Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
what a bunch of whiners!!.
if you don't like the rules....don't enter!.
i've done/been involved in coyote tourneys for years and those running them keep the fur. so what?.
guess what guys...........all coyotes are NOT WORTH 100.00$ like everyone thinks.
i remember when coyotes were not worth 5$.
met some of my best friends at these tourneys and you can learn alot from those that are good at it.

I don't agree with some peoples methods of expressing their opinions, but it's an interenet forum and it's expected. On the other hand some people here are simply saying their 2 cents and those ideas could be used in the future to make things run smoother.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
So the top team won $900 for 10 dogs,nice.
Minus $720 in lost fur,minus $100 entry fee.....they're +80 bucks for being top dogs....might a covered their gas?
Yayyyyy,were #1!!
Better I spose then every other team that went in the hole?
Yes, the top team came in with 10 coyotes and the pay out was $900.00. The entry fee was $50.00 for a 2 person team and the side bets were $10.00 per category per team if they wanted in on them. Second place was 5 coyotes and third was 3 coyotes. The side bets paid out $320 each category and the top team took home one of the side bet prizes. That means they took home $1220.00 less their $90.00 and gas money.

Most guys that hunt coyotes don't do their own skinning, and sell to fur buyers. Some guys don't even pick them up off the fields that they hunt. So the point that you are trying to make is irrelevant.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotesnare View Post
Yes, the top team came in with 10 coyotes and the pay out was $900.00. The entry fee was $50.00 for a 2 person team and the side bets were $10.00 per category per team if they wanted in on them. Second place was 5 coyotes and third was 3 coyotes. The side bets paid out $320 each category and the top team took home one of the side bet prizes. That means they took home $1220.00 less their $90.00 and gas money.

Most guys that hunt coyotes don't do their own skinning, and sell to fur buyers. Some guys don't even pick them up off the fields that they hunt. So the point that you are trying to make is irrelevant.

Thanks!
Paul
Thank you Paul for saying what I was thinking. Most people don't do anything with their coyotes. Usually most are willing to just give them to someone because they don't have the time or care to bother with them. And to what I have heard from other tournament organizers, 50% have such large holes in them they are useless. As for $100 per coyote, that means you have skinned, dried, racked, washed, and brushed them. And that's saying they are even of quality. IF people are that worried about giving up there coyotes because they want to cash them in, they probably are not going to pay $100 plus fuel and what ever to go shoot coyotes. they will probably just go out and do it on there own and at there own pace.

As for what I am going to do with any profits from this event.. that is still to be determined. I may take a portion of it and have a random draw for all the contestants. Maybe an extra payout after I see how much I get from them... Maybe I will take a trip far away from all the BS I've heard LOL. Maybe it will be a terrible weekend and only 3 will be shot. Then there is nothing extra. Maybe I will put the profits aside for next year and have some stellar prizes. I will be honest, I will probably pocket a portion of the money for my time and effort. I'm not looking to get rich, just hold an event because I "thought" it would be fun. I've never done anything like this before, and I am starting to see why most people don't.

I'm at this point still going to hold the event... as long as I feel there is an adequate number of teams interested. I don't want to waste anyones time if only a few teams are interested.... I'm happy just to head out and thin my hunting areas of predators....
Old 11-22-2015, 11:41 PM

I talked with a fur buyer after the event last January and was offered $15.00 each for 15 of them, and not interested in the rest. I could not let them go for that as I have to cover costs. So just a heads up if you are looking to sell them.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 11-23-2015, 05:30 AM

ABB. i hope it goes well.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
So the top team won $900 for 10 dogs,nice.
Minus $720 in lost fur,minus $100 entry fee.....they're +80 bucks for being top dogs....might a covered their gas?
Yayyyyy,were #1!!
Better I spose then every other team that went in the hole?
grinr, if your hunting skills are as good as your math skills, you'd do well to steer clear of this kind of contest. How the heck do you figure your "out" 720.00 from the 900.00 you put in your pocket? All you would have left behind is 10 unprocessed yotes that might get you 20.00 each sold whole as is. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I could understand keeping any yotes you harvest near the end of the contest for yourself if you know you have no chance of being in the money, But you don't know that going in.
Putting some money in your pocket at the end of a nice coyote hunt sounds like a good day to me, and no skinning, fleshing or forming required.
To the OP, good luck on your contest. You will never please everyone.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 AM

how do we enter? following your FB page. New to the area out of strathcona county. are there any other of these types of hunts in the area?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre5 View Post
how do we enter? following your FB page. New to the area out of strathcona county. are there any other of these types of hunts in the area?
Just PM me here or Leave a message on the facebook page.... I will get the info to you as soon as things are finalized.

Thank you.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

So the contest is open to hunting all areas of Alberta, but you have to drive to the Edmonton area to register your coyotes by a certain time ?

Kinda puts the guys south of Red Deer (ie: Calgary) at a serious disadvantage, if they even decide to enter...

Is a second weigh-in point for the Calgary area possible ? I'd like to enter,but...
Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 AM

If I lived in the area I would have no issues attending the contest with this rule set. It's like every other contest I have seen. Good luck and hope many coyotes get taken.

PCFGA on Facebook