Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Other than the huge costs of creating a new hatchery or importing fish from the U.S.
Where is the huge cost of a new hatchery one hatchery can handle more then one breed of fish
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Now I have to go through my stack of magazines to find an article written about how Alberta needs to keep up with changes in our enviroment before it's to late It mentioned introducing new fish species I recall --- any one remember who wrote it ?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
Cattle are huge competitors with native ungulates for food and voracious eaters, does that mean cattle are bad and we need to get rid of them and tear down all the fences in Alberta and re-introduce bison everywhere?
Most of our ungulates are browsers, not grazers.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Why not cut down on the amount of trout restocked each year and introduce a new fishery HOW MANY TROUT DO PEOPLE NEED
2X I seen an awsome Pike and Perch Fishery blue stoned and drained to kill off the Pike and Perch, (I seen Pike up to 25lbs and 1.5lb Perch come out of the Dam) to reintroduce Trout so some coffin dodger can sit on shore with his Pickrel rig and Cheese balls to catch a muddy tasting, nonrenewable resource. And the same year they filled it back up they found that the Perch and Pike surrvived. That dam leads to no where and would be perfect to give Bass a try.
I love fly fishing but can't justify the money wasted on the put and take ponds. Keep some of them yes but most of them let them go. Nobody even fishes 3/4 of the ones I know about because there boring.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Now I have to go through my stack of magazines to find an article written about how Alberta needs to keep up with changes in our enviroment before it's to late It mentioned introducing new fish species I recall --- any one remember who wrote it ?
don't recall who but do remember seeing article don't know which mag
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
oka.if scientists had all the answers why did Island lake fail? Why did they try it
Scientists are the last people who say they have all the answers. They also use the precautionary principle when making recommendations to avoid the mistake of unintended consequences.

It is just bad fish and game management to introduce non-native species into an ecosystem.

There are some neutral examples (huns as example), many, many examples where things went horribly wrong and no one can show any long term good examples of where an introduced species, plant or animal, has enhanced an ecosystem.

As that is a given, why play with fire if one doesn't have to.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
don't recall who but do remember seeing article don't know which mag
It was either AO or WS and it was written by one of the posters on this thread if I recall right ---it's gonna take a bit to find it I think lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
It was either AO or WS and it was written by one of the posters on this thread if I recall right ---it's gonna take a bit to find it I think lol
Likely a good idea if you do reread it...lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Scientists are the last people who say they have all the answers. They also use the precautionary principle when making recommendations to avoid the mistake of unintended consequences.

It is just bad fish and game management to introduce non-native species into an ecosystem.

There are some neutral examples (huns as example), many, many examples where things went horribly wrong and no one can show any long term good examples of where an introduced species, plant or animal, has enhanced an ecosystem.

Fire can be good sometimes it is not always bad
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Where is the huge cost of a new hatchery one hatchery can handle more then one breed of fish
Are you sure our hatcheries are capable of doing that?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
okay..suppliment the expense with licence fees....you play you PAY.

No one knows it will be marginal......if scientists had all the answers why did Island lake fail? Why did they try it?
Is it possible a southern res may work?
Can a Bass fishery be a economic bonus like the Bow.
Ask the fishinggeeks what happened when the nets broke in saskabush.

im sorry but so called scientist and fishery people backed by scientists are not running on a good track record with current fishery decisions........
Not sure I'd call a couple guys doing some occasional guiding a economic bonus. Well for the two of them I guess it is....lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure our hatcheries are capable of doing that?
Im sure if they are cutting down on the numbers of trout here should be ponds open for bass.

PS it wasn't you who wrote that article was it ....lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

What would you guys say about stocking Chinook Salmon in Lesser Slave Lake?

Anyone ever heard of this idea?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Im sure if they are cutting down on the numbers of trout here should be ponds open for bass.

PS it wasn't you who wrote that article was it ....lol
A bit more to rearing fish than that from my understanding. I doubt it would be that simple.

I did write a similar article but not that one....lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Not sure I'd call a couple guys doing some occasional guiding a economic bonus. Well for the two of them I guess it is....lol
i hope that number isnt scientifc...lol
Im sure the Bow river has huge economic benifits...im not sure of numbers but between hotels, food, air, tackle and so forth its substanial.

Why because a so called BAD fish lives in the Bow River
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
i hope that number isnt scientifc...lol
Im sure the Bow river has huge economic benifits...im not sure of numbers but between hotels, food, air, tackle and so forth its substanial.

Why because a so called BAD fish lives in the Bow River
I was speaking to your comment about The Fishing Geeks.

I doubt you'd see a marginal smallmouth fishery attract much economic boom. The folks on Vancouver Island aren't getting rich and that is a world-class smallmouth fishery.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 PM

There has been a lot of threads and posts on this subject but I can't remember one post showing any proof that Bass will have a bad impact on any native species.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
There has been a lot of threads and posts on this subject but I can't remember one post showing any proof that Bass will have a bad impact on any native species.
There have been a lot of threads and posts on this subject but I can't remember one post showing any proof that bass will have a positive impact on any native species.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Pretty hard to prove a negative until after the fact.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I was speaking to your comment about The Fishing Geeks.

I doubt you'd see a marginal smallmouth fishery attract much economic boom. The folks on Vancouver Island aren't getting rich and that is a world-class smallmouth fishery.
well i didnt mean they are getting rich......i meant much is too be learned about that situation and what happened at CVR.

it tough to compete with a salmon area.....but the cowichan browns do recieve some attention.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
A bit more to rearing fish than that from my understanding. I doubt it would be that simple.

My memory might be foggy but I was sure you wrote the article I will have to find it -- I might be foggy on the contents as well. Do you remember the date and make of the magazine?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
well i didnt mean they are getting rich......i meant much is too be learned about that situation and what happened at CVR.

it tough to compete with a salmon area.....but the cowichan browns do recieve some attention.
If smallmouth are that popular, you'd think Vancouver Island would be overrun. Last few times I've been out there I haven't run into a single bass fisherman...lots of guys fishing for trout but not bass.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Just because you say it is a given does NOT make it true
Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
My memory might be foggy but I was sure you wrote the article I will have to find it -- I might be foggy on the contents as well. Do you remember the date and make of the magazine?
It was several years ago for AO....sorry but I can't remember the date. You'd be disappointed if you read it anyhow...lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

Actually had a friend back home that had a hatchery he raise multiple species with no issues
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It is -- but look around Alberta is not a pristine wilderness, everywhere you go it is chopped up farm land and oil and gas property most of our water bodies in the south are man made. Things have changed. I don't understand why a little more change that will make a bunch of people happy brings out all the conservationists who preach all the doom and gloom.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
but they already stocked bass and it showed no negative impact on any native species
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM

anybody take a stab at why we dont relocate polar bears to alberta?....... because it would be stupid, expensive, unneccesary, they might not survive, and they might throw the ecosystem out of whack should they survive..... hey.... thats very similar to the bass of this thread..... or do you think we need polar bears? 1 more specie to hunt...... maybe not such a bad idea..... lmao!!!! i kill myself!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
There have been a lot of threads and posts on this subject but I can't remember one post showing any proof that bass will have a positive impact on any native species.
WOW even native species don't show a positive impact on other native species
but native species sure show a negative impact on native species
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
anybody take a stab at why we dont relocate polar bears to alberta?....... because it would be stupid, expensive, unneccesary, they might not survive, and they might throw the ecosystem out of whack should they survive..... hey.... thats very similar to the bass of this thread..... or do you think we need polar bears? 1 more specie to hunt...... maybe not such a bad idea..... lmao!!!! i kill myself!!!!
I'm thinking cause we are short of seals and icebergs