Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Default need help catching a brown

i live in cochrane, nd have the bow river 2min away from my house and dog pound creek not to far away. i just got in to fishing in the last 2-3 weeks. i would love to catch my first brown trout, any advise you could throw my way would be grate. i just dont know where to go or what to use. and i use a spin real.

thanks for the help
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Use a F9 black and silver rapala, with a 3 foot mono-leader (10-20lb).

Take off the front hook and put the split ring on the lures nose. Attach a small barrel swivel to the ring and then attach your leader.

Cast this into any water deep enough that it doesnt touch bottom.

Retrieve moderately slowly. Cast out and let the lure swing downstream and across as you retrieve.

When you debarb your hooks, bend the tip of the hook inwards slightly. Just enough that the point is not parallel to the shaft.

If you know of some really deep spots, try them for the hour before dark (not sunset, but dark) and fish until you can't see.

Big browns come out at night.

Most of the browns in that area are 15" but there are some in the 19"+ range.

Season is closed there in a week!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM

I caught my 2 brown-ies in a lake. I got pretty lucky, their really stubborn to catch !

Last edited by tara_13; 08-26-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM

i will give this a try thanks for the help. it sucks that it closes in a week hop i can get one!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockend View Post
i will give this a try thanks for the help. it sucks that it closes in a week hop i can get one!
A pair of waders or a sunny day and old sneakers would help get closer to some the deeper water.

There's lots of smaller trout below the Ghost Dam where accessible. Can't recall any browns though. Be aware of trespassing.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Smile cranking on the bow

i personaly use cd9 rapalas. i like the bosd brand but are hard to find, so i will use silver.hot mustard or if need be the brown rainbow trout.

i take my split ring off the rapala and use a rapala knot .

i leave my front treble on as i have had trout hit my cranks sideways lots off times.

if im using braided line i add 3 feet off fluorocarbon 12 lb to my main line.

if im using mono i use 8 lb xt trilene and then i add 3 ft off 12 lb fluorocarbon
reason for fluorocarbon line is for rocks.and good knots to my cranks and for knicks,,its good strong leader material.rivers can be hard on line.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/1352/skills/...e-fishing-knot

when i tie my 2 lines together i use this uni knot or you can use a barrel swivel your choice .

i also cast upstream on a 45 degree angle but instead off reeling in slow or fast i let my crank hit the water ,wait a second ,than i do the twitch move meaning i keep my reel at my pocket height and use my wrist not my arm to twitch my crankbaits,and keep your rod tip up so your not snaging up.

1 twitch.2 twitch.3 twitch..than pause,do it again 1,2,3 pause than i reel the rest off my line at a slow retrieve .

i look for deep holes or near the banks were you see grass or anything hanging over the water.fast water to slow water or reverse. learn the water and it will help you out alot as it did for me and walk find your spots and you will find lots. i have caught alot off browns this year but my biggest ones were right at the banks as soon as i laid that crank in there and maybe was on my second twitch they nailed me and hardGetAttachment.jpg there are tons off these browns in the bow.

a good web page to look at is my buddy mikes page he is a crankbait fisherman on the bow and i am sure he is the only crankbait guide on the bow too he fishes alot off rivers and is very sucessful go to his site and read www.bowriverblog.com i did a 7 hr float with him and incredible fishing. i also learn alot by watching the fly fisherman in there boats,were they stop. were the wade. theres a reason they are there i learn alot from my eyes..

good fishing to you and good luck i hope i helped you out in my way,,,,,,,
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM

just be wary that the browns are spawing right now and should be left alone to do their thing. They aren't going to be in the typical "holes" right now so that could also be why you aren't finding browns. (except immature fish)

Pulling a brown off it's redd can be very deterimental to the fishes reproductive process, a good fight can cause them to abandon spawning this season all together. Please also be very aware of where you are wading as you can seriously damamge/kill eggs in a redd if you tread on it.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 PM

thanks for all the advice, it just sucks that i wont get a chance to use it. only to days left before the river closes and i am stuck working.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM

lock,

the big boys come out after dark, go any time of the day, they bite 24/7 if you happen to catch the eye of the big one