Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2020, 10:11 AM

Question Help- Price Check on re-roof of garage

Hi all.

I am looking to have my garage re-roofed in the Spring.

-single car detached garage

-currently TWO layers of shingles

-simple roof lay-out, two plastic vents

Wondering what might be a ball-park estimate for a contractor to remove and dispose of old roofing material, install new underlay, re-shingle with decent contractor grade?

The latest estimate of $3000 all-in, seems high in my opinion...But, I could be out of touch as I have not had any roofing done since two houses ago.

Thanks.

-Willy
Old 03-01-2020, 10:45 AM

I see your in the Hat
It seems high to me for a single garage.
I used to do my own roofing but with old age and bad back I now hire it out, The last guy I used was very good, Top Line Roofing, Id get at least 3 quotes
Old 03-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Default Re-roofing garage

There's a ton of "roofing calculators" available online. A single detached garage is really a straight forward project. Run your numbers through the calculator & it'll give you a very good idea as to what amount of supplies required. Then price out said supplies.

I re-roofed a small garage/large shed last year & the calculator was bang on in sorting out how many bundles, nails & supplies I needed. Considering I had never re-roofed before I was done in about 14 hours including clean up.

An efficient roofing team can probably have a single detached garage completed in 8-12 hours.

https://www.calculator.net/roofing-calculator.html
Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM

We did a 28x24 detached garage with a standard pitch roof, gable ends, with decent architectural shingles for around $1300 of materials including vents and flashing and 2 rows of ice water shield.

We were amateurs, so it took a weekend with 4 guys - call it a day and a half from stripping, a patch, and then re-install.

Maybe in that case $3000 makes sense - but yours is a single, so seems a little high.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We did a 28x24 detached garage with a standard pitch roof, gable ends, with decent architectural shingles for around $1300 of materials including vents and flashing and 2 rows of ice water shield.

We were amateurs, so it took a weekend with 4 guys - call it a day and a half from stripping, a patch, and then re-install.

Maybe in that case $3000 makes sense - but yours is a single, so seems a little high.
Taking the old shingles off and disposing of them can be costly. Figure there are 2 layers apparently, weighing 210 Lbs, per 100 squ. ft. per layer. Landfill, the only option , charges are based on weight. Adds up

Grizz
Old 03-01-2020, 04:01 PM

I don't do roofing myself but I do run my own construction company.

That quote is pretty good considering removal, disposal, new material supply and install assuming this is done by a registered and insured business.

Insurance
WCB
Employee contributions
Equipment wear and tear
Fuel
Disposal fees

There is very little profit left over here.

Consider material a fixed cost since you are paying it either way. So you are really only debating the remainder of that quote. Now determine what your personal hourly worth is. If your earn alot, are extremely busy and have no free time, you could be worth $100 an hour or more and taking 2? days to reroof your garage becomes an unreasonable setback. If you work 7 or 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, no other commitments and all your other time is free and you often find yourself bored, then your hourly worth is lower and it may be worth while to tackle it yourself.

I am capable of building a house from concept to turn key yet every time I take on a personal project I regret it because of the lost time. Yet years ago I could never have fathomed paying someone to do anything for me. All depends on where you are at in life.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 PM

The only estimate that matters is a quote from a company willing and able to do the job, with good references.
Get more quotes.
Random comments from the internet are not quotes.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
I don't do roofing myself but I do run my own construction company.

That quote is pretty good considering removal, disposal, new material supply and install assuming this is done by a registered and insured business.

Insurance

WCB

Employee contributions

Equipment wear and tear

Fuel

Disposal fees

There is very little profit left over here.

Consider material a fixed cost since you are paying it either way. So you are really only debating the remainder of that quote. Now determine what your personal hourly worth is. If your earn alot, are extremely busy and have no free time, you could be worth $100 an hour or more and taking 2? days to reroof your garage becomes an unreasonable setback. If you work 7 or 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, no other commitments and all your other time is free and you often find yourself bored, then your hourly worth is lower and it may be worth while to tackle it yourself.

I am capable of building a house from concept to turn key yet every time I take on a personal project I regret it because of the lost time. Yet years ago I could never have fathomed paying someone to do anything for me. All depends on where you are at in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Taking the old shingles off and disposing of them can be costly. Figure there are 2 layers apparently, weighing 210 Lbs, per 100 squ. ft. per layer. Landfill, the only option , charges are based on weight. Adds up

Grizz
I can ask what he paid for the dump bin and the haul away - maybe $500 would be my guess??? The can was not even 1/4 full (but I'm sure it was heavy). I dunno. I guess that definitely adds to the cost.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:35 PM

If you want cheap be prepared to do it yourself

Hiring someone to do it 3k is not a crazy price or a smoking deal. Quality of the shingles used can make a difference in cost too so pay attention to the materials used when you get a quote.

Calculating what it would cost to do it yourself and trying to convert what you should pay a contractor does not work. They have the expense of operating a business and paying a crew that will be added to the cost. If you are hiring someone you are paying for the convenience of not have to do the job yourself.

Shop around, get references, ask questions about materials used and time frame. Often the cheap contractor is cheap for a reason
Old 03-02-2020, 07:26 AM
Banned

Default Cambria asphalt

I re-shingled my double garage For $650.00 in materials, $100.00 for disposal and a borrowed set of scaffolding last summer. Alone in about 1 week. Not my first roofing job but it is my last.

The previous year I paid a contractor to shingle my 1200 s.f. house for $3200.00. He did it alone in 2 days with a hammer and he paid nothing to an outfit that recycles the old materials.

10 years ago my 84 year old father did his own garage alone but that worked out to be a mistake. It was a little much for an old guy but he did get half of it done before I showed up with a nail gun and finished the back side.

Free
Old 03-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Default What's your time worth?

Even if you have the tools & know-how you need to put value on the time you are spending.

When we did the house years ago, I got several quotes (6 IIRC) and they had a wide spread. I also priced out materials, rentals etc to do it myself. From the guy we hired, his quote was about $1500 more than the materials for my DIY.

Given it would take me a week if all went well, I decided to hire it out.

Shop around, you might be surprised at the costs. Be prepared to hang around the jobsite a bit to check up on their quality, workmanship etc.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Had a 2500 sq ft bungalow and large 3 car attached garage, about 1500 sq ft, done 7 years ago in Calgary, before the big bust. It took the 8 man crew one day to strip and rel-lay 40 year fiberglass shingles. Cost was $12,000. Given the economy today I would think one could at least match that price if not beat it by quite a bit. Three grand for a single garage sounds high, I would get a bunch more quotes. When we had ours done the quotes range from $11,000 to $31,000, all from long time established roofing contractors.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:59 AM

One issue not covered is what is the sheeting under the shingles. If it is 3/8" (common shortcut in the day), the old shingles MUST be removed and all the sheeting may well have to be replaced with 1/2". If it is 1/2", old shingles should still be replaced, there may be some patching to do, and then the new shingles installed. Check this to be sure you have it covered.

Vic
Old 03-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Banned

Shop around. Spring is a great time to find good deal on roofing. I did a few roofing projects on my properties in few years. To my opinion, 1 car garage should be around 2K all included. If you can do it yourself - it is easy weekend project for 2 guys, with materials cost around 1K.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:17 AM

Need to know:

Price per bundle__________

Pitch of roof_____________

Type of shingles__________