Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Is Put & Take just a wee bit smaller than a Chip & Put or is it a Chip, Put & Take? I'm all confused now.

The poll numbers always come in at a 5 point spread, interesting.
poll have stayed pretty close 4-5-6 apart long time
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is Put & Take just a wee bit smaller than a Chip & Put or is it a Chip, Put & Take? I'm all confused now.

The poll numbers always come in at a 5 point spread, interesting.
Oops double post sorry
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM

people are voting for the video now!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
people are voting for the video now!!!!
What is the video?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
What is the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
OH NO YOU DIDN"T......................
Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
This one is good too for the super fighters in us;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iE...eature=related

But seriously, I just noticed that the poll doesn't have a deadline and is always pretty much 50/50,, kinda like the meat draw at The Legion.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
OH NO YOU DIDN"T......................
fans wanted to know.....lol
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
This one is good too for the super fighters in us;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iE...eature=related

But seriously, I just noticed that the poll doesn't have a deadline and is always pretty much 50/50,, kinda like the meat draw at The Legion.
This kind of poll no one wins no one loses just some good exchanges of ideas
could go on for a long time new people all the time signing on
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
fans wanted to know.....lol
They been calling you..........
Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
They been calling you..........
mostly about my lunch box
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
mostly about my lunch box

LOL.........
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I forgot in your perfect world eveything works the first time.....
Once again doing something over and over the same way and you expect a different outcome.

I can't believe a group of sportsmen can want to introduce a new species into the province that hasn't worked in the past and say "well we just didn't try hard enough".

Look at the problems with introduced species in this province and other locations. The bucket brigade with always find a way to fvck it up.

We don't need bass in Alberta, just like we don't need perch in trout ponds and we don't need asian carp in the USA, snakeheads, etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Default And one more time...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
we have had enough "Big Mouth" migrate to our great province. we don't need anymore.

.........just to reiterate where i stand.

Dace
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
.........just to reiterate where i stand.

Dace

speaking of BIG.....what does Beth the bounty hunter look like topless
speaking of BIG.....what does Jennifer Lopez look like bottomless
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM

i made this videoabout 6 years ago in BC a lake called lake windermere or something like it under a boat launch on a hot summer day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTjHSqqmMM
Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Once again doing something over and over the same way and you expect a different outcome.

I can't believe a group of sportsmen can want to introduce a new species into the province that hasn't worked in the past and say "well we just didn't try hard enough".

Look at the problems with introduced species in this province and other locations. The bucket brigade with always find a way to fvck it up.

We don't need bass in Alberta, just like we don't need perch in trout ponds and we don't need asian carp in the USA, snakeheads, etc. etc. etc.
And there's no posable way anyone has learned anything different since the 1980's. Fortunate for the rest of the world not all people are like you they believe things can be learned ,change dose not cloud their judgment.

You should be glad that there are people that don't just give up other wards we could all be still living in caves..But then maybe you......no that's just to easy.

And even blaming a problem you take the easy way out."THEM DARN BUCKET BRIGADERS."...Mean while there's a few ways species can get transferred in to other waters.....

Oh and just so you know perch are native to Alberta and Yellow perch are and will continue to be an important species within much of Alberta as a high quality meal for humans and as prey for other fish
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
speaking of BIG.....what does Beth the bounty hunter look like topless
speaking of BIG.....what does Jennifer Lopez look like bottomless
How about we put them together and see what we get............
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM

how about CARP?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Where I grew up in Manitoba, we had 100's of lakes around us but only 2 of them had Bass stocked in them. This is the Smallmouth Bass.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

Have never seen a carp in alberta but a understand grass carp were introduced in Alberta as a weed control in ponds and canals
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
And there's no posable way anyone has learned anything different since the 1980's. Fortunate for the rest of the world not all people are like you they believe things can be learned ,change dose not cloud their judgment.
You just don't get it do you? Didn't work. Biology says won't work. And yet you persist.

Quote:
You should be glad that there are people that don't just give up other wards we could all be still living in caves..But then maybe you......no that's just to easy.
Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Quote:
And even blaming a problem you take the easy way out."THEM DARN BUCKET BRIGADERS."...Mean while there's a few ways species can get transferred in to other waters.....

Oh and just so you know perch are native to Alberta and Yellow perch are and will continue to be an important species within much of Alberta as a high quality meal for humans and as prey for other fish
No easy way out, just a realistic one. How do you think fisheries like Sundance Lake, Cummings Lake and many many others were screwed? People introducing perch to a lake with no known predators. What do you get? Stunted, useless perch that even if you do fish for them they are no bigger than 6" long.

And no $**t sherlock that perch are native to Alberta. But when you or someone like you decides "Hey these things would grow awesome close to home. Lets move some" you get situations described above.

Guess you know better than mother nature about bass and living in Alberta. Keep on the crusade there bud.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
You just don't get it do you? Didn't work. Biology says won't work. And yet you persist.

Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

No easy way out, just a realistic one. How do you think fisheries like Sundance Lake, Cummings Lake and many many others were screwed? People introducing perch to a lake with no known predators. What do you get? Stunted, useless perch that even if you do fish for them they are no bigger than 6" long.

And no $**t sherlock that perch are native to Alberta. But when you or someone like you decides "Hey these things would grow awesome close to home. Lets move some" you get situations described above.

Guess you know better than mother nature about bass and living in Alberta. Keep on the crusade there bud.

Sorry did not realize you were a biologist .....Right....

Your an only chid right......

There is more the one way for fish introduction but not for someone with a one track mind...

There it is knew you could not get through 1 simple post with out name calling......congrats........

"
No don't think i'm smarter then" mother nature" ......just "you":.......
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry did not realize you were a biologist .....Right....
You have no idea who I am or what I have training in. Its the internet so i am 7' tall, 350lbs of muscle and am a doctorate in 15 different disciplines from fish biology to French poetry.

Actually if you refer back in this very thread Sundancefisher is a fisheries biologist and he has stated that for put and take lakes biology doesn't work.

Now as a person who does have an interest and training in fisheries biology I would like to say I do not want to see any more introduced species in to Alberta for the reasons stated above.

Quote:
Your an only chid right......
Nope. Have a younger sister.

Quote:
There is more the one way for fish introduction but not for someone with a one track mind...
Absolutely there are other ways for fish to be introduced. Now tell me what "natural" way would Bass be introduced in to the Province of Alberta? Or how perch were introduced in to Lake Sundance, Cummings Lake, Hasse, etc etc etc..........?

Quote:
There it is knew you could not get through 1 simple post with out name calling......congrats........
Haven't called you a name yet. Sorry but you have been pretty much bullying anyone with a differing opinion than you. Listen I think you are wrong and have posted reasons why I think you are wrong. All you come back with is "I know you are but what am I?".

Grow up.

Now here is another question for you to ignore and not answer, why do you think bass would make a successful fishery in Alberta and what measures would you take to make sure that Bass did not have an adverse effect on native fish populations if they were to someway leave their designated lake? I worry that because bass are predatory that native populations of fish could be at risk to another predator.

Quote:
No don't think i'm smarter then" mother nature" ......just "you":.......
I guess this sums up the whole debate. Can't debate against someone that is superior than everyone else. I guess when you get nominated as king of the universe you can just snap your fingers and we will have bass in the province.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Yes I support an attempt to create a Bass fishery in Alberta.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Hey Donkey,

How can you say it doesn't work when they gave it a very small attempt and did very little stocking of it?

How many Trout lakes winterkill yet they still keep going back and dumping more fish in there. Doesn't that mean they have failed with that also and should give up on it? You have to look from both sides here and see that there is a very good possibility that there is some lakes and ponds that could support small mouth bass. Ya they may not be able to spawn but neither do the trout in any of them. They would just have to stock them every year just like trout making it the same kind of deal as trout.

Like mentioned before by Darter. It would take money away from other programs in Alberta and cost a ton to created a facility to spawn them but it is possible if the money was there.

Hey Darter,

There is carp in at least 2 ponds in Lethbridge and you can hook into them once and awhile. I can personally tell you that they do put up one hell of a fight and could be alot of fun to target.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
You have no idea who I am or what I have training in. Its the internet so i am 7' tall, 350lbs of muscle and am a doctorate in 15 different disciplines from fish biology to French poetry.

Actually if you refer back in this very thread Sundancefisher is a fisheries biologist and he has stated that for put and take lakes biology doesn't work.

Now as a person who does have an interest and training in fisheries biology I would like to say I do not want to see any more introduced species in to Alberta for the reasons stated above.

Nope. Have a younger sister.

Absolutely there are other ways for fish to be introduced. Now tell me what "natural" way would Bass be introduced in to the Province of Alberta? Or how perch were introduced in to Lake Sundance, Cummings Lake, Hasse, etc etc etc..........?

Haven't called you a name yet. Sorry but you have been pretty much bullying anyone with a differing opinion than you. Listen I think you are wrong and have posted reasons why I think you are wrong. All you come back with is "I know you are but what am I?".

Grow up.

Now here is another question for you to ignore and not answer, why do you think bass would make a successful fishery in Alberta and what measures would you take to make sure that Bass did not have an adverse effect on native fish populations if they were to someway leave their designated lake? I worry that because bass are predatory that native populations of fish could be at risk to another predator.

I guess this sums up the whole debate. Can't debate against someone that is superior than everyone else. I guess when you get nominated as king of the universe you can just snap your fingers and we will have bass in the province.

For someone that is interested in and is training in fisheries biology you have a very negative mind set scientists are support to have an open mind and have the ability to look beyond the problem. You better stay in school and change your career choice .

If you are that interested and trained in fish biology I should not have to tell you how fish can get introduced in to ponds and lakes.....But I willThere are birds such as cranes that fly from one pond to another. They could carry fish eggs on their feet and legs, or beak. This way new ponds get fish without being stocked. Also, if there is a ditch coming from another pond or creek the fish can travel this way.
Here are more opinions and answers from other FAQ Farmers:
Flooding, that temporarily connects one or more bodies of water.
Walking, some fish, like the walking catfish, and the northern snake head can travel short distances on land. During unusually wet seasons bodies of water may be fairly close, allowing them to "walk" over.
Man, since man came on the earth, we have done the majority of stocking of landlocked ponds and lakes.

The only reasons you have given for not wanting bass in alberta is...1) you don't want a new species in Alberta ....hmmmm very scientific .
2) They tried it before and it didn't work....hmmm very open minded.....

I have not bullied any one or called anyone names or used improper language ..."The bucket brigade with always find a way to fvck it up."......
.."And no $**t sherlock" very nice...

As far as a Bass as a predator fish it has as many fish and birds that prey on it as it preys on. You have as much likely hood of keeping it in one pond or lake as you do any other fish. You should know that.....?

Maybe you should read a little closer.....Sundancefishers...Quote.....
As a past fisheries biologist...I am somewhat torn. They did try in Island lake...some hold outs...but mostly gone. They tried in Wabamun...but no luck. I am not sure where they could try but given the lake of lakes in Alberta...you would have to impact the local predators...pike and walleye to let them establish...then protect them with regs as they would be both susceptible to over harvest and also susceptible to habitat stresses.

Still...they have very limited range and we are outside of it. I would not worry about them moving around like say channel cats...

In a limited fishery...it would be highly utilized and add tremendous value as a fishing option.

I voted for supporting...

Sun

That is a scientistic answer even though it failed once you do not close your mind. And I do value Sun option and agree it would not be an easy task and possibly not viable at all BUT and it's a big but the question was ....WOULD YOU SUPORT THE INTRODUCTION OF BASS IN ALBERTA...not will it work this we don't know we know last time it was not the best results but times change. An open mind is the only way to learn......

As far as the last I did not say any where or any time that I was superior then everyone. I only said I was smarter then YOU. Perhaps this is not true but you gave me no reason to think different. I'm not sure how old you are very young I'm guessing but if you are interested in fisheries and biology talk to Sundancefisher maybe he can open your mind a little. You have a strong determination perhaps it can be channeled a little more.....Have a good day
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
For someone that is interested in and is training in fisheries biology you have a very negative mind set scientists are support to have an open mind and have the ability to look beyond the problem. You better stay in school and change your career choice .
Once again you don't know me. Been a long time out of school in the real world.
Quote:

If you are that interested and trained in fish biology I should not have to tell you how fish can get introduced in to ponds and lakes.....But I willThere are birds such as cranes that fly from one pond to another. They could carry fish eggs on their feet and legs, or beak. This way new ponds get fish without being stocked. Also, if there is a ditch coming from another pond or creek the fish can travel this way.
Here are more opinions and answers from other FAQ Farmers:
Flooding, that temporarily connects one or more bodies of water.
Walking, some fish, like the walking catfish, and the northern snake head can travel short distances on land. During unusually wet seasons bodies of water may be fairly close, allowing them to "walk" over.
Man, since man came on the earth, we have done the majority of stocking of landlocked ponds and lakes.
Yep all ways that natural species of fish spread. Once again how did perch get in to those lakes designated as put and take trout lakes? There is an experiment that failed didn't it?

Quote:

The only reasons you have given for not wanting bass in alberta is...1) you don't want a new species in Alberta ....hmmmm very scientific .
2) They tried it before and it didn't work....hmmm very open minded.....
So you are saying that bass will have zero impact on native fisheries? I think we have had a poster that has said it is ruining salmon and trout areas in the maritimes. My reason for not wanting them is they are a non-native species and we have no idea what impact they could have on the environment. I see no environmental impact assessment and no studies.

As a personal opinion the bad out weighs any perceived good. I would not support the introduction of another non-native species to this province.
Quote:
I have not bullied any one or called anyone names or used improper language ..."The bucket brigade with always find a way to fvck it up."......
.."And no $**t sherlock" very nice...
Come off the high horse there trader. You belittle anyone that doesn't share your viewpoint.
Quote:
As far as a Bass as a predator fish it has as many fish and birds that prey on it as it preys on. You have as much likely hood of keeping it in one pond or lake as you do any other fish. You should know that.....?
Still a predator that native fish populations have not had the experience evading. And EXACTLY you have the same likely hood of keeping it in one pond or lake as any other fish. Just like the fish that should not be in Lake Sundance and Hasse and Cummings and the host of others that have been ruined as a trout lake by the bucket brigade moving fish.

Quote:

Maybe you should read a little closer.....Sundancefishers...Quote.....
As a past fisheries biologist...I am somewhat torn. They did try in Island lake...some hold outs...but mostly gone. They tried in Wabamun...but no luck. I am not sure where they could try but given the lake of lakes in Alberta...you would have to impact the local predators...pike and walleye to let them establish...then protect them with regs as they would be both susceptible to over harvest and also susceptible to habitat stresses.

Still...they have very limited range and we are outside of it. I would not worry about them moving around like say channel cats...

In a limited fishery...it would be highly utilized and add tremendous value as a fishing option.

I voted for supporting...

Sun

That is a scientistic answer even though it failed once you do not close your mind. And I do value Sun option and agree it would not be an easy task and possibly not viable at all BUT and it's a big but the question was ....WOULD YOU SUPORT THE INTRODUCTION OF BASS IN ALBERTA...not will it work this we don't know we know last time it was not the best results but times change. An open mind is the only way to learn......

As far as the last I did not say any where or any time that I was superior then everyone. I only said I was smarter then YOU. Perhaps this is not true but you gave me no reason to think different. I'm not sure how old you are very young I'm guessing but if you are interested in fisheries and biology talk to Sundancefisher maybe he can open your mind a little. You have a strong determination perhaps it can be channeled a little more.....Have a good day
Every word was true in Sundance's post. He himself said that its been tried in more than one lake and failed. You would have to severely impact native fish population and then and even then the fish would be highly susceptible to stressors like harvest and habitat.

He said he would support the idea and I said I would not support the idea. If you look at the scientific method both out comes can come from the same set of criteria.

As for how old I am I am 38yrs old. I have a diploma in Environmental Science with a major in Fish and Wildlife. I also hold a certificate in Conservation Law Enforcement along with many other certificates. I do have an understanding in ecology and environment. You can not predict what a species will do once introduced. I am sure the well meaning folks that stocked snakeheads and asian carp didn't think that they would become an ecological nightmare. I just don't think we need to take the chance here in Alberta.

Our lakes and waterways are under too much pressure as it is to keep trying to add species. It never works out in the end. Lets try to fix or at least keep the fish we have instead of adding more pressure.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

I suggest you go back to school even when there is a quote in front of you ..
You either can't read it or can't understand it ... Now you are starting to waste my time. You say nothing new and are so far off topic now..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

She's a Tied Ball Game!!!