Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Default Yukon Hunter Hosts

Just got off the phone with Yukon environment officials. There is no special guiding licences for non residents hunting Grizzlies this year. The person that I talked to said that, And I quote, "there has been a big uproar in the guiding community for years about this and they got there way again." They also said that there will be more species added to the list next year ( possibly bison and caribou) So if you can do the hunter host in the Yukon this season jump on it before you have to go through a guide for everything.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Just checked the Yukon outfitters directory and 5 of the first 10 companies have contact phone numbers either from Alberta or BC.
So what is the benefit of keeping all these animals for the outfitters? (not directed at you 6tmile) It's not like the profit is staying in the Yukon. It burns me up thinking our Canadian wildlife is being pedalled to rich Americans and Europeans for the most part.

That's all I'm going to say about this but I would definitely sign any petition which opposes more wildlife being allocated to outfitters.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Sounds like the person you talked to has no idea what's going on. The area you could previously be special guided for nonresidents didn't even have an active outfitter until last year. The special guiding for grizzly closed due to an anti hunting biologist who is trying to close all grizzly bear hunting up here period. And bison yes is being opened 15/16 and caribou has been open for years already
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyChaser View Post
Sounds like the person you talked to has no idea what's going on. The area you could previously be special guided for nonresidents didn't even have an active outfitter until last year. The special guiding for grizzly closed due to an anti hunting biologist who is trying to close all grizzly bear hunting up here period. And bison yes is being opened 15/16 and caribou has been open for years already
I understand that. What they said was Bison and possibly caribou will be closed next year for hunter hosting. Atleast with hunter hosting all monies were kept within the Yukon.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM

What monies are those exactly? It's illegal to compensate a hunter host, or do you mean the 200$ the guy spends on food and gas? Pennies compared to the income 1 non resident going through an outfitter generates even if the outfitter is from out of province, and like I said they are opening bison next year not closing it
Old 03-26-2015, 04:37 PM

A resident moose license in the Yukon is like $5, the money and jobs outfitting brings in up there is huge. Planes, fuel, food, harvest royalties. The money brought in by non-residents far outweighs what the residents put into the hunting coffer. Over half the residents don't even need a license, and half of the ones that would don't hunt. Resident hunting pressure is almost non-existant.
Outfitting non-residents in the Yukon is huge for their economy.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyChaser View Post
What monies are those exactly? It's illegal to compensate a hunter host, or do you mean the 200$ the guy spends on food and gas? Pennies compared to the income 1 non resident going through an outfitter generates even if the outfitter is from out of province, and like I said they are opening bison next year not closing it
Yes we all know its illegal to compensate a hunter host. As per the 200$ a guy spends on food or gas, well I have must have done it wrong because anytime I bought gas, food and any lodging in Whitehorse or Dawson it was a lot more. As for the Bison hunt, the woman I talked to this morning must have had a mix up, because I asked her twice and she replied yes both times. Are you a guide or an outfitter WhiteyChaser? The reason I ask this is that this topic about hunter hosting seems to have struck a nerve with you.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
A resident moose license in the Yukon is like $5, the money and jobs outfitting brings in up there is huge. Planes, fuel, food, harvest royalties. The money brought in by non-residents far outweighs what the residents put into the hunting coffer. Over half the residents don't even need a license, and half of the ones that would don't hunt. Resident hunting pressure is almost non-existant.
Outfitting non-residents in the Yukon is huge for their economy.
When I was up there from 1984 until 2000, the main money for the territory was mining, tourism and government ,pretty much still is, outfitting definitely is contributing a bit to the coffers, but the majority of the money goes south.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
When I was up there from 1984 until 2000, the main money for the territory was mining, tourism and government ,pretty much still is, outfitting definitely is contributing a bit to the coffers, but the majority of the money goes south.
Totally agree!!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Outfitting falls under tourism and next to mining it would be the top industry in the territory.

Outfitting businesses generally run at about 40% profit on their gross revenue. Mine did and most of the people I know in the business are in the same boat. If one of the bigger outfits is doing 700-800K a year gross roughly 420-480K of that money is being spent in the Yukon economy. Maybe a little less for the guys keeping their horses in BC or Alberta over the winter. There are only a few of the outfits up there that are truly US owned and after paying their Canadian managers I would be surprised if 20-30% of that cash ends up south of the border.

I understand everybody hates outfitters and most have no idea how it all actually works but many many businesses rely on these outfits every season to keep them alive.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 PM

The hunter hosting certainly doesn't strike a chord, I've used that system before I moved here and use it now when eligible. I just know you have your facts wrong and am sick of whiners blaming the outfitters for all their problems, especially people who live in other provinces or territories complaining about an industry that affects hundreds of jobs and and like torkdiesel says many many companies up here. As a resident I am all for the YOA as they are our biggest, most organized lobby group for conservation in the territory. There are several outfits owned by out of territory guys, and I wouldn't mind if they changed those rules to resident outfitters only,but they are still a minority of the outfitters. Even so they leave a pile of money here. Again I'm not gonna argue over penny's, by letter of the law someone who is hunter hosted is only allow to share in the cost of the hunting trip. Tags cost next to nothing, And as there is no sheep hunting allowed on special guide licenses, there are very few fly in trips, they are probably gonna stay with their buddy, and all the moose float trips or caribou up the dempster are very inexpensive hunts.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 AM

These are the Yukon governments figures on what is brought in for the coffers.

Tourism is a sustainable, strategic industry for Yukon and a key economic driver contributing more than $200 million annually to the territory’s private sector revenues. The Yukon outfitting industry contributes more than $8.1 million in total revenues annually to the Yukon economy.

8.1 million is a lot of money to me, but in the big picture its not. If I have done my math right that equates to 4%. This does not take in mining and exploration and other ventures.