Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Yes, I am aware, but really heavy angling pressure may keep them in check some
If they are as good eating as people are saying they are it might help.

Anglers seem to be able to over fish our native species even with catch limits.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:04 AM

Red face

Hey guys. I have been fishing for carp back in Europe for about 10 years. Back there we eat this fish and believe it or not, if you know how to cook it, it's delicious. Over there they stock it and people pay for access to private water that produces nice specimens of carps. We have fishing competitions including this carp and trust me, for its size, it fights. Grab a light or ultralight tackle and it's on!
I have seen so much hate towards the Prussian carp on this site and it seems like everybody is concentrating on the negatives. I see a lot of people on here willing to destroy this fish out of fear of the unknown, I bet most of them never seen, caught or ate one in this life.
Here is how I see it. Calgary has been growing pretty fast, which means the fishermen numbers have increased significantly. I have lived here for a long time and we all can agree that fisheries quality around Calgary is decreasing day by day because of excessive pressure,poaching,commercial fishing,etc. Daily catch limits are being reduced year after year in an effort to have fish stocks to recover. What if a tough fast reproducing species is the answer? I have seen this fish back home sharing waters with many other species without many problems. I can tell you that most of us fish eating fishermen could actually have a fry in our pan every time we head out to a lake. Prussian crap would survive in literally any puddle in or out of Calgary. No more driving for hours to reach a decent fishery, us and our kids would have a very sustainable species of fish on our doorstep. What if this would mean less pressure on the existing game fish (I personally and many others I know would rather target this fish than pike for example), more food for the pikes and waleyes ( meaning the prized trout would be less targeted by predators). Let's face it, at the rate this city grew and continues to do so, we'll soon have only catch and release fisheries. Prussian carp may not be as pretty and kissable as trout but i can tell you that all Asian, European and some Canadian fishermen who like to eat fish would prize it. I think this fish deserves more respect and should not be treated like garbage. Something to think about.

Last edited by Smecher; 06-11-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 AM

I hear what your saying and for the most part I agree...if we could limit these little buggers to ponds and pothole lakes I don't have a problem with that! Last year I was curious and went up to Dewitts and caught a few of them, it was a fun couple of hours...BUT if these guys get into the Bow river system upstream of Carsland, knowing what they can potentially do I'm gonna be ****ed!!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smecher View Post
Hey guys. I have been fishing for carp back in Europe for about 10 years. Back there we eat this fish and believe it or not, if you know how to cook it, it's delicious. Over there they stock it and people pay for access to private water that produces nice specimens of carps. We have fishing competitions including this carp and trust me, for its size, it fights. Grab a light or ultralight tackle and it's on!
I have seen so much hate towards the Prussian carp on this site and it seems like everybody is concentrating on the negatives. I see a lot of people on here willing to destroy this fish out of fear of the unknown, I bet most of them never seen, caught or ate one in this life.
Here is how I see it. Calgary has been growing pretty fast, which means the fishermen numbers have increased significantly. I have lived here for a long time and we all can agree that fisheries quality around Calgary is decreasing day by day because of excessive pressure,poaching,commercial fishing,etc. Daily catch limits are being reduced year after year in an effort to have fish stocks to recover. What if a tough fast reproducing species is the answer? I have seen this fish back home sharing waters with many other species without many problems. I can tell you that most of us fish eating fishermen could actually have a fry in our pan every time we head out to a lake. Prussian crap would survive in literally any puddle in or out of Calgary. No more driving for hours to reach a decent fishery, us and our kids would have a very sustainable species of fish on our doorstep. What if this would mean less pressure on the existing game fish (I personally and many others I know would rather target this fish than pike for example), more food for the pikes and waleyes ( meaning the prized trout would be less targeted by predators). Let's face it, at the rate this city grew and continues to do so, we'll soon have only catch and release fisheries. Prussian carp may not be as pretty and kissable as trout but i can tell you that all Asian, European and some Canadian fishermen who like to eat fish would prize it. I think this fish deserves more respect and should not be treated like garbage. Something to think about.
Its an invasive species. People are concentrating on the negatives because it is negative. Eventually, people will accept it. But anyway you want to put it, the negatives still out way any positives.
We do not want zebra mussels or Asian Carp either. Fish species should not be introduced just to please "All Asian, European and even some Canadian fishermen" who like to eat fish. There are plenty of whitefish and other species(suckers for example) around and if it goes catch and release so be it!
I was born in Alberta and dont want to see these fish here or any other invasive species. To many that is one heck of a negative.

Not to mention that this is your first post and may just enjoy a little trolling.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 AM

If we're going to support an invasive species, we might as well throw a couple snakeheads into these lakes, they'll take care of the carp.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 AM

Seen this picture floating around FB

If you catch one, kill it !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.3 KB, 249 views)

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I see where you're coming from, and you make a very good point that for the most part I agree with. And I'm not responding as an attack towards you, just as a comment on what you've said;
Yes we need better fishing opportunities for the growing population, but stocked pothole lakes have been doing a very good job so far., and are probably the answer. Maybe if they created more pothole lakes that can sustain larger stocking programs, that may help the pressure on native rivers. Or on top of that is to get more people into that brookie killing program. Regardless I personally don't think carp are the solution. Although some people dislike pike and perch, it may be the answer since they reproduce fairly quickly and are native. Also I personally believe that we have to stop stalking foreign strains of rainbow trout, we should either stock athabows, or native cutthroat (where environment is permissible).
What do you people think?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Default Carp

Hi, guys. Used to catch them in Europe. Its delicious tasty fish. Would like to have some info where i can catch carp around Calgary. Any info would help.
403 826 0089 Thanks.

Last edited by m.fisherman; 06-11-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.fisherman View Post
Hi, guys. Used to catch them in Europe. Its delicious tasty fish. Would like to have some info where i can catch carp around Calgary. Any info would help.
403 826 0089 Thanks.
Dewitts pond just North of town!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Dewitts pond just North of town!
What are the numbers like? I'd like to try it out but it's a hike for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
What are the numbers like? I'd like to try it out but it's a hike for me.
I went in there late August of last year landed 5 but lost 4 more in the weeds in about 2 hours or so...I used corn under a small slip bobber! Asian dude beside me was using pieces of worm, bobber, a 12' rod and was doing very well!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I went in there late August of last year landed 5 but lost 4 more in the weeds in about 2 hours or so...I used corn under a small slip bobber! Asian dude beside me was using pieces of worm, bobber, a 12' rod and was doing very well!
Thank you! Could you recommend a particular location? Feel free to PM. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Thank you! Could you recommend a particular location? Feel free to PM. Thanks again!
It's a smallish pond! I was fishin the north side and catching them 10' off the bank...the water was really dark but you can see the weeds move and the odd bubble come to the surface as they move through!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It's a smallish pond! I was fishin the north side and catching them 10' off the bank...the water was really dark but you can see the weeds move and the odd bubble come to the surface as they move through!
Perfect, I'll give it a try if I can find some nice weather next week. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM

I read thru the thread and see that no one mentioned....

Does anyone remember anything about the grass carp being indroduced to the irrigation canals 25-30 years ago, to help keep the grass and weeds from choking off the canals?

If the carp were introduced to artifical man made water courses are they still considered invasive to our natural lakes and rivers?

I guess the floods might have given the carp a means to get to new water sources.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Its an invasive species. People are concentrating on the negatives because it is negative. Eventually, people will accept it. But anyway you want to put it, the negatives still out way any positives.
We do not want zebra mussels or Asian Carp either. Fish species should not be introduced just to please "All Asian, European and even some Canadian fishermen" who like to eat fish. There are plenty of whitefish and other species(suckers for example) around and if it goes catch and release so be it!
I was born in Alberta and dont want to see these fish here or any other invasive species. To many that is one heck of a negative.

Not to mention that this is your first post and may just enjoy a little trolling.
Yes, that is my first post because I rarely like to but in. I am not trolling. I am also not celebrating "the carp invasion", just trying to make some notes on the possible positive outcome.
Just to make one thing clear, carps are here and not going anywhere. People can stomp on them all they want, I know this fish and you can drop an atomic bomb, it will probably grow an extra eye or something but it will survive. I respect all fish in the water, I didn't put them there, you didn't and none of us can change that.
About the white fish, yes, good fish, but not everybody fishes deep out of boats in the summer using fish finders. I personally am against fish finders and those underwater cameras people use under ice, but that's a different story altogether.
Suckers are not great for eating in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:56 PM

Default Why is no one saying ......how they got here

I have not read one version of how they have come to be
In the water here ...if I was a avid fisherman from a place
Where these are one of most prolific , caught and eaten
Fish available .....then hey we need them here ....right !!!!!!

You can't keep Pike , Walleyes , perch ( hard to find ) , white fish
Tough to catch , Trout ......where ......fish are for eating .....what the
Hell kind of country is this . Lots of sloughs .....next time your fishing
By a new Canadian ,chat him up , interesting take on put and take .
People crazy here , catch fish , put back ... You all clazy .

One mans pet another mans invasive specie ....
I put it to you , these things are being farmed here .

You can get them in the mail .
http://www.oodmag.com/community/show...Carp-in-Ontaio

Hope for another stinky winter kill ,winter .....or poison those sloughs now .

Picture getting any clearer ... This is a devious ,Insrutable plan ,

Last edited by Winch101; 06-12-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I have not read one version of how they have come to be
In the water here ...if I was a avid fisherman from a place
Where these are one of most prolific , caught and eaten
Fish available .....then hey we need them here ....right !!!!!!

You can't keep Pike , Walleyes , perch ( hard to find ) , white fish
Tough to catch , Trout ......where ......fish are for eating .....what the
Hell kind of country is this . Lots of sloughs .....next time your fishing
By a new Canadian ,chat him up , interesting take on put and take .
People crazy here , catch fish , put back ... You all clazy .
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Can you please phrase it differently?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:22 PM

He is blaming immigrants for introducing the fish. He's also saying immigrant fishermen don't respect Canadian ones because they catch and release.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
He is blaming immigrants for introducing the fish. He's also saying immigrant fishermen don't respect Canadian ones because they catch and release.
Oooh okay. Yeah it's because in many areas of the world, fishing isn't a sport, but a way of subsistence. The thought of keeping everything has been inculcated into their culture, so I don't really blame them. But us "Canadians" follow instilled (child-born) guidelines as well. But part of the deal for us living in Canada is to follow Canadian law. Who cares about what other fisherman think... You, yourself, should feel good about helping conserve the future generations of fish.
This thread is dead by the way hahaha
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Default Apparently I wasn't the first to figure this out

We are not the only problem place in Canada

https://www.abinvasives.ca/newslette...2014-volume-3/

Read down to Fishy ....last paragraph on Alberta
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM

Default Dewitts Pond Carp

Went to Dewitts pond this morning in search of my first Prussian Carp. 3 or so hours of fishing along with my buddy, didn't catch anything. Used bobbers with cheese, corn and artificial flies. Going to try a different bait. What have they been caught on? Going to go back in try worms or powerbait.

Noticed they don't have the Prussian Carp "kill, don't release signs here yet.

Lots of other people fishing out there. One guy caught what looked to be about a 3 inch carp. We were on the other side of the channel but it was almost certainly a carp not trout. Buddy's friends took photos and he released it.

Too bad more people, yet alone anglers don`t know that they should be killed.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Banned

There are good and bad apples on both sides, who to blame??? no one knows for certain how these carp came to Alberta. Pointing fingers is childish, and many have done so without a single fact to back it up.

It's a high risk specie of carp, what is it doing on north American continent in the first place???

This entire country came to be because of immigrants and their influences, that trend is still ongoing. Some people, I concluded ,
Believe that they sprouted out of Canadian soil, ignoring the fact that someone down their family tree had to cross the pond...
Old 06-17-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Went to Dewitts pond this morning in search of my first Prussian Carp. 3 or so hours of fishing along with my buddy, didn't catch anything. Used bobbers with cheese, corn and artificial flies. Going to try a different bait. What have they been caught on? Going to go back in try worms or powerbait.

Noticed they don't have the Prussian Carp "kill, don't release signs here yet.

Lots of other people fishing out there. One guy caught what looked to be about a 3 inch carp. We were on the other side of the channel but it was almost certainly a carp not trout. Buddy's friends took photos and he released it.

Too bad more people, yet alone anglers don`t know that they should be killed.
JareS, carp like corn, pressed bread balls, green peas, worms and maggots.
In Europe they traditionally use sunflower oil cake and seed meal.
You can experiment with dough balls based on thin corn meal.
Carp is a water pig, they eat all!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM

There is a reason they might be invasive. They dont belong in the watershed. There is no predator other then large pike that can control them. Eco-sysrems evolved with purpose everything in it has its place and balance. Throw in or take out one piece and it collapses. Look at the great lakes and the alwives they put in to control the zebra mussle. Mats of dead 2" long fish. Or our native westslope cutthroats and bulls out bread and outnumbered by non native species. If you need take a look at trout unlimited's stewardship project. Look at the numbers of brook trout caught compared to cutts and bulls. I have participated in it for 3 years now and first hand see the damage that a non native species can do
Old 06-21-2015, 12:19 PM

We can all cry all we want - the fact is: it is too late. These fish are spread through most of east south Alberta by now and nobody will eradicate them. I checked few scales of recently caught ones, they are 8-10 years old. And that was 1lbs size fish. People catching twice as big ones now. Means they lived here for 12-15 years at least and survived brutal winters and reproduced just fine...Battle is lost if there ever was one, lets accept that it is part of Alberta fisheries now and stop fighting with windmills.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
They won't take artificial flies. Corn may be good in some places. Best is small red worms and maggots in early spring and fall when water is cold but during summer when water warms up they really turn vegetarian IMHO. Pearl barley, bread, pasta, pancakes, homemade dough are the best. They like artificial flavors of vanilla and cinnamon. Hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Some interesting reporting in this article:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2073049/do...arium-dumping/

Some stormwater ponds in Calgary have been stocked with Prussian Carp, and people are illegally fishing and eating the fish.

I got this from the internet...therefore, it MUST be true.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Coventry Hills storm pond is full of "gold fish".
Sad state of affairs.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Coventry Hills storm pond is full of "gold fish".
Sad state of affairs.
Why is that a sad state ? Does the water from that storm pond go into other waters ? If the fish are land locked, then who cares ? If the storm water ponds go into other waters, like canals and creeks then there is a problem. Maybe these carp will keep people from poaching other species just to get a meal of fish !