Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Default Berger bullets

I am done with Berger bullets between a buddy and me we have lost 5 deer this year to Bergers. I have a 270wsm and he has a 7m rm. 3 of the deer were does and side front shoulder shots 2 from me and 1 from him standing still under 200 yards. All 3 deer were here t hard dragging front leg after shot! No blood found on the 2 I shot and almost no blood on my buddy's deer. I am sure I have never found a deer with the bergers before thought it was my shot tell I started using barns tax and never lost a deer with them! Just wanted people to know we think these bullets are junk! And would like to know what you have found with them?
Neather of us will ever shot them agen!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 PM

i think its more of the shooters fault than the bullets fault.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM

Shoulder shots with a Berger.
Whodathunkit.
Shoulda switched to Amax's I guess.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM

I've personally never had a problem with Berger, I've never needed a blood trail because the animals have never made another step. Only thing I can think of is if you are reloading with the target ammo and the bullet is not exploding in the cavity.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM

My results have been the complete opposite. I have only shot 3 bucks with them but of the three only one didn't die in its tracks , it went 20 yards before piling up.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM

Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM

Just to clarify, you had 5 deer tags and hit 5 deer. Only the 3 does dragging their front leg, and 2 bucks also not recovered but not dragging leg either?
I think I'll share some with sns2
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 PM

What a waste, 5 deer?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Just to clarify, you had 5 deer tags and hit 5 deer. Only the 3 does dragging their front leg, and 2 bucks also not recovered but not dragging leg either?
Lmao! Exactly.... The OP is out to lunch and looking to stir the pot.

I've seen Bergers knock down 3 elk this year and all 3 times the bullets were very effective.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
I am done with Berger bullets between a buddy and me we have lost 5 deer this year to Bergers. I have a 270wsm and he has a 7m rm. 3 of the deer were does and side front shoulder shots 2 from me and 1 from him standing still under 200 yards. All 3 deer were here t hard dragging front leg after shot! No blood found on the 2 I shot and almost no blood on my buddy's deer. I am sure I have never found a deer with the bergers before thought it was my shot tell I started using barns tax and never lost a deer with them! Just wanted people to know we think these bullets are junk! And would like to know what you have found with them?
Never shoot them again. That's a good plan. (I am running low)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 PM

I'll have some too. We've never lost anything shot with a Berger in any caliber. As a tip for the Op - I've found that aiming a little further back from the shoulder works better and wastes less meat.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 AM

I don't use bergers, and most likely never will, but can't see a berger not working on a deer. If the deer were walking away packing a front leg it sounds like you were probably hitting too far forward and too low on the leg. You must not have clipped vitals. A deer shoulder is no big deal for most bullets to break through, but you need to hit vitals as well. The only time I have ever seen deer take off packing a front leg is when just the leg was broken and no vitals were hit. I believe there are better bullets out there for moose and elk, but just about anything that opens up well should work just fine on a deer.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 AM

Better work on that shot placement.
I shoot Berger 168's out of my 7MM RM. Took two shots last Saturday. One at a nice Buck at 762 yards and another one at a smaller deer under 100 yards. No blood trail tracking required on either one.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 11-25-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Shoulder shots with a Berger.
Whodathunkit.
Shoulda switched to Amax's I guess.
your on fire today dick!!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:59 AM

One simply has to understand the the terminal ballistics of Berger's prior to their use. Shoulders or other hard obstructions will not be your friend. Soft tissue is another matter.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:

5 deer shot and none recovered? I don;t care what bullet you are using that is really poor performance by the hunters. With your shooting and tracking skills you should probably consider giving up hunting all together.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
5 deer shot and none recovered? I don;t care what bullet you are using that is really poor performance by the hunters. With your shooting and tracking skills you should probably consider giving up hunting all together.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM

I love the Bergers! 3 shots 3 animals in the last few years. Mind you I don't aim for the shoulder..........

Bergers for 270 wsm are getting hard to find. I'm glad your not shooting them anymore.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 AM

I hope more people don't like them so there's some on the shelf when I need to buy more!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Dragging front leg could also mean point of impact was....front leg. Even if you shot the front leg using a 50cal, most deer will survive on 3 legs and not be found.

Not to be a dick, but many a sportsman will voluntarily consider their tag "used" if they wounded a deer but didn't retrieve it.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I'll have some too. We've never lost anything shot with a Berger in any caliber. As a tip for the Op - I've found that aiming a little further back from the shoulder works better and wastes less meat.
Strange, I gave shot a pile of animals with hunting and match bullets in various calibres and at various distances over the last 50 years of do,
Never lost a deer that was hit in the lungs , that's where I aim most of the time .
Cat
Old 11-25-2015, 01:31 PM

where's your code of ethics man?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Never shoot them again. That's a good plan. (I am running low)
I'd be interested in hearing your experience on game with them.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Ah ya 6 tags not 5. 2 guys and 2 general and 4 sup tags but never put a tag on any of those deer! And to clear things up if you do your draws wright you can shoot 16-17 deer in one year learn to read the regs!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Vld ??

Just have to stir the pot more and ask are you using the VLD Hunters in the orange box or VLD yellow box. I have had a string of very impressive one shot kills with Bergers and my 280. Last 2 Moose, 1 mule buck and 3 WTs have all been instant kills.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your experience on game with them.
I have only shot 3 big game animals with them. 1st whitetail 15m then dead, 2nd whitetail died in it shadow, cow moose 3 steps and dead.

This was a 140gr Hunting VLD 6.5mm at 2900fps.

Shot many coyotes with the 64gr 0.224" out of my 22-250 with very good results.

Next year I am concentrating on elk hunting and am planning to move to an accubond. I think the accubond should be a little more forgiving if bone is encountered on the way in.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Not with a rifle you cant.
But really something doesn't add up here I am not a berger fan but that is not because they don't kill and even a shoulder shot on a deer should have them down quickly.

Are you sure you were in the right spot? To not find any blood seems odd to me.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Just have to stir the pot more and ask are you using the VLD Hunters in the orange box or VLD yellow box. I have had a string of very impressive one shot kills with Bergers and my 280. Last 2 Moose, 1 mule buck and 3 WTs have all been instant kills.
Yep orange box for me and hsm for my buddy!
Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Not with a rifle you cant.
But really something doesn't add up here I am not a berger fan but that is not because they don't kill and even a shoulder shot on a deer should have them down quickly.

Are you sure you were in the right spot? To not find any blood seems odd to me.
I watched 2 of the shots and did 2 of the shots both of mine felt good and was told they looked good! I aim 1/2 way up just behind the front leg! The 2 ****s I watched looked perfect the 5th shot I was not their! So I can not say!
And ya no blood is odd!but hard to track with no blood! Not sure how you track with no snow and no blood in a deer rich area!
I have had great luck with tsx and have never lost a deer with them but was looking for some longer range stuff!
Old 11-25-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I watched 2 of the shots and did 2 of the shots both of mine felt good and was told they looked good! I aim 1/2 way up just behind the front leg! The 2 ****s I watched looked perfect the 5th shot I was not their! So I can not say!
And ya no blood is odd!but hard to track with no blood! Not sure how you track with no snow and no blood in a deer rich area!
I have had great luck with tsx and have never lost a deer with them but was looking for some longer range stuff!
Maybe something like the Nosler Long Range Accubond is more fitting for your desires. I keep looking around for them but they do not seem to come into my close purchasing circles.