Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

OK class , we will now argue about ice safety like we do every year
Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Some good posts and can learn from them all.

It seems people will push the envelope until they or someone they knows falls through and then they become a hwole lot mor cautious.

I was swept under ice in a river while crossing with a snowmobile (current took me when snowmobile got stuck with skimmer and got off to push and got swept away by current between snowmobile and the skimmer. The water was only up to my kness but I remember how it felt to be swept under ice and thinking this was going to be the end when I saw a spot where ice ended and jammed my arms through the snow. My dad saw my arms and yanked me out and rolled me in snow to soak the water out and then we took off for the cabin to get me warrmed back up...

Years later working forestry i was crossing the Waskahigan River at -35 in a nice wide spot and using a stick to sound the ice but hit a snow covered patch right by shore (Thought it was shore) and got wet to my waist. I had 4k to go back to the ATV and another 16k on ATV to get to truck. I built a fire and radioed for help and my buddy came to help me.

It is not just the falling through ice that can be dangerous but the instant hypothermia after that that often is worst danger.

Going into water near 0 degrees is an awful shock to the body and that shock alone can kill.

I have had a few scares and I got one last year. We went on a lake well after christmas after drilling some test holes (24" of ice) and we drove on and found a good fishing spot we had used in past years and then as we were fishing we decided to wale around and saw a ridge in snow and we wandered over to take a look. As we got closer we realised it was a new spring and there was open water nearby.

After this I am now a coward when it comes to ice It look at it like a minefield... I am never the first one anymore...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM

I swam from the ice on purpose few times before, not regularly as some people do in my home town, but just to try it. It is different, but it shouldn't kill an average healthy person.
Getting on the ice clothed is different and I realize that. So I may push the envelope if I am unlucky with the weather, but will be taking precautions and won't go deep or far. Common sense rules.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Well I've taken a few plunges into the drink over the years.... The worst one was prob when I went threw in a beaver run trying to skirt the outside of kinky lake... Up to my neck in black putrid mud that's smelled like bottled farts.. Not only was I freezing cold but I had to drive back to Edmonton... The stink got into my car n stayed there till spring... I try my luck on iffy ice every year and for the most part have a really good time. The way I see it is fishing is my heroin and like any good addict your bound to run into trouble now and again... And really if I should really screw up n slip under the ice forever... What a glorious way to go! Doing what i like best in life.

I'd just like to see the look on the faces of those that come to recover my body.. They would be like " is that guy smiling?"

When in doubt use a rope n tie one end to shore and the other around your waist.... Just make sure to have the knot at your front

Good luck out there
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Rant warning....

Quote:
And really if I should really screw up n slip under the ice forever... What a glorious way to go! Doing what i like best in life.
I am a grouch today and these statements pi$$ me off...

What you think trying to breath water is fun!?

Someone goes through ice on snowmoboile... or in an avalanche and someone says well at least he went the way he wanted to go....and I always think what he liked suffocating? I always think what a stupid statement....

Read the book "Perfect Storm" as there is a very descriptive realistic graphic portrayal of what it is like to drown... and I can guantee you you will look at it far different.

When my time comes I can think of better ways.... Like being shot by a jealous husband when I am 100. Then they can say I was doing what I love.... Of course the reilty is I sure don;t enjoy being shot....so i really wouldn't die doing what I love...

And trust me from doing body recoveries I have never seen a peaceful face on a drowning/suffocation victim...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM

You guys can pick and choose of course, but I am not planning on going in any of the described ways any time soon I'd rather be fishing
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Ah yes. Another argument thread.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Hahaha yes am sure a guy like you will live forever! And for the record lighten up man it's just life... Am pretty sure you won't get out of it alive! But thanks for going all Nazi serious on my post... Tell hitler I said hey! Don't be a hater man... No need for that! That's why I barely post here anymore... Lighten up and don't reply to forums when your cranky or drunk
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM

I don't mind when stupid people weed themselves out of the gene pool just when they take someone else with them by action or advice...

Hey I am cranky when it comes to that particular statement because I feel it is such a stupid statement...Dying unnecessarily in an easily preventable way is never cool!... Especially on thise who are left behiind...

Yes I can lighten up!....and I do plan on having fun since I am not getting out of this alive anyways...

now for the lightening up... If you want to know ice is safe you just as Billycap to go first in his vehicle and stay 100 yards back.... i had a great friend like this if we were wondering if something was possible we would just dare him, and if he made it we knew we had a chance... if not well then we got to practice our emergency respone techniques...

Hey can you let me know where the thin spots on devil's lake are this winter?!

Thanks!...

Last edited by nekred; 11-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
Hahaha yes am sure a guy like you will live forever! And for the record lighten up man it's just life... Am pretty sure you won't get out of it alive! But thanks for going all Nazi serious on my post... Tell hitler I said hey! Don't be a hater man... No need for that! That's why I barely post here anymore... Lighten up and don't reply to forums when your cranky or drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I don't mind when stupid people weed themselves out of the gene pool just when they take someone else with them by action or advice...

Hey I am cranky when it comes to that particular statement because I feel it is such a stupid statement...

Yes I can lighten up!....
Hey friends,
I'm not trying to butt into your conversation, but can you take this discussion to PM so this legitimate thread won't be closed.
Thanks!
And regardless on the thickness of ice you're fishing on,
tight lines and good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Hahaha I agree totally... To each their own!
Was not my intention to wreak a perfectly good thread
I read alot of things here I don't I agree with but I don't bash

Now on a less happy note we had a massive down pour of rain here this morning in valemount.... N water makes a couple inches of good ice turn into dog snot... Guess I will have to wait a few more days to try my luck again.. Just wondering if the rain made it all the way to Hinton... A couple real nice lil brookie lakes between here n there I wouldn't mind trying
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hahaha I agree totally... To each their own!
Was not my intention to wreak a perfectly good thread
I read alot of things here I don't I agree with but I don't bash

Now on a less happy note we had a massive down pour of rain here this morning in valemount.... N water makes a couple inches of good ice turn into dog snot... Guess I will have to wait a few more days to try my luck again.. Just wondering if the rain made it all the way to Hinton... A couple real nice lil brookie lakes between here n there I wouldn't mind trying
No problem! Same goes with me.

I think we are set back a couple of days at least, which is a shame because once ice hits 4inch, I'm out there haha!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm with the crazies. 2.5-3 inches of good ice and I'm willing.

You must be careful still. No guarantee the ice is of consistent thickness and strength. So when I go out.......

Dress light no parka. Instead wear a LIFE JACKET. I just go out with hand auger to do recon and have the ice picks handy. An air horn would be a good idea as well. If you went through the ice chances are the ice picks arnt going to do u a damn thing for getting out.

It's hunting season and it was supposed to hit 11 degrees here today and it didn't get below zero all last night. Stay off the lakes and do some hunting. Those that rush out there this weekend when we haven't even had a cold snap might b in for a surprise. Sure small lakes and bays might be walkable. And sure some guys may have already caught a few. I poked a stick through the ice on a dug out last night! I'll b staying home........dry.......and alive. Stay safe and good luck to those that go.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM

What is the airhorn for?

If you are stupid enough to fall through thin ice I certainly aint coming out there to help you....

Oh yeah it will be a warning like... hey the ice is thin over here stay away...for awhile anyways...then burpling then silence... and awhile later we will get to hear... well he died doing what he loved....

drowning while blowing an airhorn!

6" of good ice for me... for walking... 12" for vehicle of any kind I am now very cautious... You will find me following your tracks...

As much as I love fishing it just aint worth it to make my wife a widow, or my sons fatherless...

Last year I saw guys fishing in a pothole lake behind the barrier fence around an aerator... I wondered... why leave 12" ice for 4" ice 15 feet away? and 6feet from the edge...of open water... they did not catch more fish than me!...

PS. my humour is very sarcastic....
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Been playing lots of pond hockey already. Ice is 2-3''.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Just looked up on Russian sites what is considered safe there.
Single person minimum - 7cm (~2.75in) of clear ice. Must be a different diet...

Last edited by ak-71; 11-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
What is the airhorn for?

If you are stupid enough to fall through thin ice I certainly aint coming out there to help you....

Oh yeah it will be a warning like... hey the ice is thin over here stay away...for awhile anyways...then burpling then silence... and awhile later we will get to hear... well he died doing what he loved....

drowning while blowing an airhorn!

6" of good ice for me... for walking... 12" for vehicle of any kind I am now very cautious... You will find me following your tracks...

As much as I love fishing it just aint worth it to make my wife a widow, or my sons fatherless...

Last year I saw guys fishing in a pothole lake behind the barrier fence around an aerator... I wondered... why leave 12" ice for 4" ice 15 feet away? and 6feet from the edge...of open water... they did not catch more fish than me!...

PS. my humour is very sarcastic....

I understand where your coming from, but there's no need to bash people. Take a chill pill.... everyones opinion is different and, really, nobody is "right".

If you want 6" before you go on the ice, good for you. But its not nessecary to tell other people there stupid for going on thinner.. everyone knows the risks and if its worth it for them, then live with it.

You've made your opinions very clear on this thread...so now leave and dont start/feed the flamewar.

'frenzy
Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Nekred,

I think youve made your point!! More people die in motorcycle accidents then people falling through thin ice! I'm not about to go out and bash on motorcyclists? 2-4-6" whatever your call on what you feel is safe.... For YOU! Not me, I'll risk it thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

I brought this up last year,,, but has anyone skimmied a boat over ice into water or just onto the ice and semi-icefished from the boat? Kinda like those voyageur games,,, a pre-set long line pulley would get you back to shore if your cleats don't grip enough to push back.

As for bashing,,, seriously, it takes a long time to find idiots on the forums,, we may despise eachother and may not be as eloquent in our descriptions as some but most folk on here know the it's and but's of it all,,, except things like lake whites in ghost (cough),,,, anyhoo, most are seasoned in the seasons and know their limitations and the environment, IMHO

I'm heavy and not as sprite as I was in my youth and I fish with a guy 6 inches shorter, twice my age and about the same weight,,, 4" for good clear ice and 6" if we're puzzled by how it looks,, patches, snow, crusting, bubbly/aerated ice, etc

Last edited by Gust; 11-10-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Ah yes. Another argument thread.
is not

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
is not
Looks like I was mistaken, hey?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I brought this up last year,,, but has anyone skimmied a boat over ice into water or just onto the ice and semi-icefished from the boat? Kinda like those voyageur games,,, a pre-set long line pulley would get you back to shore if your cleats don't grip enough to push back.
bet you could slide a long ways out on a pontoon, and tie a rope to shore, then it would be easy to pull yourself back in with the rope.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
bet you could slide a long ways out on a pontoon, and tie a rope to shore, then it would be easy to pull yourself back in with the rope.
Rope....PFFF. yeah right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN9rW__S3Gk

Icefishing transport at its best...

Strap that on your pontoon....zoom zoom zoom.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

As for bashing,,, seriously, it takes a long time to find idiots on the forums,, we may despise eachother and may not be as eloquent in our descriptions as some but most folk on here know the it's and but's of it all,,, except things like lake whites in ghost (cough),,,, anyhoo, most are seasoned in the seasons and know their limitations and the environment, IMHO

I'm heavy and not as sprite as I was in my youth and I fish with a guy 6 inches shorter, twice my age and about the same weight,,, 4" for good clear ice and 6" if we're puzzled by how it looks,, patches, snow, crusting, bubbly/aerated ice, etc
Getting to the open water is the hard part. To get back to shore is easy, just hit it at full throtle.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

Have not don' it in fall but do it in spring.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Well I've taken a few plunges into the drink over the years.... And really if I should really screw up n slip under the ice forever... What a glorious way to go! Doing what i like best in life.

I'd just like to see the look on the faces of those that come to recover my body.. They would be like " is that guy smiling?"

really? for someone who has taken a few plunges over the years you'd think you'd have some better insight to share. that statement is right bent. trapped under ice till you slip away buddy would not be glorious, and as mentioned you wouldn't be smiling. shear terror.

Quote:
I brought this up last year,,, but has anyone skimmied a boat over ice into water or just onto the ice and semi-icefished from the boat?

lots of times in the spring. row out in the 12' aluminum to the solid ice, hop out and punch holes. depending on the day wind and warm temperatures can really change things in a hurry. don't venture to far from the boat and be sure it doesn't find the open water with out you.

Dace
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Haha yes bent forsure! For the record I'm sure no matter how you die you will prob not be smiling.. No haha guys like you that make me laugh though... Thanks and have a real nice day!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Coal had about 2 " today. Tried my new 6" hand auger.
Looked pretty safe went out about 30'
I'll wait a week or two, hopefully it does not snow too much.