is nothing wrong with it per se but I am thinking about purchasing an insulated shelter. I tend to usually fish on my own or with a single partner so not looking for something overly large. Would like some suggestions for an entry level insulated shelter? I would like to try overnighting on the ice. I fish with minimal gear generally, so I don't use a heater currently hence the desire for something insulated.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Look at the Eskimo 450XD. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and sounds like your needs are just like mine. We have ours now going on its third season and its been great.

On sale here...

https://thefishinhole.com/eskimo-out...i-shelter.html

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Look at the Eskimo 450XD. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and sounds like your needs are just like mine. We have ours now going on its third season and its been great.

On sale here...

https://thefishinhole.com/eskimo-out...i-shelter.html
This. The 450x is exactly what you need.
Old 01-09-2024, 05:21 PM

The Otter Vortex Lodge is another one to look at. This is the bare minimum of size needed to overnight. One man setup easy peasy.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:32 AM

Check out the eskimo 949I,I love mine ,more than enough room for overnighters
Old 01-10-2024, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We had a tent with a black interior and it was really dark inside compared to the light grey interior but if you sight fish with the window flaps up the black interior is great....it’s not what we do so we went with the grey interior...also the actual door is a must after having the step over door....in two feet of snow, bundled up, cold out and bringing gear in and out I can’t remember how many times I tripped on the bottom coming in or out or have your fishing partner stumble in and almost land on your lap with a garage sale of gear laying on the ice....funny but it gets old

I recommend going to various stores that have these tents set up and check them out yourself....

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-11-2024, 08:27 AM

I'll add a vote for the Eskimo 450XD. The no trip door is worth it! Comfortable for a couple of guys with gear. I've taken it solo several times as well and didn't feel like it was overly large especially once I had a couple of holes drilled.

You may not have a heater currently, but the size will at least allow you to add that option if/when you desire.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:19 PM

Eskimo quickfish 3i?
Old 01-12-2024, 08:37 AM

I habe a Clam Nanook insulated flip and it's great for me. I don't fish with 2 but easily could. Works great for me and the fuzzy though
Old 01-12-2024, 11:40 AM

There are some sales on them at Canadian Tire now too.

Link is here.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:19 PM

Another vote here for the Eskimo Outbreak 450XD, with the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge not far behind in second. Any of the other choices so far also work if you're not concerned about the door.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
There are some sales on them at Canadian Tire now too.

Link is here.
I just got one "Outbound Ice Fishing Shelter Crystal 2 Insulated". It is rated pretty high, and right now it is on sale. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omf View Post
I just got one "Outbound Ice Fishing Shelter Crystal 2 Insulated". It is rated pretty high, and right now it is on sale. Haven't tried it yet.
I think the shelter I have in the non-insulated version of this. I've been doing some intensive market research and have read and taken every suggestion in this thread into consideration. When finances allow I like to spend the cheddar on a quality product.

Eskimo clearly builds a great product. I would like to spring for this one but I'm keeping my eye on sales. It's a jungle out there and every manufacturer is trying hard to snag our available ice fishing dollars.

Edit: just wanted to add after my initial post that I went on the CT website. They have the insulated version of the shelter I use for the same price I paid for my un-insulated shelter two years ago. Gonna pull the trigger on this one I think. Reviews appear good and the price is something I can handle right now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I do have an old Coleman catalytic heater that would really help in this actual winter weather we are coping with.

Last edited by archerynut; 01-15-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:16 AM

If you watch marketplace you can get some decent deals, but they go quick. I saw a mint Eskimo Quickfish 3i and Eskimo Shark Auger for $500 package deal.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:07 PM

Default first insulated ice shelter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
If you watch marketplace you can get some decent deals, but they go quick. I saw a mint Eskimo Quickfish 3i and Eskimo Shark Auger for $500 package deal.

I seen a big buddy for $25. It was real dusty and from the description I got the sense it was a wife or ex-wife selling off hubbys gear. “
Description- I’m not sure if it’s any good, and a bit dusty”.

I’m sure she got a ton of messages instantly. I wrote one as the ad was less than an hour old but no dice.
I have a quickfish 3I and I can’t imagine trying to sleep in anything smaller. I’ve had 3 in it but it was too tight. Even with 2 it’s just barely enough. My cot was touching at both ends as well.