Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Nope don't even know where that is. Don't carry big knives or pepper spray just my rod and if I am in Grizz country my Mossy 88. When I fly fish for Atlantic salmon in the Gaspe, all I call are my dry flies and a bottle of good scotch.
No worries, I was just bein' a smart ass. Enjoy the outdoors in a way you feel is best. I spent a few seasons in the National Parks backcountry unarmed and around grizzlies almost every day. I learned to respect the bear not fear the bear.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 PM

Taco,

It is critical for us old guys to keep these bear stories going. Thins out the herd of fishermen.
I've only had a few encounters. A black sat down beside me and watched me cast on the Crow. He finally got disgusted and swam through the risers. Another hiked beside me for several yards along Shunda Creek. A grizzly kill on the North Ram caused some concern. Seven blacks on a lake with one coming right up to me to check me out. Guess he'd never seen aontoon boat.
Used to carry an Winchester 870 but found it spooked more fishermen than bears.
I'm 'way more concerned with the yahoos than bears.

Don
Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
No worries, I was just bein' a smart ass. Enjoy the outdoors in a way you feel is best. I spent a few seasons in the National Parks backcountry unarmed and around grizzlies almost every day. I learned to respect the bear not fear the bear.
No problem Taco. Having been attacked by a black bear and killing it a point blank range, I respect bears as well.

On the other hand if a bear does not respect me, it could be the last mistake he or she will ever make. The way I see it is that there are lots of bears, and only one of me.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 PM

Between climbing and fly fishing for the last 15years of my life, I've rarely encountered bears outside of a vehicle. A few blacks, a few grizz. I don't call them encounters if I see them a few hundred yards up a slope.
No aggressive bears; either curious or couldn't give a f***. Closest one was 2 yards.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Here is one that wouldn't leave me alone. Ripped up my quad seat too. But he paid for it. hehe
You must have had a smelly bum - hehe.
That's why he wouldn't leave you alone.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 AM

Smile

I've had the opportunity to see many, maybe too many bears while fishing and hunting.

I grew up in an outdoors family and every year we would go up to the Caribou in BC and go fishing for our holidays. I'm talking back in the 60's and 70's then once old enough I did my own fishing and hunting excursions that also included bears from time to time.

I can remember at Nimpo lake fishing with my brother. We were both about 13 - 14. I was driving the boat and my brother said he needed to take a pee. We reeled in and I slowly motor to a nice area for him to jump out. He was ready with the bow rope and we notice a movement in the bushes in front of us. Remember at this point we are motoring slowly to shore. 15 feet from shore we see a black bear poke his head out of the bushes. I'm not sure who ****e their pants first. The bear, my brother or me at the back of the boat. I hit reverse and we got out of there. I'm sure the bear was just as scared of us as we were of it.

I can remember one of our trips to Wellsgray Park watching a black bear walking through our campsite and seeing a guy with a camera chasing the bear down the road trying to get a good picture.

Many years later I was in Vancouver Island fishing near Campbell River with a buddy of mine. We had gone up the Quinsam River to fish. I had found a nice opening to the river. I waded into the river and maybe made 2 casts. My friend says to me in a very quiet voice that there was a bear. He said look up. I looked up and only about 30 feet away from me was a mother black bear and her cub. She was staring at me. I wasn't sure if she was ****ed at me for fishing her section of river. Or if she was ****ed at me because she wanted to cross there and I was in her way. Either way I left in a hurry. That same trip we probably saw a dozen bears along the river. You tend to get way too complacent after you see that many and they just wander off as your walking down the trail beside the river with half eaten salmon everywhere.

I have come across black bears up in Smithers while fishing the Bulkley River. They just kept their distance. Or maybe it was me keeping my distance.

I was hunting in northern BC and my buddy shot a moose and we were gutting it. No I was gutting it. He was supposed to be on bear duty. We had a small grizzly come over and try to take our moose. I say he was going to try to take our moose But he didn't last long with 2 nervous very young hunters with loaded rifles. He was quickly dispatched. We then had to take him into town and reported it to Fish and Wildlife. We actually had to take them back with us to the location and were both seperately questioned as to how it all took place. My version was that my buddy was ****tin his pants and the bear was coming at a walking pace directly at us. We sent a warning shot first to scare him off. He backed up about 100 feet after the first shot. Then he circled us for half an hour. Then he casually walked towards us. At 40 feet I had enough and it was at that point that I put 2 shots into it from my 30/06. That was another way too close moment. They said it was a 2 year old and was probably away from mother for the first time and looking for an easy meal.

Hiking around Upper K with a buddy of mine. We were coming back way too late. My buddy stopped and I bumped into his pack. I asked why he stopped. He just pointed. There 20 feet in front of us was a black bear, AKA Mr. Furry Face. I yelled and waved, my buddy yelled and waved. We had no bear spray. The bear took off and so did we in the opposite direction. Luckly he was going west and we were heading back east to the parking area.

Another scary incident we both had was up at Rainy Lake. We saw a grizzly across the lake. It started to head around the lake and towards us. We both high tailed it out of there. But kept looking back to see if he was following us down the trail.

There were too many more bear encounters to put them all down. I can say that I am glad to carry bear spray and an air horn these days.

I am so with Edmhunter. As you get older you tend to be a lot more caucious. No way do I want to end my time here by being mauled by a damn bear.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

I too have had several bear encounters, while baiting and while hunting and fishing.

One time I was fishing for a long weekend with a friend, we set up camp and since we arrived late we were getting everything ready to fish first thing in the morning. We got absolutely SFed and finished a 40 pounder of vodak, so we finally stumbled into the tent and left the cooler and other food stuff right outside the tent entrance. We had enought food for a three day outting, the usual stull, steaks, eggs, bacon, fruits, sunflower seed etc.

I forgot to bring my shotgun with us, so when I went to sleep I took the axe with me, not as much fun as my girlfriend, but it was a good security blanket for the night.

About three hours into my commatose sleep my buddy starts shaking me and says hey man I think there is a bear outside the tent, I said well ----!

I opened the tent zipper and there stood the biggest blackbear I have ever seen, this was a fall fishing trip and I guestimated his weight to be well over 800 lbs. This was in Manitoba and the bears tend to be pretty enormous there.

In any case since the bear was going at the food and since I only had an axe, I closed the zipper and said, well maybe there is enough food there that he wont bother us! Well after about an hour here comes the bear towards our ten and I could see that he was pressing his nose against the tent. Well I took the biggest swing that surpassed Babe Ruth's on his best day.

The bear woffed and left us alone. in the morninng we got out of the tent and every single bit of food was gone, there was not even one sunflower seed left so we packed up and went home. Ever since that trip I never go fishing without my shotgun, because if that bear wanted to get into our tent, it would not have been pretty!

In any case I used to hunt bears for fun. They are absolutely unpredicable and anyone that thinks that they are harmless, is taking a big risk.

I am not paranoid about bears and know that a bear will not be a problem and skedattle 99 % of the time. It's the 1% that concerns me lol

Here is a picture of me with one of the big Manitoba bear I killed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster Black Bear.jpg (72.1 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-01-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Do 30-40 high country fishin' trips and you'll soon get tired of draggin' that stupid friggin' shotgun over and through the damned deadfall and brush everywhere. It also helps to have a certain fatalistic attitude. I'd much rather be a participant in a bear incident doing something I love somewhere I love than be taken out by some hurryup SOB passin' on a double yellow on Highway 22, which has a greater chance of happenin' statistically.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Do 30-40 high country fishin' trips and you'll soon get tired of draggin' that stupid friggin' shotgun over and through the damned deadfall and brush everywhere. It also helps to have a certain fatalistic attitude. I'd much rather be a participant in a bear incident doing something I love somewhere I love than be taken out by some hurryup SOB passin' on a double yellow on Highway 22, which has a greater chance of happenin' statistically.
Well there is a simply way to avoid dragging a shotgun! I have a special holster that I wear on my back which runs down my spine, in fact I dont even really feel it. And if I ever have to pull it out, I have it in my hands in an aiming position in 1 second! I can even flycast with it on my back no problem.

Ever do any research on how people die when killed by a bear? NOT PRETTY and very painful. Personally I am not a fatalist, I am an optimist with a very strong survival instinct! lol

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-01-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 AM

I've had too scary incidents where a bear was too close for comfort, once when I was up in pickle jar lakes,my daughter and I just went to bed when about a half hour later a bear brushed him self against my tent I was using my arm as a pillow so my hand was pushing a little bit on the tent wall he walked over and was smelling my hand I could feel the heat from his breath meanwhile my dog( beagle) was passed out in my sleeping bag, thankfully he never woke up.the bear hung around for a bit then wounderd back in the bush.( long night).the second one was at gap lake where I actually caught one ( for a split second) on my back cast the bear stop ( because we both did not see one another) he stood up looked at me I said to my buddy get back in the boat,and we did, I then said to my buddy,wow you did not hesitate ( as we would sometimes play tricks) he says to me the look in your eyes and the tone of your voice told me something was wrong. That's a first for me.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Let's see , had more than one bear steal a salmon off my line . Buddy 10' in front of me stood on a black bear as we jumped over a dead fall. Had a grizz charge to 30' (chasing our dog ) on a hike into robison lake above kitimat. Spent countless days fishing beside both black bears and the very rare grizzly from the nass to the kemano river and any trip to the kitimat dump often came with a close encounter with a bear. Had bears to with in 30' so many times when I lived in the kootanies even the Jack russle got bored of chasing them . I respect bears to the fullest as a top predator , however ive never carried a fire arm out side of hunting . Be bear aware , be smarter than the bear and leave when in doubt . I leave them alone and they for the most part do like wise.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

The operative clause "I leave them alone and they for the most part do like wise."

Me too, but if one decides not to leave me alone, as I would leave him or her alone, then it's good bye Mr. or Mrs. bear without hesitation or reservation. Just saying
Old 02-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
The operative clause "I leave them alone and they for the most part do like wise."

Me too, but if one decides not to leave me alone, as I would leave him or her alone, then it's good bye Mr. or Mrs. bear without hesitation or reservation. Just saying
Not sure when I would feel the need to dispatch a bear as I understand 99% of the time a fire arm would never clear leather in time. I personally would consider it my failure not to recognize the danger well before the issue got dirty and ime you best get a tub of grease to pack around . I dont understand how any negitive encounter can arise if one leaves at first contact with a suspicious critter . Just sayin ...you know they can run at 40mph right.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Not sure when I would feel the need to dispatch a bear as I understand 99% of the time a fire arm would never clear leather in time. I personally would consider it my failure not to recognize the danger well before the issue got dirty and ime you best get a tub of grease to pack around . I dont understand how any negitive encounter can arise if one leaves at first contact with a suspicious critter . Just sayin ...you know they can run at 40mph right.
Exactly! Last time I was clocked, I was no where near that fast, but my 3" magnum Federal Express Hi Shock Slugs travel way faster then me! I have 4 loaded when I am out and about.

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-01-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 PM

I moved to AB in the late 90's and since then have had only one run in with a grizz while fishing. In 2010 my brother and I were fishing the east side of the Berland river off HWY 40 around opening day. When we first got to the area we pulled into the campsite on the west side of the hiway and saw a big grizz walking on the road. He bolted like a bat out of hell heading north. We went back to the east side and fished down stream after our encounter. We were getting skunked and after a while we decided to call it. On our way back up stream we ran into the grizz on a flood plain. We had some distance bewteen us but not enough. When the grizz first saw us he turned and bolted but put the breaks on after about 15yds. He turned reared up on his hind legs and then slowly made his way towards us. We had a bit of a mexican standoff on the flood plain. I took two pics before I put the camera away and pulled out the bear spray. My brother had one popper and one flare. The bear made his way around the one deadfall log in the right of the picture. We worked our way to the left towards the river. When he cleared the log my brother fired the one banger which spooked him a few more yards away from us. We moved close to the river and we shot the flare and that spooked him a little further away and we lost him in the bush. We managed to put the river between us and the bear and made it back to our vehicle. It was a little unnerving but knock on wood there has been no encouters since. I only carry bear spray and bear bangers with me. I try to stay away from venturing too much in the bush on my river ventures and have not had a run in since.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Banned

Not yet, but am always prepared. Have **** my pants a few times by calves in 5ft high willows on the castle... WOW.. never crossed a river so fast.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:41 PM

I carry spray and a defender. At times becomes a little encumbering but better feeling safe than sorry.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Banned

Ok then defenders would you fish unarmed .....like most . Or like my self for 10yrs on bear infested rivers and the rest of my time in the west set the dog on the bear on the porch and walk down to the lake to fish .
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Startled a cow moose and her calf on Stauffer once. She bolted at first and then 5 minutes later I heard a racket coming up to the stream and it was the cow moose starring me down with her ears pinned back looking like a crazy mom. I talked calmly to her while backing out slowly and called it a day. I discovered that that section of Stauffer didn't have a single tree that I could have hid behind if she wanted to trample me.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:34 PM

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...PyUOsPXH.e.eA-
I was fishing near hope B.C. a few years back and hiked out of a spot (15min hike) with one of the gentlemen who jumped into this boat to help save this poor guy. Seemed almost unbelievable but the guy was in his 60s and seemed pretty honest. I googled it later and story matched up word for word. He ended up traveling to Ottawa to receive a medal for this as well. Pretty crazy stuff.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 PM

I ran into one on my property late at night, feeding on apples under my deck. It ran off like a greyhound, Tell'in ya now! I wouldn't have outrun it.

Later in the week I ran the triple nickel through them apple trees. Decent firewood when dry.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Here is one I saw at Jarvis Creek that had to be trapped 2 weeks later as he was in campgrounds..i was fly fishing that day about 2 miles away.. if I am fishing or berry picking I carry both Bear spray and 30-30 180gr on me..i live in Bear country so I have had many encounters too .. most were glances some were nerve wrecking.. the Bear that bothers me the most is the male Black Bear.. he will stalk and kill you ..sad to say but just like at Liard hot springs in August 1997...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

here is a Sow and 3 cubs I had a close call with
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ng#post2607691

enjoy

David
Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 AM

I got surprised by a couple of bear breasted hippie chicks once, does that count???

I didn't feel the need to defend myself.......much.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 PM

A handful while out camping, hiking, nothing serious in my eyes, also more than a few while working when I was in the field, had to call the CLAWR bear guy once with a momma and two cubs on location not letting us get out of our trucks haha but the most memorable one when I was actually caught off guard...

Jumping Pound gas well completion for Shell, night shift, my Supervisor and Air Hand were at the gear, I came back to the shack to get something, notes or something the like, started walking back to the gear with my head down looking at the ground as to not trip in the mud etc. very common practice.

Got a feeling to look up and about 30 feet in front of me there was a dark shadow coming over the berm, so I stopped dead and looked to figure out what it was. Now the way the light towers were positioned my Supervisor and Air Hand could see me stopped but only my coverall stripes reflecting. They never saw the bear coming over the berm.

They looked at me for a second and saw I wasn't moving and continued to complete the task they were doing...well this very large black bear comes over the berm, looks at me while slowly sauntering across location. Never changing direction toward me nor changing speed but kept looking at me while walking. Across location and up over the other berm, never saw it again.

They asked me why I stopped and there eyes went pretty wide when I told them, they said they would have both run back to the shack haha!

Not near as exciting as some of the stories here but I will always remember that feeling standing there like "ok bear, wtf are we gonna do here..."

In fact most of the field locations I have been on with bears coming across location I have had that thought, as my only protection was usually a crescent wrench in my pocket or a nearby hammer or pipe wrench.

Carry bear spray on a thigh holster when hiking or camping. Outdoor Life Magazine (saw it in the hard copy) has a good article this month on this exact topic.

Good stories folks!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:53 PM

If you choose to carry your slug gun be willing to use it or its just extra weight. I wouldn't bother with it so I don't carry it. Simple as that. Some people are willing to risk it and personally I think a can of bear screw off is good enough if anything. After all he doesn't want to deal with me any more then I want to deal with him. No harm in bringing personal protection at all but its definitely something that varies between outdoors men and women. I just would rather deal with the animals in the wild then the animals in the court room...
Old 03-16-2015, 11:59 AM

I'm all for protecting myself while out in the bush, but time and time again, bear spray has been far more effective and easier to deploy than any firearm. It takes about 2 seconds for a bear to get from 30 yards away, to right on top of you. Realistically, what are the chances of anyone getting a well-placed slug off in that time...especially if your heart's beating at 180+!!!

Bearspray is light, easy and fast to deploy, and it sets up an instant 10 foot wall of pain between you and the bear. It also makes the bear have a 2nd thought about coming close to a person next time.

A person is injured in more than 50% of bear encounters involving a firearm. That number drops to less than 2% when bearspray is used.

To me, it's a no-brainer.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
I'm all for protecting myself while out in the bush, but time and time again, bear spray has been far more effective and easier to deploy than any firearm. It takes about 2 seconds for a bear to get from 30 yards away, to right on top of you. Realistically, what are the chances of anyone getting a well-placed slug off in that time...especially if your heart's beating at 180+!!!

Bearspray is light, easy and fast to deploy, and it sets up an instant 10 foot wall of pain between you and the bear. It also makes the bear have a 2nd thought about coming close to a person next time.

A person is injured in more than 50% of bear encounters involving a firearm. That number drops to less than 2% when bearspray is used.

To me, it's a no-brainer.
Completely agree with this. Don't have the research or stats in front of me or memorized, but I seem to recall what Ozzzzz said is pretty much bang on (no pun intended).

Every bear I've encountered (knock wood) has been while in a vehicle. And I've traipsed all over AB from Grande Prairie to the Crowsnest Pass for 28 years. Guess I'm lucky. Other fisherman in the woods carrying firearms makes me as nervous as much as the bears do.

I carry bear spray all the way.

Smitty
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Your govt wants people armed with spray not firearms...many of these study's are severely skewed in that direction. Take everything you read with a grain of salt and keep in mind the govt and politicians follow agendas.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 AM

I've kept a shotgun and slugs behind a door in a work-camp situation, but when fishing & hiking both inside Banff & Jasper park and outside the parks, I carry bear spray.

After carrying a shotgun at 'port arms' when hunting grouse, and still not being fast enough to 'get on' the bird with any accuracy when that harmless ball of feathers flies in the opposite direction, I've come to realize that the chances of me accessing, aiming, and getting a shot off at a big ball of fur crashing towards me in the bush - are pretty minimal. Only in the case of stand-off, slow motion kind of attack would it be effective, and even then, the pepper spray would suffice to dissuade escalation.