Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Default Best Camo Options

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could ask for advice from the group in regards to cold weather camo. Here's the situation, I hunt down in the porcupine hills, we make a 1000ft elevation change trek up hills to get to our spot. By the time we get up there, we are usually sweating like crazy and we usually change out most of our gear. We also don't usually stalk our prey, we usually hunker down in our spots and wait. This year with the weather being as mild as it has been it hasn't been an issue, but normally it's -20 and there's a -10 wind chill.

I purchased some camo from Cabelas called Stand Hunter Extreme which was extremely warm, but I found that the outside material would pile up and pull off the camo whenever it got wet, so I ended up returning it.

Now I'm in the spot of having to replace it with something else. I'd like bibs with full side vents based on our walk, but at this point I'm more looking for advice on what everyone else uses for the type of weather and cover that we have in southern Alberta, near the porcupines.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM

Sitka and First lite have great layering systems. Try wearing just a base layer or a light jacket for your hike, then put an insulation layer on when you get to your spot.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Default Cammo

Get an a sat leafy suit and wear it over whatever clothing you like best. It's fantastic stuff.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Layers of wool or fleece are key, with maybe a soft shell outer layer to cut the wind when you're not moving. Predator Stealth are good heavyweight fleece jackets and pants in wintery colours, but they're only available by order from their website. I think the Cabelas house brand has something similar. Or check out First Lite if you have a bigger budget.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 PM

Onca Gear is great stuff. Similar to Kuiu gear but no duty on it. Google it
Old 11-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Get an a sat leafy suit and wear it over whatever clothing you like best. It's fantastic stuff.
I own one of these suits. I love the camo pattern, and the way this blends. But I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the suit. For something that cost me over $220.00 after shipping, I expected much more. Canadian tire was selling way better quality ghillie suits a year or so ago for like $40.00, I wish I bought one of them instead!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Sitka x2
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 PM

One thing I'm always surprised about: very little camo in the big stores is in winter colours. It's November in Alberta, odds are there's gonna be snow on the ground, so why is it 95% forest green camo?

And lots of the sizes are 2XL, even 3XL. Some of you need to get out of the truck more.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
One thing I'm always surprised about: very little camo in the big stores is in winter colours. It's November in Alberta, odds are there's gonna be snow on the ground, so why is it 95% forest green camo?

And lots of the sizes are 2XL, even 3XL. Some of you need to get out of the truck more.

Again I say. I have been really impressed with Onca Gear both in leaf foliage as well as snow. And camos in great with the rocks while mountain hunting. Seems to be a great all around camo.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm going to check out the onca stuff and the leafy suit. I'm in agreement though on the big store stuff. I've been disappointed with the type of gear there for Canadian hunters and the camo patterns just don't line up with our environments from what I can see. They also seem to lack quantity, which goes along with the 2xl, 3xl comments. I need a large at most, but it doesn't ever seem to be there.

I have a set of Sitka Celsius gear but I just don't think it would be anywhere near warm enough even with a proper layering system, and Sitka is just so expensive.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Default Onca

I've been very close to lots of deer and moose wearing onca gear. Wasn't 100% sure about it at first, but my hunting partners seem to be convinced it works very well.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 PM

the sitka incinerator jacket is made for stand hunting in the late season, but it is also slightly overpriced. If you end up getting the onca stuff let us know how it is!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM

Sitka gear has my vote. Is camo really necessary, no. If you want performace clothing for the active style of hunting you have explained without the KUIU, Sitka, etc price. Then look at company's like North face, Helly Hansen, so forth.They will be less expensive for some pretty decent gear. Yes some of them probably do not exactly support/fund hunting directly but what other products do you buy that do.

my 2 cents
Old 11-24-2015, 12:13 PM

I don't work for Onca, I don't get a cut of sales. I just like the stuff. I sold all my Under Armour gear on kijiji because I never use it anymore. Bang for you buck you won't go wrong. Exchanges are free and customer support it the best of all the gear I have bought. The snow doesn't stick to it like the leafy suit. I always feel light weight and mobile. Good stuff.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:20 PM

So I just looked at the ONCA stuff but it doesn't look like they have a bib system. I think I'm looking at the right place, https://oncagear.com/

I might give them a call to see what they suggest. But just back to one question based on what I mentioned earlier and looking at this gear. To the guys suggesting ONCA, do you really think layering in with this gear will keep you warm sitting in a spot with pretty good wind conditions and freezing temperatures?

I could see it if you were moving around, stalking and the walk in, but after that it just looks like I would freeze! I could totally be wrong though.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Ya give Kyle a call. The layering system works really well. They have insulation jacket and pants at fold down to nothing. It hunts and tests his gear in the mountains of BC. It stands up well.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Hi Luckwell,

Thanks. I just talked to someone over there and it looks like they have coveralls or something. They don't have bibs, but she was suggesting that the coveralls would be killer for where I'm going and the hunt we're on.

She's going to send me some pics and I will put those up for you guys to see when I get them.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upongrassy View Post
Sitka gear has my vote. Is camo really necessary, no. If you want performace clothing for the active style of hunting you have explained without the KUIU, Sitka, etc price. Then look at company's like North face, Helly Hansen, so forth.They will be less expensive for some pretty decent gear. Yes some of them probably do not exactly support/fund hunting directly but what other products do you buy that do.

my 2 cents
Truth. There's usually a "camo tax" on anything marketed to hunters, and comparable gear intended for other outdoor activities can often be found for less.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gschaynes View Post
Hi Luckwell,

Thanks. I just talked to someone over there and it looks like they have coveralls or something. They don't have bibs, but she was suggesting that the coveralls would be killer for where I'm going and the hunt we're on.

She's going to send me some pics and I will put those up for you guys to see when I get them.

Thanks!

Please do! There website needs some updating. I heard they had rain gear as well I was hoping to buy this winter.

Interested to see the coveralls.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Here you go, I talked with Nikita. She said that the coveralls and bibs won't be available till next fall. I'm still waiting on pricing etc.

I like the overall look of the coveralls, but I'd be really concerned with moving around in them, you obviously can't take the jacket part off if you're walking back etc. or if in the afternoon it got a bit warmer. Not sure yet how you'd deal with that. Anyways, here are the pics of what she sent.

Last edited by Gschaynes; 11-24-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Ya that's the IBEXshell. That's the gear I have. I have never been cold. It is extremely wind proof, wicks away the moisture. Buddy had it in a side by side this year and was warmer than I was in my carharts.

Just talked to Kyle today and they will be at the red deer sports show will all there new gear.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 PM

ill second that comment regarding 'predator stealth'. I have a jacket and its good all year long.

most i've done is worn a layer or two underneath it. its good looking camo, and you can't beat fleece for warmth/and being quiet.

my thoughts.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 PM

Stick to the classics. Wool, fleece and denim. It's cheaper too