Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Bobcat hunting tips

Anyone have experience hunting these critters. I have one that's hanging around in a spruce thicket close to a small gully with a creak going through it. Are they animals of routine or go about the day as they please. Also would an eletric call work on one of them. There's lots of birds such as grouse and tons of squirrels not very many rabbits in the area. Completely new kind of hunt for me so fire away
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Anyone have experience hunting these critters. I have one that's hanging around in a spruce thicket close to a small gully with a creak going through it. Are they animals of routine or go about the day as they please. Also would an eletric call work on one of them. There's lots of birds such as grouse and tons of squirrels not very many rabbits in the area. Completely new kind of hunt for me so fire away
Bobcat
A resident may, without a licence from November 1 - February 28, 2016, hunt (but not trap) bobcat in WMUs 102, 104, 106, 108, 112, 116, 118, 119 and in the portion of WMU 110 that lies east of highway 2 and south of highway 3. The use of dogs is prohibited. All kills must be registered at a Fish and Wildlife office.

I would contact F&W if it was me if your outside of the above listed WMU's.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 PM

Ignoring the fact that there is no hunting season for bobcat near Sylvan Lake for a moment, chances are high that you are seeing a lynx, not a bobcat.... for which there is also no open hunting season.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Default Bobcat

We had a bobcat raise her young in our neighbourhood, I've got pictures of them playing in the backyard. Gorgeous animals. Can you explain to me your reasoning as to why you want to kill them? Is it for the fur, because they're killing your livestock, or you just want to kill? I'm all for hunting and certain of our carnivores are over populated but I don't think bobcats and Lynx fit that category.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Bobcats

Also electronic calls are illegal for these guys
Old 11-23-2015, 07:50 PM

I won't go to far but if you are asking how to hunt them I'm guessing you probably can't field judge the difference between a bobcat and Lynx. Hell unless your a seasoned trapper most of the population can't.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
We had a bobcat raise her young in our neighbourhood, I've got pictures of them playing in the backyard. Gorgeous animals. Can you explain to me your reasoning as to why you want to kill them? Is it for the fur, because they're killing your livestock, or you just want to kill? I'm all for hunting and certain of our carnivores are over populated but I don't think bobcats and Lynx fit that category.
Can you explain to me your reasoning for giving a guy a hard time on a hunting forum because he is targeting a certain species? Any one of those three are valid reasons to hunt them
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable
Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 PM

Default Sure

It just sounds like the dude wants to blast a bobcat regardless of the laws or for a good reason, it doesn't sound like its legal in his zone and he wants to use an electronic call to boot which is definitely illegal.

If there's not a decent reason to do it why kill something for the fun of it? Think of the enjoyment he might get out of watching it and learning its habits. No, not all creatures are here to kill.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
It just sounds like the dude wants to blast a bobcat regardless of the laws or for a good reason, it doesn't sound like its legal in his zone and he wants to use an electronic call to boot which is definitely illegal.

If there's not a decent reason to do it why kill something for the fun of it? Think of the enjoyment he might get out of watching it and learning its habits. No, not all creatures are here to kill.
Thrill of the hunt? How do you know he doesn't have a "decent reason"?

I appreciate that you live in Calgary and probably don't get to see real wild animals too often, but I'd like to encourage you to come back to reality and be half smart about what you're doing here. However you may feel about bobcats, they are a legally hunted species in Alberta and you have some real nerve questioning this guy's motives like that. If you think he might mistakenly contravene any laws then point him in the right direction and show him the regs, or just keep your thoughts to yourself. This is a hunting forum, if you don't like it go join a wildlife photography board
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post

I appreciate that you live in Calgary and probably don't get to see real wild animals too often, but I'd like to encourage you to come back to reality and be half smart about what you're doing here. However you may feel about bobcats, they are a legally hunted species in Alberta and you have some real nerve questioning this guy's motives like that. If you think he might mistakenly contravene any laws then point him in the right direction and show him the regs, or just keep your thoughts to yourself. This is a hunting forum, if you don't like it go join a wildlife photography board
They have posted the regulations page already, it clearly states that if he were to shoot a bobcat where he lives according to his avatar he will be poaching. He is no where near any of those WMU's. Plus it is likely a lynx, bobcats do wonder north once in a while, however it's not likely the is a bobcat in Sylvan Lake. From what I have read no one is cursing him, they are letting him no it's not legal.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Thrill of the hunt is a valid reason to hunt a bobcat in your opinion? I think that motivation should be limited to ground squirrles and crows in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Ken H;3045494]. Plus it is likely a lynx, bobcats do wonder north once in a while, however it's not likely the is a bobcat in Sylvan Lake. QUOTE]

when I lived 6 miles south of Stony Plain Alberta I had a female BOBCAT
not a LYNX
raise her little ones in an old caved in farm house
in my yard
we filmed them in our drive way playing several times
they were definitely bobcats and not lynx
as well when I grew up east of Calgary
along the irrigation canals
there was quite a good population of bob cats
another critter that also wasn't supposed to habitat an area was racoons
there was racoons along the creek at my fathers farm north of Nojack Alberta
I trapped several of them
when I was younger
and there is still a good population of racoons there
they love the oat field in the fall
Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 AM

I live 45 min west of sylvan lake, according to the regs I may not hunt him. But doesn't mean I may not learn how. When I am down south or in bc with my family there it would be great knowledge to put it practice! In the meantime I still want to try and get close to this guy just for the experience and practice.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Everytime I see them it's allways for a few seconds or a flash. I think unless they have a family around they don't seem to stick around. Are you sure it's a bobcat because immature Lynx look a lot like a bobcat.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Thrill of the hunt is a valid reason to hunt a bobcat in your opinion? I think that motivation should be limited to ground squirrles and crows in my opinion.
So you're telling me that you don't think hunting is a pleasurable experience in and of itself? Cut the crap man everybody here enjoys hunting at least a little bit or they wouldn't do it
Old 11-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Everytime I see them it's allways for a few seconds or a flash. I think unless they have a family around they don't seem to stick around. Are you sure it's a bobcat because immature Lynx look a lot like a bobcat.
Very well could be a small lynx. There is cat tracks all over the area in there some are small and some are quite big. I've read the mature lynx tracks look like small cougar tracks and I did see fairly big cat tracks that at first I thought we're cougar. But could be a full grown lynx. Cats are mainly solitary so if there is a mix of big and small tracks maybe it's offspring of some sort?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So you're telling me that you don't think hunting is a pleasurable experience in and of itself? Cut the crap man everybody here enjoys hunting at least a little bit or they wouldn't do it
Not interested in engaging a discussion. Carry on.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Very well could be a small lynx. There is cat tracks all over the area in there some are small and some are quite big. I've read the mature lynx tracks look like small cougar tracks and I did see fairly big cat tracks that at first I thought we're cougar. But could be a full grown lynx. Cats are mainly solitary so if there is a mix of big and small tracks maybe it's offspring of some sort?
Even a small lynx will leave a very large track compared to a bobcat. The fact that there are not many hares in the area would rule out lynx. What you will notice is the large fur print around the lynx track and small toes. A cougar track may be similar in overall size to a lynx though it will have bigger toes and heel pad. With the deeper snow you would be able to see the rear hock print of a lynx, something you seldom see with the other cats unless they sit down.

Bobcat are closed to hunting AND trapping in a lot of the province so even if your a rural land owner you don't have the option to trap them. Nothing wrong with following it's tracks until you meet up with it, then you'll know for sure what it is.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Even a small lynx will leave a very large track compared to a bobcat. The fact that there are not many hares in the area would rule out lynx. What you will notice is the large fur print around the lynx track and small toes. A cougar track may be similar in overall size to a lynx though it will have bigger toes and heel pad. With the deeper snow you would be able to see the rear hock print of a lynx, something you seldom see with the other cats unless they sit down.

Bobcat are closed to hunting AND trapping in a lot of the province so even if your a rural land owner you don't have the option to trap them. Nothing wrong with following it's tracks until you meet up with it, then you'll know for sure what it is.
5km east of my place a farmer has tons of rabbits around his place. Wouldn't rule it out completely. I guess the only real way to find out is seeing it myself, will try to take pictures as well for you guys. But as the thread originally states I need to know the best way see one
Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM

Trail Cam!!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
They are allegedly very tastey...
Never got around to it last season, but to find the time this fall here on the West Coast.
Guys I talked to said using a couple of varmint mouth calls or fawn bleats work.
Just keep your eyes pealed as they will show up when least expected.
If you have an electronic caller give that a play...there are those calls that wave a furry tail and those can be deadly too I am told.
Rob
Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Most of the green area of Alberta is a Registered Trapline. If you shoot a lynx on a trappers line he may be hunting you as you are affecting his bottom line.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Most of the green area of Alberta is a Registered Trapline. If you shoot a lynx on a trappers line he may be hunting you as you are affecting his bottom line.
Not to mention legalities of hunting Lynx.

LC
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM

They come to a rabbit call and a mouse squeaker readily. Call around every 10 minutes loud at first for a couple of calls the softly therafter. The ones I called in took upwards of 45 minutes. If you see one coming in close use the squeaker. No sudden movements. No sudden movements. Use your camera. I have had them pop up in front of me 15 to 20 feet away in fairly open areas. It's a shock when you figure that there is no way they could get that close without you seeing them. Every thing else will come in also including Mountain Lions if they are in your area.
I called for many years, I loved it. Didn't always shoot stuff. Even had coyote pups sniffing my boots trying to figure out what I was. Kinda makes your week when that happens. O YES! you can only fool them once.
Have fun