Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Default Wmu 510 bull moose

Hey has anyone seen any bull moose in this zone this year? I have seen more then 20 cow and calf and lots of wt, mule and lots of elk. Anyone with a location of where one of these Bulls would be hanging out would be awesome!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM

Apparently the bowhunter's killed them all.....
Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Had the same results last year with my buddy that drew a bull tag there. Cows and calves everywhere and not 1 bull sighting. Once the season was over out came the bulls. Its as though they head deep into the bush, do not walk the trails at all and stay that way until the shooting stops. Compared notes with lots of locals and long time hunters of that zone and they said the same thing. Good luck with your quest, I think it is going to be tough to close that tag. Hope you see one, that would be 100% better than the luck we had last year.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 PM

been hunting that zone for 16 yrs on private property.moose numbers are way down. I bow hunt and rifle and have only seen 2 bulls all season, almost three months and hunt with buddys and just as much not seen by them. I believe that when SRD decided that 510 had the highest population of moose in the province 3 yrs ago they issued a ton of tags. my hunting partners and I run into way to many people from GP to Calgary and all points between, all with moose tags and cutting fences because the grass seemed greener on our side than theirs. had to run dozens of hunter off our private landt told us they had permission to be hunting there. when I know they damn well didn't because we did not give them permission to hunt our private land. Anyway they were shooting all the moose they could see then a couple of harsh winters, yotie numbers up and wolf tracks everywhere in my opinion that has what has dropped the moose numbers. SRD IS the ones to blame for numbers being down predators take there share but not that many critters. that is my thought on the problem with WMU 510.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channonmanuel View Post
Hey has anyone seen any bull moose in this zone this year? I have seen more then 20 cow and calf and lots of wt, mule and lots of elk. Anyone with a location of where one of these Bulls would be hanging out would be awesome!
????????????

Fill your elk tag and be done with it.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 PM

Saw a herd of 50-60 but couldn't 100 percent confirm a shooter, were only a couple there that were close 20-25 Bulls mostly spikers. Might try tomorrow one last time for moose then switch to the elk for last couple days
Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 PM

I'll be hunting 510 the last 5 days of the season I'll send you a msg if I spot one.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM

I hunt 510 and have no trouble finding moose. One bit of advice.... i rarely see one in November riding/driving around. Get in the bush.

Not sure what part of 510 you are hunting but if your area got some of this snow then its a great time to find some tracks and go after them.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 AM

i had the opposite problem....looking for a calf for a friend and all we can find is bulls and calfless cows
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
i had the opposite problem....looking for a calf for a friend and all we can find is bulls and calfless cows

Lol well you tell me where a bull is and I can tell you were I have seen one cow and calf about 8-9 times
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Apparently the bowhunter's killed them all.....
I knew it
Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 PM

I am having the identical problem in 509.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channonmanuel View Post
Lol well you tell me where a bull is and I can tell you were I have seen one cow and calf about 8-9 times
Annnnnd we wonder why so many tags are filled and no animals are left

Good luck with it. Wouldn't be surprised if you see moose after dropping an elk or season ending
Old 11-25-2015, 06:56 AM

Was out their in bow season 4-5 years ago and ran into a native camp that had 11 moose hanging so I packed up and left! Have not gone back since