Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM

Default Elk Hunting tips/late season

Going around crooked creek, know a farmer who owns a huge valley thats all treed and has a creek running through it. We went there a couple years ago and started talking back and forth with a 3 by 3 that had a few cows with him but he was a 400 yard shot into the valley and wasn't prepared at the time for that kind of shooting. That was early season and they aren't all hiding like they are now. Need all the last minute tips, leaving thursday night.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 PM

If the elk are on that property, I'd still hunt the valley.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Find where they are feeding (should be easy if there is snow and elk are in the area) then find a place to get hidden and stau warm until they show up. Easy peasy, on paper.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
If the elk are on that property, I'd still hunt the valley.
I plan on it. Should I be in the valley waiting at night or on the feild beside the valley at night. Wondering same for mornings? Farmer says once snow hits they usually hit the feild to feed but that's in December usually
Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM

In my experience, if there's any other hunting pressure or the field they are feeding in is visible from a road, you'd do well to count on them not making it to the field during legal shooting times. Sometimes they do but you could sit and wait at a field edge for days and not see them during legal.

Know where they want to be, know where they are and try and get them in between.

They'll be on their feet milling around in the timber at some point(s) through-out the day....
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 PM

Supposedly lots of people bugle for them wait for a response, locate where it came from then track them down. But since it's really rough terrain in there it wouldn't be quiet and with snow it would be exhausting