Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Cool How thin is too thin?

With all the talk of first ice predictions and first ice trips, and that one crazy guy who's already been out..., the ice auger discussion..... its obvious EVERYONE is itching for hardwater....myself included.
Now here's the question,

How thin is too thin as far as ice for fishing? I know some people go out on 2-2.5in, some on 3-4, 5-6, and so on.

Personally, i'd rather play it safe and wait for 5-6in but Im curious what other people are going out on?

I know the Canadian Lifesaving Society says a minimum of 4inches before X-country skiing, icefishing or any ice activity.

Post em up, Whats the thinnest you will go out on? and what precautions do you take to make sure you get home safe. Ice picks? Floater suit? PFD under your jacket?

Play it safe out there guys!
'frenzy
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM

honestly, 2 inches of good ice is what I feel safe with. anything less is spooky. Been playing on ice ever since I was a kid and that is what I feel confident with.

......and yes, I am "that crazy guy"
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM

they say.

2" or less - STAY OFF
4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot
5" - Snowmobile or ATV
8" - 12" - Car or small pickup
12" - 15" - Medium truck

lots of great info regarding ice safety on this american dnr site out of minnesota.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

Dace
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
they say.

2" or less - STAY OFF
5" - Snowmobile or ATV
12" - 15" - Medium truck

lots of great info regarding ice safety on this american dnr site out of minnesota.

Dace
This seems like a smart chart to go by for those who want to play it safe. good post.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 PM

No less than 3" for foot.

at least 6-7 for ATV/Sled, I like a foot at least before I put my truck on. Would hate to make a claim for being stupid.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
they say.

2" or less - STAY OFF
5" - Snowmobile or ATV
12" - 15" - Medium truck

Dace
I would never drive any vehicle ( non ATV ) on ten inches of ice - just too risky. For me, anyway.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 PM

I broke through the ice once moose hunting was tracking a moose as it crossed a river....he made it I didn't....my Dad had to haul my azz out of the flowing waters.....by the time I hit the truck good old hypothermia was just starting....not fun.

LC
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM

In my younger years I remember the outdoor magazines would preach you had to have 2" for walking 3" for a snowmobile and 4" of hard ice for a vehicle. I always felt that was to little for a vehicle so I would drill a hole and if my hand could not span the ice, thumb to middle finger I was good to go. Just measured it 7.5". I haven't ice fished for years, but my gosh that looks skimpy, I don't think I would get on in a vehicle now unless it was 12 to 16 ins. I still remember years ago duck hunting, a guy was on Sauder with mess of whites so I went over to talk to him. After a few minutes of conversation he asked if I would mind backing up a bit, I gave him a puzzled look and he replied we're sinking. I looked down and we were indeed sinking, about an in. of water over about 1 1/2" of ice. Made excellent time back to shore.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
honestly, 2 inches of good ice is what I feel safe with. anything less is spooky. Been playing on ice ever since I was a kid and that is what I feel confident with.

......and yes, I am "that crazy guy"
"that crazy guy" is fine, he catches more fish than those of us who are less crazy.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Bruce Lamb, the old bush pilot from BC, wrote an excellent story this thread reminds me of. It's in his book, "Outposts and Bushplanes".

His plane was taking off and it broke through the ice, in the frozen northern BC. Help didn't come, because the brother wasn't listening when he told him how long the trip would take (this was before electronics pretty much). So the two men rigged a giant tripod and hoisted the plane out with a cable winch system they figured out by finding old logging equipment. They fixed a ski and replaced it with a shovel. The plane was in bad shape but they made 'er home. Great book.

What about slushy ice? The lake on my trapline had over 16 inches, but it was slushy on top. What does that mean for safety?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Gone Hunting

2 inches will support one person, most of the time, to be safe you need 4 or more.

remember, not all ice is the same. White ice has only half the strength of blue ice.

Oh! And river ice is especially dangerous. It is not uncommon to have six inches of ice in one place and less then an inch one foot away. Even in mid winter with two or more feet of ice where you check, you could find very thin ice just feet away.

The same is true on beaver ponds, especially close to the Lodge or dam.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Lake ice also has alot of suprises...dependent on currents, overflows, and bottom gas releases...in other words if you are on a new lake....use alot of caution especially if you are blazing trails....drill alot of holes, take notice of the surface snow or ice color, and be prepared to get wet. If you plan to go under, no problems....if you don't....then you might be one of the posts we are going to start seeing in the next couple of weeks. I'll admit I am one of the guys that is usually out there blazing trails befor others...I walk ahead with my auger and punch alot of holes as i go with a buddy draging the sled behind, and the gear and plan for if I suddenly dissapear....hasn't happened yet, since I was 16 and I was unprepared...not fun..anyway ask befor you head out, share info especially on tricky lakes like devils which has that nice central current with leaves thin central ice even with 12-14" on the sides. If you do find yourself taking the plunge...know that it is normal to not to be able to breath, move, think or pretty much anything. Just try to fight the impulse to struggle. hang on to the edge until your beathing starts to regulate (about 2 minutes...a loooong 2 minutes) then figure out a plan to get out. Most people drown beacuse they continue to struggle, their mussles cramp up, and they drown. Personally for me on clear solid ice, 2" to walk (comfortably), 12" to drive.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Last year I was out on a little over 2" of clear ice, though I found out after the fact that I was right near a spring which could have been bad news. This was also on a lake where I was only fishing over 3-4 feet of water and fairly near shore, so even if I did take a dive I'd be okay, though not terribly happy.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Just my two cents, but we all have to remember that we live in Alberta. The province known for its cold winters. The small difference between questionable ice and safe ice if likely a 7 day cycle (assuming steady weather below zero). Play it safe guys!!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
In my younger years I remember the outdoor magazines would preach you had to have 2" for walking 3" for a snowmobile and 4" of hard ice for a vehicle. I always felt that was to little for a vehicle so I would drill a hole and if my hand could not span the ice, thumb to middle finger I was good to go. Just measured it 7.5". I haven't ice fished for years, but my gosh that looks skimpy, I don't think I would get on in a vehicle now unless it was 12 to 16 ins. I still remember years ago duck hunting, a guy was on Sauder with mess of whites so I went over to talk to him. After a few minutes of conversation he asked if I would mind backing up a bit, I gave him a puzzled look and he replied we're sinking. I looked down and we were indeed sinking, about an in. of water over about 1 1/2" of ice. Made excellent time back to shore.
what magazine said its good for vehicles to drive on 4 inches of ice? they need a slap!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

like keg was saying the type of ice has a ton to do with safety, that being said I typically wait for a good 4 inches of blue/black ice, if the ice is of shoddy color (white, milky) I wait for a little more
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

Last winter begining of dec. there was a solid 8 inches I drilled 2 holes then went to drill a Half hole for the auger with hardly and rpm on the auger it broke through there was less than 2" of ice it was about a 5'x3' patch if i would have drilled my first hole there I would have been crawling back to shore. water was about 20' deep
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Ill be VERY careful and head out on 2-3 inches... Ice picks on me, and I make sure to stay close to shore.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Technically there is no such thing as safe ice; a vehicle can still find a place to fall through on a lake with 3ft of ice! I will not walk out on anything less than 4" of good ice cause depending on how windy or snowy it was at the lake the week it froze over, 4" in one area can turn into 2" in a matter of feet. My dad taught me a good rule of thumb when I was a kid; he told me to take whatever the thickness appears to be then divide by two. The resulting number is what you should go by to determine the amount of weight/activity you should be partaking in on that particular sheet of ice as a safety margin.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
i own that magazine on the western sportsman!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
they say.

2" or less - STAY OFF
5" - Snowmobile or ATV
12" - 15" - Medium truck

Dace
caveat...

clear ice

no springs or creeks coming in or going out near by

no one else is beside you

parking two cars side by side or two people side by side...not safe when you are in the gray zone of ice thickness.

I was out on mink lake once with 2 inches clear ice. cool walking around chasing perch...they were too spooked however to bite that day. When I say the first school...my buddy came sliding over...within about 6 feet of me a bunch of spider cracks formed under my feet. Freaky. Then we say two quads crash through the ice along the shore. Last time I ever went out of 2 inches. If you fall in you can't pull yourself out...you have to break all the ice between you and shore...you tire out and die.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM

last year i tied off a 100' rope off to a boulder to drill a test hole at bears paw res. Made me feel a whole lot less nervous.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Two other things I forgot to add.

The deeper the snow, the thinner the thin ice will be.

And the later in the winter, the more dangerous any given ice thickness will be, due to cracking, honeycomb buildup, gas buildup, increasing snow insulation effect, increasing snow load and other factors.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
No less than 3" for foot.

at least 6-7 for ATV/Sled, I like a foot at least before I put my truck on. Would hate to make a claim for being stupid.
I use the 4' 6" and 12" rule.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 AM

my dad always said its never to thin unless ya fall in.....lol......
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
my dad always said its never to thin unless ya fall in.....lol......
Fair enough!

Great tips guys, seems like 4-6in is the way to go on foot.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Default !!!

ALL RELATIVE!!!!!!!!
1st day out last year we were on 1.5" with zero problems (WAS spooky tho..)
and on the other side of the coin, my buddy broke through right beside me walking on 10" of ice (must hit a gas pocket or something...scared the *%#^&%$ outta me!!)
my governing rule, gauge the risk, play safe, don't do stupid things, and be prepared if things do go wrong (pack extra clothes, etc.).
have a great 1st trip everyone!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

I like to have about 6" of good ice if I'm going out over deeper water, like more than 3'-4'. This is for walking out. Last year at the start of the season we were out on 1.5"-2" of good hard ice, over 3' of water or less. Shore was only 15' away, the truck was less than 50 yrds away. Definitely had the ice picks along for the first few outings...
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Was out today west of Edmonton. Ice was 2-3 inches. Was a little creeped out at first but it was pretty cool. Ice was so clear and solid. We fished in 3-5 FOW with no one getting wet. Only got 2 out of the ice a brookie and a rainbow. Missed another dozen or so.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM

which lake?