Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Default bad consequences to feeding deer

http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/1...dents/31981324
Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Wow. That story is shocking and saddening. It's so typical of human efforts to "help" nature and end up causing harm instead.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 PM

Something sounds not quite right with that. The foods they mentioned shouldn't have had that kind of effect IMO. I can't see feeding deer pellets, oats, hay, etc. having a bad consequence. I've done it and seen no such thing. Many of the same deer returned yearly, healthy with healthy fawns.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 PM

I know a guy feeding deer with grain for over 30 years, but not aware of bad results.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 AM

If your feeding the deer all winter long, great. If it's late February and you decide you wanna start feeding the deer, bad. By feeding the deer those foods all winter the deer have no adjustment to make. By starting late in the winter, after eating browse all winter, kind of shocks the system. If your gonna feed deer during the winter, do it all winter, don't start halfway through or near the end of winter.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If your feeding the deer all winter long, great. If it's late February and you decide you wanna start feeding the deer, bad. By feeding the deer those foods all winter the deer have no adjustment to make. By starting late in the winter, after eating browse all winter, kind of shocks the system. If your gonna feed deer during the winter, do it all winter, don't start halfway through or near the end of winter.
Good advise, and follow through till spring when it starts to green up.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I feed the birds and the deer show up constantly to clean up all the seeds on the ground, last night at sunset we had 8 feeding off the back deck and down a small trail, once the bugs show up I stop feeding the birds and the deer move on. No bad results or shock to their system etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM

The most important time of the year to feed deer is February through to the start of may when things are green. Deer have approximately 100 days of reserves built up going into winter. By this time of year pretty much all of their fat reserves are gone and now is the important time to be getting feed into them.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
The most important time of the year to feed deer is February through to the start of may when things are green. Deer have approximately 100 days of reserves built up going into winter. By this time of year pretty much all of their fat reserves are gone and now is the important time to be getting feed into them.
Here is some information about feeding deer.

http://www.novascotia.ca/natr/wildli.../Feed-deer.asp

While I agree with you about the deer having used up most of there fat reserves, starting to feed deer in February causes more harm then good unless it is done correctly.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Yes I agree that it needs to be done properly. Most people aren't just going to start feeding now. People who feed deer usually do so all winter. Just don't stop now because grass is starting to poke out in a lot of places is all im saying. You also have to realize deer dieing from a sudden change in diet like what happened here is far more likely to happen in forested areas and not so much in the farmland/forest fringe areas because the farmland/forest fringe deer continually feed in fields on grains all winter.

Last edited by Esox; 03-27-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:24 AM

If you live in Sundre, likely to find you're feeding a cougar as well.

Grizz
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Something sounds not quite right with that. The foods they mentioned shouldn't have had that kind of effect IMO. I can't see feeding deer pellets, oats, hay, etc. having a bad consequence. I've done it and seen no such thing. Many of the same deer returned yearly, healthy with healthy fawns.
Could have been that someone in South Hampton considered these deer a nuisance and laced the feed with something? I hate to think that but yeah, it seems strange that corn and pellets killed that many animals in such a short time span.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Could have been that someone in South Hampton considered these deer a nuisance and laced the feed with something? I hate to think that but yeah, it seems strange that corn and pellets killed that many animals in such a short time span.
It's not strange if the deer never feeded on the pellets and corn before and all of the sudden gorged them selves. Shocking there system will kill them.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

Been feeding deer for years with Rolled Oats and Molasses a standard Horse feed. I start in November and stop in April. Never thought that it would be bad for them!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Been feeding deer for years with Rolled Oats and Molasses a standard Horse feed. I start in November and stop in April. Never thought that it would be bad for them!
It's not bad for them if you started feeding in November...
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
It's not strange if the deer never feeded on the pellets and corn before and all of the sudden gorged them selves. Shocking there system will kill them.
Correct.....

Quote:
Your supplement feed program schedule is about perfect for Alberta weather.. Minerals will be next step in April...

Quote:
It's not bad for them if you started feeding in November...
Exactly, and carry forward to green up in the spring.........

Supplement feeding is an extremely time consuming and expensive way to assist our wildlife in the challenging times they endure in our climate. Research and research more before you commit to these supplement programs as a high percentage of attempts actually fail miserably when not done properly.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Supplement feeding is an extremely time consuming and expensive way to assist our wildlife in the challenging times they endure in our climate. Research and research more before you commit to these supplement programs as a high percentage of attempts actually fail miserably when not done properly.[/QUOTE]

All I know is that lots show up. I always get a kick out of feeding them, typically put down about 1000 lbs. of feed a year and it's not cheap. But the way I look at it: If you take from nature you should give back!

My beloved father taught me that when he paid for my first DU membership.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Supplement feeding is an extremely time consuming and expensive way to assist our wildlife in the challenging times they endure in our climate. Research and research more before you commit to these supplement programs as a high percentage of attempts actually fail miserably when not done properly.

All I know is that lots show up. I always get a kick out of feeding them, typically put down about 1000 lbs. of feed a year and it's not cheap. But the way I look at it: If you take from nature you should give back!

My beloved father taught me that when he paid for my first DU membership. [/QUOTE]

Just cause you're feeding them doesn't mean they're getting the nutrition they need.

Grizz
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
well said
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Banned

Just cause you're feeding them doesn't mean they're getting the nutrition they need.

Grizz[/QUOTE]

Interesting isn't it? At least I know they survived the winters and did not starve to death.

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-27-2015 at 08:02 PM.