Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default Minimum start Ice fishing rigs

OK, BC boy says standing on ice over hole with small rod is just weird... wife says 'let's try it'... Can't knock that!
So... what do I need as a 'minimum' ice fishing setup? rod/reel, line preference, lure/bait suggestions... (have standard trout/fly/salmon/troll (yes, no ocean here!) gear onhand)
How about location ideas? Am in Lethbridge, willing to drive <2hrs...
Appreciate guidance! Who knows, might like this! THANKS!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM

It will all depend on what your budget will be for what kind of gear to suggest.

I would suggest getting a 6 or 8" hand auger until you know whether or not you are really into it.

I would also get at least 1 rod and reel combo for each of you and maybe a tip up for each of you. For the rod combos you should probably look at an all around rod. Maybe some that can handle walleye or pike but also has a marmish style strike indicator at the top so you can also fish for small fish like perch and small trout.

For hooks and bait I would stick to small jigs or jigging spoons with bait like maggots, worms, minnows, power bait, corn, or whatever else you would use for open water baits.

If you want to try it out close to home you can go try and catch some pike through the ice at henderson lake or nicholas sheran for trout, pike, and some small perch and both are right in the city.

I will be out on the ice hopefully at the beginning of the new year and can try to help you out a bit if you would like.

There is quite a few lakes within an hour of Lethbridge that you can hit up. If you want a list of them send me a pm and I will do my best to list them off and some spots to try at the places I know.

Nate
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
OK, BC boy says standing on ice over hole with small rod is just weird... wife says 'let's try it'... Can't knock that!
So... what do I need as a 'minimum' ice fishing setup? rod/reel, line preference, lure/bait suggestions... (have standard trout/fly/salmon/troll (yes, no ocean here!) gear onhand)
How about location ideas? Am in Lethbridge, willing to drive <2hrs...
Appreciate guidance! Who knows, might like this! THANKS!
'Minimums' really depend on your preference on how you want to fish. If you want to fish in warmth and comfort, obviously some sort of shelter would be a minimum. And if you're looking for the absolute bare minimums, some fishing line, some sort of hook and bait, and your hands is all you really need. But I assume you're looking for something more towards the middle of those extremes, lol.

You should be able to find a decent used 6" or 8" hand auger, people are selling them on here all the time.

As far as setups... If you prefer to fish actively (jigging, etc) a rod/reel combo is a must. Like npauls said, something that is close to an all-round ice rod/reel would be beneficial for you. You can find inexpensive rod/reel combos (from Walmart, Can Tire, etc), but I can't really speak to how well they perform, as I haven't bought a combo in a long while.

And because jigging with two rods simultaneously is fairly ridiculous, lol, you'll need a tip up of some sort. Or if you just want to set up your tip ups and sit and wait, instead of jigging + 'dead sticking', you'll need 2. This could be anything from line tied to a milk jug, to some sort of home-made device, to a store bought one. I would imagine the store bought one would be the way you'd want to go, as I don't believe those setups are that expensive. Though again I don't know for sure as I have my own home-made setups.

Line choice will all depend on the targeted fish.

For pike, lots of people use a braided/'super' line, like power-pro or suffix. I personally run 30 lb power pro on my rod/reel and have a braided ice line on my tip ups. I also make my own leaders with covered steel, but decent leaders can also be bought.

For trout, perch, walleye, etc, you'll obviously want to run a lighter line, 2,4,6 lbs mono or flouro. You could also use a braid with a flouro leader, kinds of depends on preference.

Lures: Again, all dependent on fish, but the usual suspects are jigs and spoons of varying sizes, and some sort of quick-strike rig for your tip ups w/ bait (though jigs can be used).

As far as places:
As npauls pointed out, close to home there's Nic Sheran and Henderson, and there's also Park Lake just outside the city.
- Keho (0.5hr drive)
- Travers (1hr)
- MacGregor (~1.5hr)
- Pine Coulee (~1.5hr)
- Chin/Stafford (~1hr)
- St. Mary (~<1hr)
- Lee Lake (~1.5hr)
- Beauvais (~1.5hr)
- Lots of others as well, just need look over a map, and ask questions if have any about certain lakes.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 PM

if you want to get into ice fishing, and have money buy a gas auger, drilling holes by hand get old very quick
Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
if you want to get into ice fishing, and have money buy a gas auger, drilling holes by hand get old very quick
I have 8" hand auger - hand drilling sucks in spring. 6" on the other hand should be more than 1.77777778 times easier , offset handles make life easier as well IMHO
Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Get a 6inch finbore, its pretty easy until you get 16+inches.

You'll need a couple ice/rod reel combos, personally I just put my summer reels on the icerods.

Tipups..very optional if your just starting.

Go to The Fishin Hole and ask if they can help you find a small assortment of icefishing lures for ____ species. Ice specific lures do work somewhat better than your summer ones.

GOOD winter clothing. Touqe, jacket, ski pants, gloves, boot, socks

Something to sit on, lawnchairs or upturned 5 gallon pails work fine.

BAIT

Ice scoop for clearing the hole

Thats all you really NEED.

I could go on all day about the things that would make it better.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 AM

First you'll need some way to get a hole through the ice (6" hand auger is great for the early season, and to decide if it's for you. If you really get in to it, then look for a gas auger later in the season as you need it)

A rod and line, which can be anything from a stick with some line on it to an ice rod with one of your summer reels, or just an ice combo, which can generally be had for $20.

Depending on the species you're after you don't need much for tackle...I've been going out for trout with just a tiny jig and a chunk of bait and it works just fine.

A 5 gallon pail is great for putting all your little odds and ends in - ice scoop, rod holders etc. and doubles as a seat.

This is literally what I went out with on Wednesday - two little ice rods with a 1/32 oz jig on each, two rod holders, 6" hand auger, and my pail. No mess no fuss

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM

I have an older 8" auger you can have for free but it does need new blades.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Watch for berkleys ice combo. I picked a pack up last year and it includes 2 rods and 2 reels. Nothing amazing but for $40 it was a great way to have a couple more setups around. One rod it UL, one is ML.

Also, I have to agree about gas augers. I started with a hand auger and didn't mind it while the ice was under 6", but once it was over the 6" mark it gets tiresome manually drilling your holes . If your a sit and fish guy drilling 2 holes by hand once a day isn't so bad, but I like to drill lots and jig through and big section of holes.

-John
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Lightbulb Poor man's tip-up

Try this home made pike stick. Get a piece of 40mm (1.5") wooden dowel and cut it to 50cm (18") length. Paint one side a bright red and the other side white. That is one side, not one end. Or paint it like a barber pole, with stripes.

Near the centre, drill a small hole and thread your line through. Tie your line securely then wind it around the stick. Use Dacron braid, black is more often the one available at any tackle store. 30m (100') is plenty.

Attach a snap/swivel, or connect an invisible 25 lb fluro lead with a blood knot then connect a snap swivel, with a palomar knot. Clip on a bait rig (not a live-bait or "sucker rig" with the sliding treble) and you are set.

After drilling your hole made a couple of rests, one on either side of the hole, with snow. It won't take long to freeze into a fish stick holder. Drop your bait into the hole and let it sink to the desired depth. Set the stick onto the little bridges you made from slush and wait.

Like a tip up, the line will run off the "spool" as the pike swims away with the bait. Unlike a tip-up, you can see the spool turning so you know when the pike has stopped to reposition the snack he just picked up. Also, there are no false alarms.

It is well known that more often than not, a pike will grab the smelt broadside and swim away. After a time it will stop, let go of the smelt and quickly re-take the bait, head on. Wait a second, then grab the stick, set the hook and start pulling. Now you retrieve line, hand over hand that you do both with both a commercially avaliable tip up or this home made rig.

The important thing is the pike must not feel any resistance when it swims away with lunch. It will stop. The spinning dowel will make a slight noise that you can hear as you watch the line playing out.

You could try power jigging a blade bait (cicada or similar) in a nearby hole. The heavy vibrations will bring predators into the area to investigate, so do it a few times then move on, or go back to your other hole and twitch a spoon or jig.

Free